Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fault Code 1251 (Turbo)

Mulroy

Hi All

I have had problems with my Previa going into limp home/safe mode over a number of years with code 1251 coming up.

Apparently this code indicates a turbo problem.

The main dealership have never got to the bottom of this and after reading posts on here I am not sure that they will

I am reluctant to spend out more on this fault. I have read of people having the turbo replaced only to have the same fault code coming up after a while. also people reconditioning/repairing the turbo and having the same result

I am sure this is an inherent problem on at least Previas and Ravs that is causing owners a lot of money and which is not being cured long term.

The problem presents huge safety issues, as I know from my own experience (overtaking on the M5 in the middle lane and suddenly in limp home mode)

I am on a mission to find out the extent of the problem amongst owners.

I am wondering if it is an Engine Management Technical System fault rather than an engine parts problem. It can be 12 months between the limp home mode happening with no action taken in between. Surely if the turbo had a problem it would happen much more often.

If you have come across it youself or on here please let me know.

Also has anyone heard of people selling their cars because they were unhappy/couldn't get to the bottom of this problem.

We may have a recall situation here!!

Thanks

If this is the same engine as in the RAV, try copying this post in the RAV section.... or I'll try copying it and see if some of the oil-burning fanatics there might help.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem in Previa at 70,000 miles. Toyota wanted £2500 to 'fix'. I used two bottles of fuel treatment and a can of Halfords 10k boost. Problem went away for 9800 miles. Came back a few weeks ago, so I did the same but it's come back after 500 miles this time. I'm lead to believe it's the blades sooting up in the turbo. We're on the verge of selling the car because of this unless a looming switch to biodiesel (made in my garage) will help by giving less soot.

Surprised there isn't a fix of an inlet on the turbo for oven cleaner! (unless it's a different fault in the electrics as you wonder!).

Would love to know as we like the car and have 4 kids so really don't want to sell.

• 3 months later...

Finally seemed to have fixed this problem.

I tested the Air mass meter, VSV sensor (Toyota workshop manual actually shows air flow through it back to front which really threw me - nearly replaced it!) and SCV's all ok.

Just removed and decoked the EGR. Wasn't much in it to be honest. Soaked it in brake cleaner for 10 mins, then blasted out with pressure washer. Plunger moves up and down easily now. Re-installed and she's fixed. Flies upto to 5000 revs again in all gears (we'll, not tried 5th at that speed!).

Pleased with a nice easy (less than 60mins) fix!

Looks like, Halfords 10k boost and an EGR clean every now and then will be an easy and cheap fix in comparison to a new turbo.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally seemed to have fixed this problem.

I tested the Air mass meter, VSV sensor (Toyota workshop manual actually shows air flow through it back to front which really threw me - nearly replaced it!) and SCV's all ok.

Just removed and decoked the EGR. Wasn't much in it to be honest. Soaked it in brake cleaner for 10 mins, then blasted out with pressure washer. Plunger moves up and down easily now. Re-installed and she's fixed. Flies upto to 5000 revs again in all gears (we'll, not tried 5th at that speed!).

Pleased with a nice easy (less than 60mins) fix!

Looks like, halfords 10k boost and an EGR clean every now and then will be an easy and cheap fix in comparison to a new turbo.

Very interested to read this thread. I've owned a 2003 Previa D4D for 2 years and during this time it has gone into limp home mode three times, always when driving at about 60 mph in 5th gear. I now carry a 10mm spanner in the glove compartment now so I can jump out and disconnect the Battery and clear the fault.

It just happened again today in the fast lane of the motorway with the kids in the back and we are now on the verge of selling it as we just cannot trust this car.

It's been to two Toyota main dealers and an independent garage but no one can find anything wrong. This first time it happenend the breakdown mechanic said there was a fault code indicating excessive air temperature in the turbo.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an EGR, where is it, and how difficult a job is it to clean it?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Toyota have messed up big time with these turbo's , when i had them check mine they quoted over a grand for ( get this ) an exchange unit which correct me if I'm wrong is a recon unit , looks like Toyota won;t want to get to the bottom as they are making a fortune out of replacing turbos .

My Previa D4D has had the same trouble now the turbo has failed I can;t get the 1500 quid I've been quoted by the garage to get it done so it's sat on the roadside doing nothing , it's only worth scrap value at the moment which is about 300 quid .

What amazes me is the minute you say Toyota , you can expect your repair bills to double .

The sad thing being it's been a lovely car to drive but the turbo fault lets an otherwise good car down

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like ours had two problems, unrelated but giving similar symptoms.

The sticky turbo as sorted with Halfords 10k boost and I've decoked the rest of the system (I think) with some BG244 for diesels. I've also switched to a 50/50 mix of diesel with my home made biodiesel to reduce carbon in the system (she goes well on it!).

The issue of no grunt over 3000 rpm seems to have been a daft one. Cleaning the EGR helped but it wasn't the problem, nor was the turbo.

I bought a filter kit from eBay (air filter, fuel filter and oil filter). With the radio off, you can hear what sounds like a plastic flap closing at 2000rpm. It is in fact the air filter moving in the box because it's not allowing enough air past. It appears clean, however it's simply not deep enough so it moves and although it isn't blocked, it doesn't flow enough. With no air filter she goes like a rocket.

Back to basics, check compression, spark (not in a diesel obviously) and fuel supply (air and diesel).

I'll buy a proper one next time.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I have had problems with my Previa going into limp home/safe mode over a number of years with code 1251 coming up.

Apparently this code indicates a turbo problem.

The main dealership have never got to the bottom of this and after reading posts on here I am not sure that they will

I am reluctant to spend out more on this fault. I have read of people having the turbo replaced only to have the same fault code coming up after a while. also people reconditioning/repairing the turbo and having the same result

I am sure this is an inherent problem on at least Previas and Ravs that is causing owners a lot of money and which is not being cured long term.

The problem presents huge safety issues, as I know from my own experience (overtaking on the M5 in the middle lane and suddenly in limp home mode)

I am on a mission to find out the extent of the problem amongst owners.

I am wondering if it is an Engine Management Technical System fault rather than an engine parts problem. It can be 12 months between the limp home mode happening with no action taken in between. Surely if the turbo had a problem it would happen much more often.

If you have come across it youself or on here please let me know.

Also has anyone heard of people selling their cars because they were unhappy/couldn't get to the bottom of this problem.

We may have a recall situation here!!

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Sorry for my english.

I drive a Previa d4d year 2004.

Have had lots of problem with my engine code p1251 and others.

Loss of power between 2200-2300 and 2700-2800 rpm.

If I kept the throttle on, limp home and warning lights would come on.

Have been changing sensors, Maf and other parts also.

Toyota said I need to change the turbo.

Finally took it to boost leak test (not sure if this is the right word for it, but they checked that after the turbo nothing is leaking.)

And found that I had a leak near the intercooler.

The leak was well hidden, it took a while to be found.

(The smaller hose that comes from the intercooler, and goes directly to dump valve, was damaged.

It has a clamp that is supposed to hold the hose and it had almost cut the hose.

My guess is that it is because of resonance.

Because the the hose was broken, it didn´t open the dump).

The hose was replaced.

Now she has no symptoms at all, she´s running fine and accelerating in all gears (not 5th) up to 5200 rpm.

Hope someone has help from this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links