Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

GT4 Buying Advice

Blondie

Hi,

I am interested in buying a GT-Four ST185, but have had no previous experince with this particular motor. I was hoping that perhaps someone would be able to provide a few links with buying advice ie. what to look out for, or perhaps even post a list of general problem areas and what exactly to look out for with regards to the engine, and during the test drive.

I have noticed that there seem to be a lot more imports for sale at the moment in the AutoTrader in the South West, but also have had no experience in buying/insuring an import. How does the JDM model of this car compare to the UK Spec version, am I right in saying that these are 225BHP? Would there be any insurance issues?

Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Cheers, Paul :)

Funny you should ask these questions Paul as ive just popped in to ask the very same as you as im interested in the very same model.

I can answer one thing though the Jap version is 225bhp like you said.

And i currently own an import Starlet turbo and can find parts etc anong with insurance fine no probs.

With the Celica it will be even better for parts and such as they are more common than the Starlet GT TBO.

Ive got just one extra question:-

What are they like for insurance?Group?

C'mon peeps lets have some info pleeze..

:DThanks!

Hi Guys,

i was in the same position as yourselves about 3 months ago. looking into purchasing a gt4. The cars are generally very tough and reliable. The only things to watch out for, as with any turbocharged car, is for blue smoke under load and after long periods of tickover. The Imported car shares all the same components as its british version and with the mr2 turbo. so spares are not an issue, or at least have not been with me. there are many good websites to guide you. one of the best i have found is

www.k1ano.co.uk

it is worth paying slighly more for the car, as there are quite a few high milage versions about. i payed £4300 for my 1991 gt4 a spec, which has covered 50,000 miles and is a japanese import. The car is very nice to drive, and very responsive, and as you know has all the luxuries, such as climate control, full electrics, and electric 'tuck in' mirrors for parking.

Unfortunatly due to a new job which requires a long commute, iam going to be forced to sell mine soon for a diesel!. which is a shame, because the sar is absolutly immaculate. so if you are interested i can send you a pic of it. either way best of luck car hunting, and i will answer any question you have about the celica gt4 if you e-mail me..

Simon

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links