Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Leak In Water Pump

MarcoRolla

Just had my 60k service done by Toyota and was told my water pump has a small leak. I don't really want to fork out for a new one so am looking to sort it out another way.

Somebody recommended Bars Leaks to me. Has anyone ever used this stuff before?

The only sure fire way is get a new pump fitted. Bars leak will find every nook and cranny in your cooling system, including heater matrix and radiator. If you were talking about getting a few more months out of the car before scrapping it then I'd say give it a go, but it's not about to be scrapped is it?

id say pretty much the same thing. im not so sure the 2zz-ge would appreciate the likes of bars floating around hte cooling system. there on hte performance side of NASP engines so keeping the matrix/chanels/pump/hoses etc as free as possible is always the best action.

you cars done very little in terms of mileage, it would be a shame not to get hte pump itself changed. :) treat her right and she will repay you ten fold!

i would echo the advice given. i think the t-sport engine is chain but on the off chance it has a timing belt then now would be a good time to change that too, timing belt and water pump go hand in hand.

the water pump is driven off the alternator belt, its a bit of a weird setup but is basically the back of the belt that does the driving not the ribbed side.

I had my water pump develop a small weep and then it got worse, in the end I had to change it.

Just a word of warning, Toyota have changed the sealing arrangement on the new style water pumps and as such you will have to cut down the bolts to make them fit! so make sure you've got an angle grinder and a file ready, otherwise you'll be in a whole world of pain.

the water pump is driven off the alternator belt, its a bit of a weird setup but is basically the back of the belt that does the driving not the ribbed side.

I had my water pump develop a small weep and then it got worse, in the end I had to change it.

Just a word of warning, Toyota have changed the sealing arrangement on the new style water pumps and as such you will have to cut down the bolts to make them fit! so make sure you've got an angle grinder and a file ready, otherwise you'll be in a whole world of pain.

Thanks for the heads up mate.