Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Head Unit Install Gone Wrong!

koe_182

Looking for help here.

Just tried to install a kenwood head unit, all went well and installed (although there were no bolts, seems person before me must have removed these) anyway, now the interior courtesy lights dont seem to work, the clock wont save the time, and also the remote lock doesnt seem to work. weird i thought, so i then reinstalled the standard headunit which now doesnt turn on at all.

what have i done? could this just be fuses blown?

was my wiring incorrect?

ive abandoned for the evening and thought id seek help.

HELP HELP HELP

lol. that does indeed sound like a headunit install gone wrong. ill take a look at the wiring diagram.....dont beleive others have hav this problem before though.

did you remove the Battery terminal at all?

nothings jumping off the page at me.... :/

you might well be needing a thorough fuse inspection. theres what they call an 'instrument panel' behind the glove box/centre console that houses most of hte relays/fuses for av/interior electricals.

*****. Struggling without my interior light ha. Will have to wait till tomorrow. Thanks so far tho. Which fuses will I be looking at for interior lights, click Battery and remote locking?

interior light, clock and radio are all on the same fuse, so my guess is that is blown. From memory that fuse is either in the engine bay or behind the cubby hole on the side of the steering wheel.

lol if it was me, id be putting my money on that man for being right.

if i had my car id be out looking now cause this diagrams got me well confused. says for the rhd zz123 the integration relay and instrument panel is near the glovebox. im so glad i dont do electrical! haha

Where is the fuse box in the cabin? The little drawer on tr right of the steering wheel comes off but doesn't look like fuses, there is some wiring and a couple of Toyota branded blocks. I'm used to seeing the clear coloured plastic fuses. Should I be looking somewhere else or do I wanna go in the fuses under the bonnet?

Also while I'm at it, what size screws should be holding the stereo in? The guide said 10mm but what thread?

Thanks

Fusebox is behind the glovebox on passenger side.

The bolts holding in the H/U trim, yes it is 10mm head, i used my socket set to take it out.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Managed to find the blown fuse under the bonnet and all seems fine now. Gonna try install the new head unit again tonight.

These bolts, j understand they are 10mm hex but what length are they? I'll pick some up. Anyone any idea?

They are not a normal bolt more of a screw, they are called acme bolts or grub screws.

Not sure who will sell them tho.

Hope this helps

Thanks I'm not finding much on them ha. This could be awkward. Someone on another forum said to check whoever did it hadn't dropped the screws. But I can't see where they could have gone.

Boo

you could use standard bolts, they are 10mm across the flats which is M6 or m5, just get flanged ones and cut them down if they are too long.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M6-x-20-Stainless-Hex-Flange-Bolts-x10-free-P-P-/370293639907?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item5637388ae3

excellent, i wasnt going doolally looking at the diagrams then! the block on the right behind the cubby hole.......i wouldnt go messing with them, unless you wanna mess up the TVSS.

I'll pick up some M6 bolts then, not sure how i'd cut them down so i'll see if i can get some around 15mm/20mm i recon thats what they must be.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to pick up some M6 x 12mm flared bolts which should hopefully do the trick this weekend, got a bag full so if anyone needs any just give me a shout and i'll post on.

anyway, to avoid problems this time, i know i have the correct wiring harness for the car, should this mean i dont need to change any of the wiring on the H/U's existing harness? or do i need to check the labels on the toyota harness matches the cables on the H/U harness?

i know i have the correct wiring harness for the car, should this mean i dont need to change any of the wiring on the H/U's existing harness? or do i need to check the labels on the toyota harness matches the cables on the H/U harness?

If you got an Toyota-to-ISO wiring loom, then it will work ok without having to change anything. Its only because the connector block that Toyota use, is there own style, where as, ISO connector block is a standard fit, as you will it in the back of any after-market H/U for the past 20years.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Ok new head unit all fitted and secured with my new bolts. Only problem now is that the head unit doesn't remember any settings, stations etc when turn engine off. Someone suggested the constant and ignition wires may need swapping? Does this sound right? If so should o swap on Toyota harness or the hu harness? Or is there something else it could be? Thanks

Ok new head unit all fitted and secured with my new bolts. Only problem now is that the head unit doesn't remember any settings, stations etc when turn engine off. Someone suggested the constant and ignition wires may need swapping? Does this sound right? If so should o swap on Toyota harness or the hu harness? Or is there something else it could be? Thanks

ye thats annoying when it happens,yes you need the constant and ignition switching,try it on h/u side first

guess :eek: ? thats never a good idea when it comes to messing with wires in a car ,u need to be absouloutley sure otherise it could end in tears

get a 2quid multimeter from werever probe the end ,if u get near as dam it 12v then you have your power cable

u just have ur live and ingintion live wires the wrong way around thats all easy fix just swap them over :thumbsup: