Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg Increased 16%!

harrypotter:)

So i noticed our prius had been hovering about 49mpg all the time had reset trip computer and watched it go up 29/34/37ect up to between 46-49 whats going on i thought we were getting 56mpg at -9oc for days over 300+miles (in england!)so i decided to investigate and found the air cleaner totally blocked up with leaves insects and a long biuld up of dust so much that the inner housing underneith the filter which feeds air into engine AFTER going through filter was dirty so hoovered entire area ordered a new filter £10 but brushed out the old one fitted all back together. Today we has done 90odd miles at speed limits and me driving ie i boot it up to speed limit then flick in cruise control and there you have it readings of 57-62 mostly staying at 58.1-58.7mpg never had those readings in ages. So heres the point toyota say 4yrs or 40k for AIR CLEANER and DENSO IRDIUM PLUGS (dont go cheap if you do plugs yourself) resonable prices through Opie Oils!! She has only done 27k and not yet 3yr old (58)so what im saying is if you are getting lower figures quite simply unclip cover over enginge and remove and lift out air cleaner which is all one unit so dont pull out filter and if you buy one will come like it is. Gently with soft brush remove any particles but gentle you dont want to upset the fibres in filter. Hoover out housing which may hold creepy crawlies but make sure nothing goes down the right side of the filter housing as this is the clean side of the filterd air which should have no dirt in. Replace and clip down cover and you may get a huge increse in mpg. If the filter clogs up less air will go in engine causing poor mixture (i believe) if you are uncertain take it to a dealer but they will charge a lot if it is not 4yrsor 40k service is not due. Online sites will have a category where you can select your car getting exact part. Hope this helps some people.

My understanding is that they check the air filter at every service and replace if clogged. Mine is due its 40k service soon and my mpg's are as good as ever.

I do hear what you're saying though - my cabin filter was disgusting after 20k miles! Always worth checking the filters yourself or replace them yearly if you so wish. Personally I think manufacturers are pushing the service intervals a little too far - past what is probably good for the car.

Maybe someone like PartsKing could clarify?

My understanding is that they check the air filter at every service and replace if clogged. Mine is due its 40k service soon and my mpg's are as good as ever.

I do hear what you're saying though - my cabin filter was disgusting after 20k miles! Always worth checking the filters yourself or replace them yearly if you so wish. Personally I think manufacturers are pushing the service intervals a little too far - past what is probably good for the car.

Thats what i dont get i checked filter last year and noticed it bad and requested toyota to check and see what they thought,and said no problem with it they did point out the cabin filter needed replacing and quated 48quid i laughed and said i will do it myself £9.07 + 30seconds to fit. I think it all depends on the area you live and air quality i live in the country and get lots of dust in summer of fields ect Any way will check more often and use a bit of common sense, i think i have some?? :lol:

Has anyone tried a K&N style replacement filter instead of a standard one?

I know there's no real world performance to be gained here and none of us are probably interested in that, but letting the engine breath easier must help.

I know there's no real world performance to be gained here and none of us are probably interested in that, but letting the engine breath easier must help.

Have tried there site but drop down list didnt have prius on it have gone for a filter through ufi premium qaulity filters through oipe oils

The manufacturers are always pushing the limits, it's all to do with lowering the cost of ownership figures. You will also note that the handbooks will say "In exteme conditions check regularly" or similar. In other words, in an ideal world the filters SHOULD last that long but if you live in a leafy lane or the Gobi desert you might want to check a little more often :D:

A genuine Air Filter is nothing like the figure quoted above, they can be bought off me for half the price

Kingo :thumbsup:

My understanding is that they do allow the engine to breath better BUT at what expense to the long term life of your car? What else is it letting in with all that less restricted air?

Stick with the manufacturers filters and change them more often every 10k or 20k miles if it makes you happier.

Interesting point on the service intervals - we have a Nissan in the yard at home with the Renault 1.5 DCI engine

and when we bought it from an independant garage - we advised to have it serviced every 5000 miles (8000 kilometres).

I think the normal interval on these was around 10 to 12 000 miles or so.

While 5,000 miles may be seen on a modern car to be overegging the pudding - nonetheless doing that has to be

giving the modern turbodiesel every opportunity to avoid blowing up lol. Back on a serious note though - Alfa Romeo

had issues with timing belts snapping on the 156 years ago - and ive heard it said that the problem was that Alfa

wanted the car to appeal to the fleet market - and specified an interval of 72 000 miles. They since changed it back

to 36 000 miles - and as far as i know thats cured the problem.

Red diesel

Interesting point on the service intervals - we have a Nissan in the yard at home with the Renault 1.5 DCI engine

and when we bought it from an independant garage - we advised to have it serviced every 5000 miles (8000 kilometres).

I think the normal interval on these was around 10 to 12 000 miles or so.

While 5,000 miles may be seen on a modern car to be overegging the pudding - nonetheless doing that has to be

giving the modern turbodiesel every opportunity to avoid blowing up lol. Back on a serious note though - Alfa Romeo

had issues with timing belts snapping on the 156 years ago - and ive heard it said that the problem was that Alfa

wanted the car to appeal to the fleet market - and specified an interval of 72 000 miles. They since changed it back

to 36 000 miles - and as far as i know thats cured the problem.

Red diesel

some of the larger ford engines cam belts are supposed to go to 100000 miles.

talked to a workshop manager at a ford dealership and aked if the belt fails outside the warranty period and the vehicle has had all due sevices carried out at a ford dealers.will any repairs/belt be done free of charge cos the belt failed before the 100000 miles.

you guessed it NO.

so who would dare to leave a belt replacenent that long.

After reading this I checked my own gen2 filter and it's very dirty and full of insects etc. I've just reached 30,000 and whilst I was at it I checked the oil ( serviced recently) and it's half an inch above the top mark :ffs: so I guess I need to try and get some out as I read that it decreases mpg??

It's laughable that it's accepted that having it serviced 'professionally' is the way to ensure your vehicle is maintained properly :rolleyes:

Sounds like you got a main dealer service :unsure:

Serviced end of Nov by Toyota world B,ham just before it was traded in by the previous owner, I wonder if I can dribble some oil out by unscrewing the oil filter partway so it empties the filter itself which must be about a teacup full :wacko:

I've been using a K&N filter in mt Avensis without any problems to the MAF. Gives me about 2miles per gallon more fuel econemy. But one of the main things for me was given that my local dealer wanted something like £25 for there filter, and the K&N was £36 it made sence to have the K&N as it can be re-oiled and washed and used over and over again...

I think the K&N filter discussion is along the lines of Marmite - love or hate 'em.

Some of my fellow colleagues refuse to use them due to contamination issues over the longer term (remember we go to much higher mileages than most - 150k to 200k), whereas others have used them for performance and fuel economy gains.

One of those issues where you should know both sides of the story before using. Try a google search on k&n filter problems and balance that against the benefits some users have with them. :unsure:

I think the K&N filter discussion is along the lines of Marmite - love or hate 'em.

Some of my fellow colleagues refuse to use them due to contamination issues over the longer term (remember we go to much higher mileages than most - 150k to 200k), whereas others have used them for performance and fuel economy gains.

One of those issues where you should know both sides of the story before using. Try a google search on k&n filter problems and balance that against the benefits some users have with them. :unsure:

Your right, you either love um or hate um. Befor I decided to use it I looked long and hard at the evidence out there on the net. I asked alot of questions on the VW's owners site and it was mixed because of the issue with the MAF sensor. But the dealers on there all said that there is nothing wrong with the oil used on the filter with regards to MAF fouling. As a matter of course I clean the MAF using CRC just to be on the safe side.

So I guess its up to personnel preferences to what you go for. But to date I've not had any problems. Not to say that further down the line it could come and bite me in the ar*e! But being a driving instructor (for my sin's :bash: ) I do alot of mileage, not as much as the Taxi boys, but a far bit... :help:

It's all down to experience really.

I've always used K&N filters in all of my cars so far, most having well over 100k on the clock and had no problems. If there'd have been one for the Prius, I'd have had one in this too.

But yes, I've read of a number of people experiencing problems.

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite difficult to isolate the effect of individual factors over a short period.

My consumption has just changed by a significant amount since the last fill, without changing anything on the car, without changing my driving habits or my destination patterns.

Why? I can only think that it is the weather.

P.S. should have said the change was from 47.3 m.p.g. to 54.1 m.p.g i.e. about 14.4%

Yep, mine's shot up again this week, with a few longer journey's (30 miles) plus the warmer weather: one return trip from Southampton to Bournemouth saw an average of 71.2mpg and I wasn't trying hard either! Even corrected that's still going to be pretty impressive! Bit better than my V8 Lexus which was rarely above 18mpg..!! Gulp!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links