Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running Costs Corolla T Sport

CorollaTS05

i suppose 7-10 years ago running one of these cars wouldnt have been too bad when fuel was half the price and tax and insurance wasnt so bad, but lately its getting beyond a joke just fueling it. A lot of the newer turbo hot hatches claim to be a lot better on fuel i.e. 45mpg + combined figures but the corolla if found tends to average in the low 20s generally for me. tax is up next month and thats now £129.00 for 6 months. how ppl are affording to modify these things as well as run them iv no idea lol. im spending a tank of fuel a week now £60 £129 on tax every 6 months and £1400 on insurance. Im looking at going down the warm hatch route but strugling to find anything i like without keep going back to the yaris t sport iv already owned....

anyone else thinking of downgrading? if so what for?

Nope not feeling the pinch mate, I run mine on super unleaded and normally do a tank a week and sometimes a whole tank over weekend,

i suppose 7-10 years ago running one of these cars wouldnt have been too bad when fuel was half the price and tax and insurance wasnt so bad, but lately its getting beyond a joke just fueling it. A lot of the newer turbo hot hatches claim to be a lot better on fuel i.e. 45mpg + combined figures but the corolla if found tends to average in the low 20s generally for me. tax is up next month and thats now £129.00 for 6 months. how ppl are affording to modify these things as well as run them iv no idea lol. im spending a tank of fuel a week now £60 £129 on tax every 6 months and £1400 on insurance. Im looking at going down the warm hatch route but strugling to find anything i like without keep going back to the yaris t sport iv already owned....

anyone else thinking of downgrading? if so what for?

I guess it depends on a few things like how much money you have to spare and how old you are. Im guessing that you are fairly young due to your high insurance cost but please correct me if I am wrong. I have a compressor and thats only £400 to insure.

With regards to running cost, if you want good MPG then a performance petrol is not the way to go. You need a Diesel of some sort.

that a lot for insurance how old are you? im paying £680 fully comp and im 25

ive done 75 quid in fuel this week and mostly short journeys and have done 400 mile thats about 33mpg and i drive it quite hard :thumbsup:

im 22 1 yrs no claim every one else besides elephant wanted 3 - 5k! yeh depends on how heavy ur wallet is but its just crazy the price of fuel at the moment, if it goes much higher suppose il just have to go for derv... just anoying as well how our tax keeps going up and up and some cars now have free tax and £25 road tax for the year, i know its all about emissions but thats a massive jump. still i suppose you have to get some benifits for having to drive say an aygo go.

£20/week fuel for the 2 mile round trip to work (yes i know i could walk but that would be a waste of a car! :lol: )

Insurance is £400

Car tax due end of this month... robbing censored.gif

But... i'm still tempted to get a more sensible car...

A Supra! You only live once! Can't take your cash with you!! :lol:

lol a supra, more sensible - live the dream!

I have a pal with a 350hp evo an he gets the same mpg as me :-( .

But i know what your saying im not feeling the pintch yet but can be expensive some times.

my tax is also due end of the month and yes mpg in the high 20s as an average can be a issue ,but when 6200 rpm arrives thats all forgotton :D

• Like 1

all this makes me think that im never going to buy and own a t sport :(

never going to experience lift :(

never going to whip a type r :(

When i was 22 i was driving a BMW 325 with 3 years no claim, fully comp for just under 700.

You're getting ripped off mate.

I'm 25 now and my 1.4 corolla is costing my 350 fully comp. (have 6 points too)

Find a decent company (don't trust those online insurance comparison sites, you can find MUCH cheaper companies if you do it the old fashioned way) and see if they can do you any discounts.

For instance, my parents were looking to renew their policy around the same time as mine so i got in with Admiral who do you each with your own personal policy that is under the umbrella of a home multi-car policy and instead of most companies that give you a discount on the 2'nd, 3'rd car e.t.c they do a discount on the first car too. So i got my mum, dad and sister to join admiral and that's a massive saving for everyone. And just to be clear we do each have our own policies, it's not like some multi-car packages that insurance companies do where you're all tied into the one policy for the household.

Also, add one or both of your parents as named drivers to your policy. This usually (depends on company) takes a massive chunk off your premium too.

Also try any local insurance companies. they often have some good rates.

you won't be whipping any type-r's in a normal un-modded t-sport anyway mate, so i wouldn't worry if i was you ;-)

you won't be whipping any type-r's in a normal un-modded t-sport anyway mate, so i wouldn't worry if i was you ;-)

He would if it was a FN2 :thumbsup: !. I can afford to run one but cant afford to mod it. We get robbed on our insurance cos of our postcode.

not feeling it at all, i run mine on super, long as your not a light to light boy racer she will get 40mpg, so its all good

not feeling it at all, i run mine on super, long as your not a light to light boy racer she will get 40mpg, so its all good

40mpg?? Toyota stats say combined 34mpg av

I've only ever got near that on a long motorway run.

To get 40mpg you usually need to stay below 4000rpm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the point in that.................may as well get any Aygo.........they can hit almost 100mph in 3rd!

The only other car I have know to get this speed in 3rd is a Celica GT.

im getting 51mpg with my 2ltr D4D. :thumbsup:

I would just like to say..... i hate you....

27mpg censored.gif

:lol:

He would if it was a FN2 :thumbsup: !. I can afford to run one but cant afford to mod it. We get robbed on our insurance cos of our postcode.

FN2? still no chance.

There's definitely some pinch to be felt. I had to renew tax at the end of last month, £235 for the year, that's £4.52 a week before even driving anywhere (even more if you're only paying for 6 months at a time)!

Road works on my journey to and from work, as well as the cold weather, are also not helping my MPG, although the worst I've had on a tank since picking up my FL at the start of December is 28.7mpg, I'm still running it on V Power. Generally, even with a bit of 'hard driving' and lift I can keep the average for a tank above 30mpg. The best I ever got out of my PFL on a tank, based on the trip computer, was 35.6mpg (with an average speed of 33mph). That was Tesco 99 on a mixture of long and shorter runs.

On the plus side the cost of parts and being able to service most things myself keep maintenance costs under control. This also helps prevent any nasty suprises and cost at MoT time. Tyres will probably be the next big hit for me.

FN2? still no chance.

I would say its all about the driver mate

I've got the 1.4 and can barely keep the MPG above 35-40.

it's not my driving either, i can get almost 55mpg out of my sisters vw polo 1.4

40mpg?? Toyota stats say combined 34mpg av

I've only ever got near that on a long motorway run.

i would love to see what you need to do to achieve that ,i run mine on tesco 99 and i can swear the range per 20quid is lower than any other provider .v power gets me a bit further

iv not even had my tsport 6 whole months yet ,petrol will have to get to £2 a litre before i sell it and get a french snotta

but yes the pinch is definatley being felt ,cant wait to graduate so i can afford more mods :yahoo: