Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super Unleaded

miqe

Has anyone noticed better mpg when using super unleaded petrol. I think my iq2 is getting an extra %10 after changing to super unleaded. About 10p/litre saving! Am I dreaming? Is this a known advantage of using higher octane fuel?

Usually it only affects cars which have knock sensors and can adjust their ignition timing

I always run super unleaded and certainly notice when I have to put a tank of 95 in. It always looks a fight when you see the pump price but the extra mpg makes up for the 7-8p a litre extra.

I always run super unleaded and certainly notice when I have to put a tank of 95 in. It always looks a fight when you see the pump price but the extra mpg makes up for the 7-8p a litre extra.

Hi Monolakes, have you worked out the actual difference.. is it worth it? Are you seeing 10% increase in MPG? If so, it makes sense, as 7-8p per litre is a 5-6% increase.

I'm not one of those that methodically write down all the mpg readings and the driving I have to do varies week on week from Lake District B roads (45mpg) to long motorway runs (60+mpg). But a guesstimate would be about 5mpg difference between 95 and super.

Where do you manage to buy 91 RON unleaded in the UK?

are you sure its not 95 you are putting in?

george

dont use supermarket fuel myself,but are normely 95 also.

just a thought.

Where do you manage to buy 91 RON unleaded in the UK?

Read the location for Barry!

Yea I am living in the 'Sheep world'.

Its the only first world country that rides on 3rd world technology...

Has anyone noticed better mpg when using super unleaded petrol. I think my iq2 is getting an extra %10 after changing to super unleaded. About 10p/litre saving! Am I dreaming? Is this a known advantage of using higher octane fuel?

For the extra mileage you might gain with Super Unleaded, you probably get the same from Unleaded due to the price difference, i.e. £10 will get you slightly more Unleaded in the tank due to it costing less than Super Unleaded. I monitored this years ago and the difference was negligible at best.

I was doing some reading before coming to visit my son in Auckland, and was pleased to see "Sheep World" as a venue to visit :yahoo:

(Not so pleased to see that some of the areas we visted for free when living in NZ, now charge entrance feesfor looking at great natural scenery.

:blowup: (Must be Rotorua !)

Rgds

I was doing some reading before coming to visit my son in Auckland, and was pleased to see "Sheep World" as a venue to visit :yahoo:

(Not so pleased to see that some of the areas we visted for free when living in NZ, now charge entrance feesfor looking at great natural scenery.

:blowup: (Must be Rotorua !)

Rgds

We used to provide manythings for free but not anymore. Its all because our government has gone broke after 1 wrong move - the ACC benefit. Its simply gave everyone free annual leave (Yes, you get almost exactly what you get pay from your company) when they are injured from any kind of accident that a doctor of physio think they are unfit to work. Some could be as minor as back pain. I got a friend who claimed that her back will be painful after sitting still for more than 2 hours with unknown cause and she get paid to live at home :)

Now every kiwi has stacked up at ~$1000GBP bill just for this freaking ACC benifit. The government has upped all tax, car registration, fines etc to cover the lazy ***** who live off ACC...

Sorry for being off topic lol.

Back onto topic !!

If you see an elderly bald gent waving at you in an IQ in the Auckland area in the next few weeks, wave back, it could be me !

By the way some things are still free ! I have just down loaded free Topo maps from NZ Land survey into Memory Map and Open source NZ Highways into my Garmin. Way to go !

Rgds

Since my original post the computer now says 57mpg on super unleaded (47mpg on unleaded)- 20% improvement. I won't be going back to the unleaded.

Since my original post the computer now says 57mpg on super unleaded (47mpg on unleaded)- 20% improvement. I won't be going back to the unleaded.

I am trying a tank of 95 (usually I use 91), will see if there is any improvement in mpg after a few more tanks of 95. I will also test out 98 later. Will keep you guys update on my finding.

Back onto topic !!

If you see an elderly bald gent waving at you in an IQ in the Auckland area in the next few weeks, wave back, it could be me !

By the way some things are still free ! I have just down loaded free Topo maps from NZ Land survey into Memory Map and Open source NZ Highways into my Garmin. Way to go !

Rgds

You will hardly find an IQ here since local Toyota don't sell them lol.

I got some free coupon for Skyjump, indoor ski field etc in Auckland area, I will never use them and they are going to expire in June.

Send me a pm if you want them, I can drop the coupons to your hotel reception for you if your hotel is in city :thumbsup:

Dont forget that in the warmer weather the car is better on fuel anyway, Ive found super is worse in the cold weather (under 5c) and better in the warmer weather (8c+). The price difference on a usual fuel up is £1.40 assuming 5p per litre extra and putting in 28 litres. Thats 6 gallons and say it does 4mpg more(Ive averaged a max of 64mpg on super and 60mpg on normal) then you will get an extra 24miles out of the same fuel....so even just assuming you get 50mpg on normal unleaded then that is costing you £5.85 a gallon, which to do 24 miles costs around £2.90ish, so by paying the £1.40 you are actually saving money on the superunleaded. Only a pound or so but over a month that will buy you another gallon(ish) of fuel or over a tank a year.

I've done testing on a tank of 95 and I wish to share my findings:

MPG with 95: 55.26mpg

My previous 91fuel consumption record - out from 37 tanks of 91fuel from Gull and a total driving distance of 10389.4 miles

Best MPG with 91: 54.18mpg

Average MPG with 91: 45.63mpg

Worst MPG with 91: 36.85mpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is confidence showing that my IQ can ride a longer distance with 95 but I will need more evidence to backup my prediction.

I am going to fill up my next 10 tanks with Shell 95 and will see how it goes. :rolleyes:

Send me a pm if you want them, I can drop the coupons to your hotel reception for you if your hotel is in city :thumbsup:

A couple of apologies !

1) To the Group as this is Off Topic. !

2) To Barry !

I missed your offer until now, I tried a PM to thank you but I am getting an error mesage saying I cannot post. If OK with you I might contact when in NZ,

Rgds

• 4 weeks later...

I have been logging the fuel usage on my new iQ 1.0 multidrive in the last few weeks,

i am doing a high mileage & already clocked up a few thousand miles.

First 1000 miles running in i used

'Shell Fuelsaver95 octane', it was £1.29 a litre then.

No Air Con used yet, solo driving, tyres @ 32 & 35 lb

& pretty sensible driving mixed on single & dual/motorway, no town driving.

Seldom using the brakes,

mostly left in D, but now accelerating up to speed using S when needed &

just decelerating using S or B as required,(enjoying driving manually basically,

using & watching the 'Eco' light as a guide is just a distration & not giving the best economy IME

better just to get up to speed and then use less throttle)

'Traction control

& stability assist' switched off at the start of every journey.

86 litres (19 gallons)used over the 1000 miles was about 55 mpg.

Then another tankfull of more spirited driving gave the same result.

*27 litres (6 gallons)@ £1.30 a litre cost £35 & gave 330 miles of travel.* =55 mpg

Then i have used 2 tanks on 'Tesco Monentum 99 octane' @ £1.35 a litre.

*27 litres (6 gallons) @ £1.35 a litre cost £36.45 & gave 360 miles of travel.= 60 mpg

Now filled up with 'Shell V power 99 octane @ £1.35 a litre

seems to also be doing 60 mpg with a half tank used so far.

Going to try Sainsbury Super unleaded next because its only £1.31 a litre.

Long story shortened,

costing me the same per mile using 95 octane or 99 octane

& the car is running smoothly which ever fuel is used.

Extra miles on the Super 99 octane costs almost the same as using 1 litre more of 95 octane.

I will be interested to see when i go back to regular unleaded with a well run in car,

what i can achieve in MPG.

The oil is beautifully clean & fresh

& no niggles with the car.

george

Ive done my testing!

My IQ2 does 400miles to a tank at least - I bottled out of running it dry when it said 402miles on the milometer last time and it took 35 litres of fuel, so I think me and car knew where we were at.

My expectation now is 350 but I know it will go beyond. For example my fuel bar flashed at bottom today at 320 miles averaging 59.7mpg, so I know based on what I have learnt that I have about 420 miles from the tank, i.e 100 miles left. I will fill at around 375 miles probably.

I must admit, getting to that point for me means doing around 55mph in lane 1 of the M3 for 10 miles every day but when you do that, and give the engine some sympathy, it rewards you. For the first 3/4 of tank I have had an average MPG of 60.0 - which means it is higher, as it can't read higher. I always fill, then sit on motorway and achieve this figure over around 20 miles of hypermiling. Amazing value.

Dizee are you using Super Unleaded now,

or have you tried using it yet?

Do you really think that 55 mph is more sympythetic to the engine?

I woulnt be sitting at 55 mph unless thats the going speed at the time for the road conditions,

& certainly not to save 50 pence or so.

(that if you are saving fuel!, maybe slipstreaming lorries & vans helps)

I find the engine performs more fuel efficient at 65-70 mph than at 55,

but thats with a multidrive, & possible because it keeps momentum up better.

george

I have not used super unleaded at all, just the Shell fuelsave which is generall the cheapest.

55mph - 60mph in lane 1 I find the most ideal and yes I find a MASSIVE difference between doing 55mph and 70mph. At 55mph the instant mpg is always 60mpg yet at 70mph it will drop to around 45/33mpg. By doing that speed in lane 1 for the first 100 miles or so you build up such a good average mpg that even if you start to drive briskly and floor it for the last 150 mlies of the tank, the average is so high that it remains at 60mpg because of all the hard work done initially.

I am seeing well over 400 miles now to each tank which is costing around £40. I can't think of anything that is better value for money as well as being a pleasant drive and pleasant place to be.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links