Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Lamps Fitted To My Daughters Iq2

onboardvision

After seeing that somebody else had taken steps to improve the lighting performance of their IQ, I though that i would take the plunge. With the treat of my wife saying we will have to change the IQ because of the poor light ringing in my ears, and my daughter (the regular driver) near apoplectic with the idea of ever parting company with her "boo" it was a simple choice.

the other member (sorry cant find the thread) recomended which kit to use. I ordered it from eBay and it arrived in 48 hours. Good service from HIDs Direct

the job took me in total about 2-3 hours, but that was with no pressure and doing the exploratory work.

I have posted some picture below with a description of the work. n a scale of 1-5, I would say its a 2-3, not no real issues.

1. remove the front bumper. - remove the black clips under the bonnet landing area.

2. remove the screws from the bottom side of the front bumper.

3. remove the plastic fastener from the edge of the front wheel arch (its the only one there), give it a 90 deg turn and pull it out

4. ease the bumper skin at the wheel arch to unlatch it from the wheel arch edge just done from the join between wing and bumper (do both sides)

5. allow the bumper to drop slightly and access the fog light bulbs and give them a 1/2 twist to remove them and let them hang. (go put the bumper somewhere safe)

6. remove the right and left head lamp units, disconnect the side lamp, turn signal, headlight connector and the headlight levelling motor connection.

7. undo the access cover to the bulbs and remove (twist and follow arrows for removal

8. use a 20mm hole saw and cut a hole in the flat area at the rear of the head light unit, (take care not to blast through the casing and avoid damage and debris falling in to the headlight. clean up the edges of the hole you have cut.

9. remove the original lamp and install the new one in to the holder. its a bit fiddly, but it will go in

10. leave the original lamp connector inside the headlight unit.

11. pull the wiring harness through the hole from the inside to outside, but be careful. i damaged one of my grommets because i was over zealous in my actions.

12. connect the lamp wiring as per their instruction (this bit is idiot proof)

13. fit the ballast units to the provided brackets, and bend accordingly (see pictures for where i mounted these units)

14. do same to the other side.

15. replace head lamp units

16. check function of the lamps.

17. replace from bumper in reverse of removal.

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4008.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4009.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4010.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_40011JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4012.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4013.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4014.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4016.JPG

http://onboardvision.co.uk/Photos/IMG_4017.JPG

I am also happy to report that these lights improve greatly the lighting of the IQ.

Dario

Thank you for taking the time to share you work with us.

Can I ask if there is a vast improvement with the lights on dip and main beam?

Thanks

I fit a HID kit to my IQ3 a while back and what a difference.

I didn't go to the trouble thou of removing the bumper and lights it can all be done without going to that extreme.

Thank you for taking the time to share you work with us.

Can I ask if there is a vast improvement with the lights on dip and main beam?

Thanks

I would say that the improvement in the distance that the light extends up the road is unaffected, but the side to side light is much better. light intensity and the areas in front of the car that had dark spots are greatly improved. for the £56.00 well worth the few hours and cost in my opinion. for information, i think the low beam spread improvement is better then high beam as i don't really think that was the main beam was that bad.

Dario

I fit a HID kit to my IQ3 a while back and what a difference.

I didn't go to the trouble thou of removing the bumper and lights it can all be done without going to that extreme.

I hear what you're saying about front end removal, but it was so simple to do that i felt it worth while. it added about 1 hour to the task i hand, but allowed for accuracy for fitting.

anybody attempting this job, i would suggest do the same. in that way they can see what they are doing and access the rear of the headlight unit as there is space for the grommet to be positioned.

Dario

Hi everyone,

Dario, thank you for your walk through on fitting hid lights to the iq. Hopefully one day I will get around to doing it myself.

A question to anyone with hid lights, as hid lights take longer to heat up, how do you find giving someone a warning flash on your lights or a flash to let someone pull out. As my other car has hid and halogen, the halogen being used for main beam and 'flashing' whilst the hid's are the normal driving lights.

Any info regarding the above would be great.

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

Dario, thank you for your walk through on fitting hid lights to the iq. Hopefully one day I will get around to doing it myself.

A question to anyone with hid lights, as hid lights take longer to heat up, how do you find giving someone a warning flash on your lights or a flash to let someone pull out. As my other car has hid and halogen, the halogen being used for main beam and 'flashing' whilst the hid's are the normal driving lights.

Any info regarding the above would be great.

Cheers.

Right, just sent the wife up to the car whilst i sat in the lounge and looked on. flash works fine. it could not be confused for anything else. bright and clear flashes!

hope this helps.

have to start a fitting clinic at my home. You know the sort of thing, free tea/coffee, free wifi etc. LOL

Dario

Great thread that I might make use of one day, because the iQ headlights really are awful. It's like the lenses are covered in mud.

Yes, great thread :meet:

Rise up to the shining, and don't be blind by the fools again (Black Sabbath)

Nobody is complaining the front-light of the iQ in Germany! Has the RHD-version other light-units?

The interior light is a disaster. :crybaby:

Great post, thanks Dario... one question:

Did you have to trim one of the tabs on the base of the 9006 fitment?

Thanks.

Strangely, no i didn't. i had read up about 9012 vs 9006 lamps and was prepared to do it. However with a small amount of manoeuvring it was simple to slot the lamp in un-trimmed and hey presto job was a good un!

Dario

il post a pic of my 5000k philips diamond vision soon, which cost only 30 quid and you can compare cuz i wanted some hid's too...just seems a bit faff on!

Just som point that i noticed... one of the ballast is closed to the hole to fullfil the "cleaning product for windscreen". it is a mess to target it an d i often wet everything around this hole. just be careful not to wet the ballast... :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, do you leave the lights on automatic, or do you switch them on or off when its dark. I'm planning on fitting some HIDs to my own car, and was wondering if having the lights on when the car is started(automatic) would shorten their life span.

Thanks

Just a quick question, do you leave the lights on automatic, or do you switch them on or off when its dark. I'm planning on fitting some HIDs to my own car, and was wondering if having the lights on when the car is started(automatic) would shorten their life span.

Thanks

By all accounts these lamps have a much longer life span that a normal Halogen lamp. besides, they have a 2 year guarantee!!

Dario

Thanks for the input.

I have now upgraded too!

hids4u.co.uk - Slim 35w kit (9006) 5000k. Search online for a voucher coder (I got one providing a 25% discount) (c.£80).

Results are awesome... and for those who get fidgety about blinding people... they don't - the part projector housing works a treat and prevents any kind of dazzle. The throw and spread of light is great. Light colour is as close to regular factory HID a you will get - not a cheap blue at all... pure white.

Took 2 hours to fit. For those that have or are thinking of doing it... you don't need to remove any bodywork or headlights. The extra cable will pass through the headlight 'twist-off' access panel - where you can drill your hole for the gromit (this is the only bit 'DIY' type business, but since you can take it off you can ensure you get a good result (drilled mine on the flat 'kidney shape' part - if you look at the cover you'll see what I mean)). It also means that if you sell or hand-over vehicle - you can remove the kit and replace the twist off covers from toyota for a few quid.

O & O

One thing I have found with my hids are that occasionally when the car uses its stop start function when it starts up occasionally one light wont come on. if you turn the headlights off then back on alls fine.

So I have used a relay that when the auto headlights are on it switches off my start/stop feature and when there off the stop/start works again.

Can anyone give a definate answer if the lights as fitted as a modification in the OP,

are UK legal according to 'Use & construction' & the RTA without having 'headlight cleaning' fitted,

Has anyone here actually had a vehicle in for a UK MOT with this conversion fitted?

I personnaly can not be bothered with these drivers (just think plonker)

& get very annoyed with all the badly set

& maintained modern lighting conversions fitted to vehicles.

(it at least gives you advnced warning that they arnt the brightest even tho they have bright lights)

The vehicle owners should sometimes consider going out for a test drive where they can drive & meet their own vehicle coming towards theirself with another driver in it,

not only when in a car, but on a pushbike or motorbike.

They should also check the correct function of the lights before every journey that they do.

Its unbelievable how many faulty HID lit vehicles i see every day,

some on brand new vehicles that have them fitted as standard equipment.

(even on police vehicles!)

IME Driving back roads with dips & humps can be dangerous when meeting these vehicles with badly fitted & functioning HID's that cant keep up with the dips & hollows & dont self level quick enough.

Very inconsiderate & down right dangerous IMHO.

Driving south towards Aberdeen in the evening rush hour is unbelievable, every other vehicle apears to have non correctly working HID's

george

I dont have them, but I think your gonna get blinded by the majority of lights even standard halogens by all the dips, Ive driven near that road in Dundee and if im honest its not pleasant. But also the majority of lights fitted by users will have nothing on a lot of audi and range rover standard beams as they are extremely bright.

I didnt mean it as a comment on the roads,

They have been much the same for the 35 & a bit years i have driven them, (funnily the speed limits are the same & standard car lights have improved over the decades)

just the commuters vehicles going on the roads towards Banff or Peterhead area from Aberdeen does seem to be newer cars that have a higher than you would normally expect to see faulty HID headlights

& these are supposed to be on dipped beam..

What i cant understand,

but then maybe its only me in the whole nation that notices.

Dipped light should reduce the lighting & direct it to the road side away from oncoming drivers eyes.

Standard fitment on new vehicles can be annoying enough,

but these badly installed & illegal aftermarket sets just wobble about blinding oncoming drivers in lots of cases, even when dipped.

Drivers can light up the road as much as they like on full beam when nobody is there to be blinded.

Makes me wonder how much lighting up is required on single carriageway roads in the UK with max speed limits of 60mph.

& dual & motorway with 70mph max.

I wonder if sometimes the drivers need an eye test or at least to clean their windows & headlight more often.

I used to drive Land Rovers so am used to having rubbish headlights, but was sitting up high,which meant it wasnt such a problem

from badly set lighting on others vehicles.

Driving my Picanto is like when i drove Mini's & other low cars,

you get blinded often.

I like the iQ for the high enough sitting position & have yet to be blinded by anouther iQ with HID's fitted.

Probably will be quite soon tho.

george

The rules pertaining to fitting after-market HID lighting is quite clear. From November of 2011 such fitments will result in an MOT failure. The essence of such testing relates to the link shown below.

Expect a directive form VOSA to MOT testing stations shortly.:)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to fit my HIDs at the weekend, visibility is great now.

Here are some pictures, though they look a bit bluer on the picture.

5482627846_f6c4037abf.jpg

5482629208_717da14f0a.jpg

Thanks

Oh boy - all HID converts - change back before MOT or you will get the dreaded fail. Also hope 'plod' is not bright (no pun intended) because if you're stopped there could be a ticket coming your way. All sellers of HID conversions, if they are not the approved ones it is illegal to sell as well as use them!!

Just a brief run down of what the above link says.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links