Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Falled Nct On 75 % Inbalace Of Parking Brake

marco polo

justed failed nct or mot across the pond, my parking brake was 75% inbalaced , the tester said it could be something stuck and said that the shoes might not need to be replaced,there is a disc on the rear and shoes as well which operate handbrake, they are in the wheel hub, i have relaced pads before , but never done shoes or adjusted them in the hub, i adjusted handbrake cable at handbrake end to 7 clicks prior to nct test, any body have any ideas on whats causing the inbalace , tester said it could also be the cold weather recently that we had causing things to stick on one side its a 2008 d4d avensis with 195,000 kilometers on clock any ideas would be much appreciated.

Good Grief, mate....were you ever an explorer....? That's some distance your vessel has travelled !!!!!

Hopefully a more sensible answer winging its way shortly. I am almost sure you could find a good pictorial guide on Rav 4 forum for the handbrake shoe replacement. Similar systems one would think....?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

justed failed nct or mot across the pond, my parking brake was 75% inbalaced , the tester said it could be something stuck and said that the shoes might not need to be replaced,there is a disc on the rear and shoes as well which operate handbrake, they are in the wheel hub, i have relaced pads before , but never done shoes or adjusted them in the hub, i adjusted handbrake cable at handbrake end to 7 clicks prior to nct test, any body have any ideas on whats causing the inbalace , tester said it could also be the cold weather recently that we had causing things to stick on one side its a 2008 d4d avensis with 195,000 kilometers on clock any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi mate I think there will be something seized or worn in the hub/handbrake assembly and at that mileage an overhaul of the handbrake parts with new shoes would be a good idea, normally it's best to get the brakes adjusted correctly at the rear end then adjust the cable, so before you start work back the cable adjuster right off first. I have attached a .pdf file of the complete braking system that should tell you all you need to know. :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

AVENSIS BRAKES.pdf

Hi mate I think there will be something seized or worn in the hub/handbrake assembly and at that mileage an overhaul of the handbrake parts with new shoes would be a good idea, normally it's best to get the brakes adjusted correctly at the rear end then adjust the cable, so before you start work back the cable adjuster right off first. I have attached a .pdf file of the complete braking system that should tell you all you need to know. :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

.....or you might find a very mature mechanic on the Avensis forum who know how to attachify downloads....

Big Kev :crybaby:

Hiya, I'm in the process of changing pads and discs all round on my Avensis T-180 (2007)Did the front ones which were easy to do. But the back ones were alot harder as when I adjusted the parking brake inner shoes and pulled the disc off (having to use 2 M8 bolts as they wouldn't move, made some awful cracking noise!) the brake lining came off in my hands!

So got a new set from Euro car parts for £13. But the problem I had was the hold down springs that keep the shoes away from the hub. The spring had given up the ghost! So I tried everywhere to get a bloo*y spring, but you can only buy a full spring and pin set from Toyota at a cost of £44. Really Pi**ed off because all I wanted was a 10p spring. :censor:

Rant over! :!Removed!:

It might just be an idea to change the parking brake shoes for what it costs. It maybe that one side was badly adjusted and was catching the inner hub when the parking brake was off.

To Marco Polo.

Handbrake cables can stick. When you return for NCT, make a little note on your fail sheet, that you would like the handbrake tested on single wheel mode. Tester will know what this is.

Regards, Beagh.

thanks lads for all the replys , i have till 19 feb for a retest , so i will get to work on them over the weekend , i am a taxi driver who drives from laois to dublin 4 days a week, which is 80 kilometers each way , i work in dublin , thats how the milege has clocked up, i will let you guys know how i get on many thanks

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links