Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Failed For Repair, Please Help And Tell Me Is It Fair?

jason_chinasz

My car done mot today and was failed for three parts.

001 FRONT HEADLAMP AIM TOO LOW

002 FRONT WINDSCREEN wiper BLADE INSECURE.

003 NEARSIDE(FRONT TO REAR) BRAKE PIPE EXCESSIVELY CORRODED

garage told me that i can buy a new wipers to fix 002, then they just need to fix 001+003 which will cost me the repair price is 125 pound for 2 hours including copping brake pine part. but other garages tell me that 001+002 only cost about 70 pound, why the first mot place quotation is so hihger than others? although mot garage told me i can fix these problem and then sent for free retest, but i am consideridng will it be failed again if so... really a bullet in me. OMG .please give me any advices. THANKS.

• Like 1

Surprised the tester didn just adjust your headlamps as some do. Wipers is sinple to fix. And the brake pipe. Id say up to two hourse depending on how adept the mechanic is. Of course the labour charge depends on how much the garage charges by the hour.

• Like 1

headlamp angles are usually a grub screw towards the back of the light unit from the top (open bonnet) and youd need some sort of wall gague or propper headlamp viewier thing. all of a few minutes providing nothings broken.

the brake line itself is where the real work comes in. imagine they'd replace the coroded section and they would then have to re'bleed the brakes. if somewhere else is offering to repair it cheaper, then go for it. jsut make sure its back for the re-test within hte allowed time period. personally id let the mot garage do it then just pay them and walk out knowing theres nothing more to worry about.

• Like 1

The head light aim can be adjusted by the mot-tester as they have the beam tool there when they test it. It's not a long job, and will prob take about 1 min.

The wiper blade being insecure could just mean its not clipped into the arm correctly or the rubber is split. Again a quality wiper blade is only going to cost you about £8, and will take about 45 seconds to change.

The brake pipe is a little different, copper brake line isn't that cheap, and it can take a little bit of time to shape to fit.. 2 hours does seem a long time but it depends on what the "book" time is?

To be honest some of the cars that come into where I work cost ££££'s to have new mot's... so I think £70-£125 is good :-)

• Like 1

The head light aim can be adjusted by the mot-tester as they have the beam tool there when they test it. It's not a long job, and will prob take about 1 min.

The wiper blade being insecure could just mean its not clipped into the arm correctly or the rubber is split. Again a quality wiper blade is only going to cost you about £8, and will take about 45 seconds to change.

The brake pipe is a little different, copper brake line isn't that cheap, and it can take a little bit of time to shape to fit.. 2 hours does seem a long time but it depends on what the "book" time is?

To be honest some of the cars that come into where I work cost ££££'s to have new mot's... so I think £70-£125 is good :-)

Thanks for you guys helpful advices. and as you said the mot garage has the beam tool there when they test it. and they showed me that my light aim was a little bit low than the red line in the beam tool, even i have ability to adjust it, but i do not have that mot light machine. so it have to be done by garage.

copper brake line. yes. mot garage told me if my car is fixed by them and they will use copper brake line then it won't get rusted again so it could be a life time and never need to change again, does it correct? another question is that for other two garages as 70 pounds quotation, will they also using copper brake line to replace it ? or normally the garage just use more cheaper pipe which is a normal black pipe? please tell me because i forget to asked those two 70pound garage. it must be consider into where i should go for repair.

thanks you very much

• Like 1

could anyone tell me what does this means??? "2 hours does seem a long time but it depends on what the "book" time is?"

• Like 1

could anyone tell me what does this means??? "2 hours does seem a long time but it depends on what the "book" time is?"

The book time is the amount of time that the manufacturer says the relevant job should take. It is what rhe garage base their quotes on. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry I should of explained that better, every workshop garage should have a book with a list of job times in it. Garages are allowed to charge up to the time taken in the book.

• Like 1

002 FRONT WINDSCREEN WIPER BLADE INSECURE.

garage told me that i can buy a new wipers to fix 002, then they just need to fix 001+003 which will cost me the repair price is 125 pound for 2 hours including copping brake pine part. but other garages tell me that 001+002 only cost about 70 pound, why the first mot place quotation is so hihger than others? although mot garage told me i can fix these problem and then sent for free retest, but i am consideridng will it be failed again if so... really a bullet in me. OMG .please give me any advices. THANKS.

thee garage you had your mot i assume was not a toyoya dealer.

i dont know if they still do it these days, but main dealers used to stock brake pipes already to fit.

shorter one would already bent to shape for fitting,but longer ones would be also have the ends flared but would have to be bent to shape and come rolled up.

a independent dealer would have lenghs of brake pipe in and would have to cut to lengh then would have to flare the ends to suit to were the pipe was being fitted,single/doublle flare.saying all that 2 hours for even a pipe running the lengh of a car seems a bit much.

i got the impression they are milking you for what they can get.

as for rust proof pipes well your only replacing one,the others may or may not rust.depends how long your keeping the car.idealy all the could be replaced with rust proof pipes.

i would not be suprised if they only fit a standerd type and would you know the differece.

the other jobs should only take a short time to fix.

• Like 1

002 FRONT WINDSCREEN WIPER BLADE INSECURE.

thee garage you had your mot i assume was not a toyoya dealer.

i dont know if they still do it these days, but main dealers used to stock brake pipes already to fit.

shorter one would already bent to shape for fitting,but longer ones would be also have the ends flared but would have to be bent to shape and come rolled up.

a independent dealer would have lenghs of brake pipe in and would have to cut to lengh then would have to flare the ends to suit to were the pipe was being fitted,single/doublle flare.saying all that 2 hours for even a pipe running the lengh of a car seems a bit much.

i got the impression they are milking you for what they can get.

as for rust proof pipes well your only replacing one,the others may or may not rust.depends how long your keeping the car.idealy all the could be replaced with rust proof pipes.

i would not be suprised if they only fit a standerd type and would you know the differece.

the other jobs should only take a short time to fix.

thanks I am going to buy wiper in shop shortly. and i came back to mot garage and negotiated that it might too expensive for me, then the boss said it might need to take lot of thing on the bottom of car before fix the pipe and she said it might can minimize the time to be 1.5 hours labour cost and she is not sure as well. as most people adviced that the best way to do is fix in the mot garage, get the mot and walk away. please tell me how and what should i said to them for mentioned that the boss already told they it might take 1.5 hours and short the cost when i booking the appointment in mot garage? is it also good to tell them i will be there and watching them fixing the car???? many thanks.

Sorry I should of explained that better, every workshop garage should have a book with a list of job times in it. Garages are allowed to charge up to the time taken in the book.

thanks I am going to buy wiper in shop shortly. and i came back to mot garage and negotiated that it might too expensive for me, then the boss said it might need to take lot of thing on the bottom of car before fix the pipe and she said it might can minimize the time to be 1.5 hours labour cost and she is not sure as well. as most people adviced that the best way to do is fix those mot problems in the mot garage, get the mot and walk away. please tell me how and what should i said to them for mentioned that the boss already told they it might take 1.5 hours and short the cost when i booking the appointment in mot garage? is it also good to tell them i will be there and watching them fixing the car???? many thanks.

• Like 1

thanks I am going to buy wiper in shop shortly. and i came back to mot garage and negotiated that it might too expensive for me, then the boss said it might need to take lot of thing on the bottom of car before fix the pipe and she said it might can minimize the time to be 1.5 hours labour cost and she is not sure as well. as most people adviced that the best way to do is fix those mot problems in the mot garage, get the mot and walk away. please tell me how and what should i said to them for mentioned that the boss already told they it might take 1.5 hours and short the cost when i booking the appointment in mot garage? is it also good to tell them i will be there and watching them fixing the car???? many thanks.

i beleave if a vehicle fails a test for minor items,it can be taken away for repair then returned to the garage by the end of the following day and be retested free.

but if its taken away for major repairs as yours is,then you have 10 days to do these repairs and return the it to the garage for retest then the fee is half the normal fee.

what i am saying you could get the repairs done else where.then have the first garage do the retest.

where is the car now is it still with the testing garage.are they going to charge for a full retest when finished the repairs.its up to you to work out your cheapest options.

when your watching them fixing your car, do know enough about motor repairs to understand what they are doing or not doing.i think its best to bite the bullet and get them to fix your car.its a job to find garage you can trust.you can only find one thats reccomended by others.

• Like 1

i beleave if a vehicle fails a test for minor items,it can be taken away for repair then returned to the garage by the end of the following day and be retested free.

but if its taken away for major repairs as yours is,then you have 10 days to do these repairs and return the it to the garage for retest then the fee is half the normal fee.

what i am saying you could get the repairs done else where.then have the first garage do the retest.

where is the car now is it still with the testing garage.are they going to charge for a full retest when finished the repairs.its up to you to work out your cheapest options.

when your watching them fixing your car, do know enough about motor repairs to understand what they are doing or not doing.i think its best to bite the bullet and get them to fix your car.its a job to find garage you can trust.you can only find one thats reccomended by others.

now the car was drive out the mot garage and with me now. they said it is free retest in 10 days even it had been fixed in other garage but i just consider will it fail again due to it have not been done by themselves.

Please teach me how and what should i say to them when i making a appointment to mot garage, because i just want to see whethere they can finish in 1.5hour as the boss said it might be 1.5 hours for saving my money, but do not want them ***** me off. what should i say ????

Free Retest Items

If the failed vehicle is taken away but then brought back to the same test station and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only then no fee is charged for a retest:

Bonnet Horn Sharp Edges Bootlid Lamps Steering Wheel Brake Pedal Antislip Loading Door Tailboard Direction Indicators Mirrors Tailgate Doors Rear Reflectors VIN Dropsides Registration Plates Windscreen and Glass Fuel Filler Cap Seat Belts Wipers and Washers Hazard Warning Seats Wheels and Tyres

If Your Vehicle Fails Due to Other Items

If the vehicle is left at the MOT testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee is charged.

If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged. In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged. Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination.

The use of steel pipes is virtually non existant these days, 99% of replacement pipes will be made from copper or a pipe called Kunifer which is a soft alloy. Steel pipes are a pain to bend, alloy / copper pipes are easy to shape into place

Kingo :thumbsup:

now the car was drive out the mot garage and with me now. they said it is free retest in 10 days even it had been fixed in other garage but i just consider will it fail again due to it have not been done by themselves.

Please teach me how and what should i say to them when i making a appointment to mot garage, because i just want to see whethere they can finish in 1.5hour as the boss said it might be 1.5 hours for saving my money, but do not want them ***** me off. what should i say ????

tell them they can do the job at price for 1.5 hours,if not you will get it done elsewhere.if they find other faults

then complain and tell them that you will dispute their testing,which you can do.there should be a poster displayed at every mot station showing all information about the mot.it will also inform you how can dispute exam results.

when you go to them next ask where this poster is displayed and make sure they see you studying it.

• Like 1

You can get your wiper blade from asda fiver, :thumbsup:

yes. i try to buy the wiper, but i do not know the right size for corolla 1.6t2 vvti, now the front windowns wiper blade are both 20 inch, but the website said the specific is 22inch for driver side and 18side for passgaer side. so confuced and do not know what size i should have, pls help

this seems so harsh most mot garages will just adjust the headlight just so you dont get a fail and you go back, and they would have just clipped the wiper back in if it was loose, yes if it did not clear the screen properly it would need a new wiper and the brake pipe is a hard call because to fail it needs to be leaking or excessively corroded ( i think the book says something like less than 0.3mm thick!) and every garage ive worked in has made brake pipes from copper its a real easy job just bend it into shape, do the ends with a flaring tool and bleed the brakes about an hours work at the most

• Like 1

this seems so harsh most mot garages will just adjust the headlight just so you dont get a fail and go back and they would have just clips the wiper back in it it was loose, yes if it the did not clear the screen properly it would need a new wiper and the brake pipe is a hard call because to fail it needs to be leaking or excessively corroded ( i think the book says something like less than 0.3mm thick!) and every garage ive worked in has made brake pipes from copper its a real easy job just bend it into shape, do the ends with a flaring tool and bleed the brakes about an hours work at the most

IF THEY QUO ME ONLY 1 HOUR COST THEN I WILL PAY IT AND FIX IT DIRECTLY. BUT IT GOING TO COST ME 125POUND, OMG

tell them they can do the job at price for 1.5 hours,if not you will get it done elsewhere.if they find other faults

then complain and tell them that you will dispute their testing,which you can do.there should be a poster displayed at every mot station showing all information about the mot.it will also inform you how can dispute exam results.

when you go to them next ask where this poster is displayed and make sure they see you studying it.

THANKS. I WILL RING THEM AS WHAT YOU ADVICED ME , JUST ENSURE WHETHER THEY WILL ONLY CHARGE ME 1.5 HOURS COST. THANKS AGAIN

• Like 1

this seems so harsh most mot garages will just adjust the headlight just so you dont get a fail and you go back, and they would have just clipped the wiper back in if it was loose, yes if it did not clear the screen properly it would need a new wiper and the brake pipe is a hard call because to fail it needs to be leaking or excessively corroded ( i think the book says something like less than 0.3mm thick!) and every garage ive worked in has made brake pipes from copper its a real easy job just bend it into shape, do the ends with a flaring tool and bleed the brakes about an hours work at the most

i rang them and the boss was available and nobody ring me back. so i rang them again and the staff asked me for booking and she said they are not sure that they can finish in 1.5 hours but 2 hours cost will be the max. and i mentioned i came there garage due to my friend recommend me to do it there. she laughed. and booking time will be one week to go. i have no idea at tall. if i take repair in 70pound garage, the mot retest might cost me another half price of 50pound. very big bullet in mine mind!!!

i rang them and the boss was available and nobody ring me back. so i rang them again and the staff asked me for booking and she said they are not sure that they can finish in 1.5 hours but 2 hours cost will be the max. and i mentioned i came there garage due to my friend recommend me to do it there. she laughed. and booking time will be one week to go. i have no idea at tall. if i take repair in 70pound garage, the mot retest might cost me another half price of 50pound. very big bullet in mine mind!!!

• Like 1

cheapest way have a go yourself with a haynes manual if the jobs a correct it can't be failed,most motor factors make brake pipes to order if you take the old one for them to copy.

• Like 1

cheapest way have a go yourself with a haynes manual if the jobs a correct it can't be failed,most motor factors make brake pipes to order if you take the old one for them to copy.

as far as people told me here. brake pipe is a easy job that can be done in 1 hours at most. i am thinking should i go for 70pound garage for fix but i also thing the retest will cost half price of total mot, so difficult to decide how can i go , ****.