Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Service

corollat3sport

hi, i want to give my corolla a service as i have had it almost a year now, i was thinking what are the best parts i could buy

such as the spark plugs? NGK, Denso, Bosch...

engine oil? Castrol Edge, Mobil...

oil filter?

want something that will give it more life and make it quicker and more responsive :)

oooo spark plugs......*awaits debate*

oil too! lol....cor blimey your dying to cause a caffuffle! :P

ill start it off...... oil and oil filter from Toyota themselves....about £17 all in. Ive used their oil for years, T-Sport has suffered no ill affects from doing so. Naturally people will have a preference for something else. But I go by the logic, if its good enough for toyota to put in engines they have to warranty, its good enough for me.

Having said that, if you have an aversion to Mr T, somewhere like central auto supplies will easily sort you out. (Mention CAS as your listed as midlands? they tend to be more over the northampton/leicester side of things)

oooo spark plugs......*awaits debate*

oil too! lol....cor blimey your dying to cause a caffuffle! :P

ill start it off...... oil and oil filter from Toyota themselves....about £17 all in. Ive used their oil for years, T-Sport has suffered no ill affects from doing so. Naturally people will have a preference for something else. But I go by the logic, if its good enough for toyota to put in engines they have to warranty, its good enough for me.

Having said that, if you have an aversion to Mr T, somewhere like central auto supplies will easily sort you out. (Mention CAS as your listed as midlands? they tend to be more over the northampton/leicester side of things)

thanks for the quick response ricc

thats cheap for oil and a oil filter so i might give Mr T a go lol

thanks again

Personally i've always used Amsoil in all my bikes and cars, never had an issue with it.

As for spark plugs i doubt there's really much difference between them although Bosch stuff is always top quality. I've had NGK plugs in the past that have been faulty straight from new so i've always used Bosch since then.

If you aren't a complete numpty and carry out routine maintenance then It generally doesn't matter all that much what you use just as long as you keep up a routine service schedule.

oh just as an afterthought - I've always tended to stay away from Castrol GTX/magnatec. I used it in a previous vehicles and it has led to a rather alarming amount of sludge buildup... Exactly what it is advertised to protect against!

I did some research into it and apparently their oils contain a high ash concentration which leads to a large amount of buildup (Presumably the high ash concentration is what makes their oil keep your engine quiter for longer). On that basis i ditched it and moved on to amsoil. Never had an issue with sludge buildup since.

Its all very subjective and varies from person to person but I will give it you straight!

Standard Toyota plugs

5W 30 semi synthetic (decent brand or go to your dealer)

Now everybody will tell you this plug and that oil are far better for whatever bla bla bla reason, but go with what the manufacturer recommends and you wont go far wrong

Kingo :thumbsup:

but Kingo, parts from dealers the stuff manufacturers recommend are so much more expensive for sometimes identical parts? i mean i don't know who makes toyota spark plugs but i would assume it is denso. now i would always use ngk plugs compared to denso, however having said that i'm not saying ngk are better it is just that you may be able to get ngk for £8 each whereas the dealer would charge you £15 for denso, are the denso plugs £7 better? i highly doubt it.

my car is diesel and it has glow plugs so i will use this as 'real world' example. i replaced my glow plugs for £10 each for ngk ones last year. dealer wanted £18 each for 'toyota genuine' which i will assume was denso. sometimes i feel you pay a large premium for the parts coming in a toyota box in a toyota bag rather than in a ngk bag?

having said all that i must say that i do believe the dealer oil filters are much much better than pattern parts.

so if this was my car and i was having it serviced i would get 5w-30 oil from the dealer, dealers oil filter and then i would trundle along to the local independant motor factor and buy from them an air filter and a set of ngk plugs. pay my mechanic £15 to slap it all in and bobs your uncle :D

so in summary i don't believe there is any difference between denso, ngk or Bosch parts in the main. therefore just buy what you can get the cheapest because you will not notice any difference in the way the car behaves or responds using genuine or oe replacement parts. this is assuming that for example if the oe plugs have 4 prongs then the ngk or Bosch ones you buy are identical with 4 prongs too etc etc

The thread was not about price, the OP said

i was thinking what are the best parts i could buy

What I am saying is the GENUINE part or the part recommended by the manufacturer is the correct part for the job, we can all go and buy a cheaper alternative, Toyota are not in the business of supplying cheap parts, they supply the correct part that is fully tested to be the right specification for your car

Before anybody gives me the "Well they are an OEM supplier" OEM is the most overused and misleading phrase in the motor trade. Just because somebody makes parts for Toyota does not mean their own branded part is EXACTLY the same spec, it rarely is. it might fit perfectly well and do a job, what it wont have is the EXCAT spec that the manufacturer ordered

Standard genuine parts are good for your car and will fit, but if you want cheaper there are a million place out there to sell them to you, rarely are they better

Kingo :thumbsup:

Oil, oil filter and cabin filter from toyota,

got 4 denso Iridium ik20's from camskill for £30. Iridium spark pl;ugs only need changing every 60,000 miles, although mine have done 80,000 now which is why im changing them

Did my service last october oil,air filter £22 mr T. oil Mobil 1 esp 5W 30 full syn £20 bargain asda :thumbsup:

right, so many views aha

thanks for all of them though :) really appreciate it lol

ima get some denso plugs, Castrol edge oil and a oil filter from somewhere :D

if something goes wrong il try something new

i heard that denso are good for toyotas and Castrol is really good oil for my car

toyota charge me soo much so i aint going to bother

any more ideas are welcome though

thanks again guys for the quick response :D

lol told ya you were opening a can of worms with oil and plugs! :P

i totally agree with kingo all day long on this!

aha well its too late now, but i have gained knowledge which is a plus :thumbsup:

well they do say if you can learn something new every day, your onto a winner!

gotta agree with you on that one :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links