Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux D4D Limp Home Mode, Engine Warning Light, Help

hiluxit

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice if possible. My 51 reg Hilux D4D went into what I assume was limp mode, the revs bearly picked up then would completely drop away, the Engine light came on, and I was left kangerooing down the round. I got home, tried it half hour later and it was the same. About an hour after that, it had totally cleared and the light was off, driving fine.

The next day, it had the same problem as soon as I started it up, a few minutes down the road, I stopped, turned it off and back on and then it cleared again. Ive driven it a few times since and had been like this every journey, clearing itself after a while.

I have changed the fuel filter, along with other service items. Got a friend to do a fault reading, which showed - Accelerator pedal sensor. I thought I had found the cause, but after finding out that the local main dealer has not sold any and at a price of £280, i'm reluctant to spend out on this. I have spoken to someone else, who described the exact symptoms that I had, and said it's probably the injectors.

Before I book this in to Toyota, does anybody have any suggestions for me? I thought about putting some injectors in myself from a known good engine, not sure if I have to store in new injector codes though?

Would appreciate some help from anybody who thinks they know the fault before I go spending money at the Main dealer!!

Thanks in advance

its my understanding that if an injector fails then it fails, as this is intermittent i would look else where,

either a turbo over boosting due to faulty turbo actuator or ecu or sensor fault

if it where me i would ask how muck the toyota garage would charge to plug it in, may save you time and effort

or in most areas there is usually an independent diagnostic centre, pay them to diagnose and fix yourself :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice if possible. My 51 reg Hilux D4D went into what I assume was limp mode, the revs bearly picked up then would completely drop away, the Engine light came on, and I was left kangerooing down the round. I got home, tried it half hour later and it was the same. About an hour after that, it had totally cleared and the light was off, driving fine.

The next day, it had the same problem as soon as I started it up, a few minutes down the road, I stopped, turned it off and back on and then it cleared again. Ive driven it a few times since and had been like this every journey, clearing itself after a while.

I have changed the fuel filter, along with other service items. Got a friend to do a fault reading, which showed - Accelerator pedal sensor. I thought I had found the cause, but after finding out that the local main dealer has not sold any and at a price of £280, i'm reluctant to spend out on this. I have spoken to someone else, who described the exact symptoms that I had, and said it's probably the injectors.

Before I book this in to Toyota, does anybody have any suggestions for me? I thought about putting some injectors in myself from a known good engine, not sure if I have to store in new injector codes though?

Would appreciate some help from anybody who thinks they know the fault before I go spending money at the Main dealer!!

Thanks in advance

hello mate

the LIMP MODE ic caused by:

- SCV fault;

- Air in the suction line;

- Dirty filter;

- Fuel filter is assembled incorrectly;

- EGR valve;

- injector/s solenoid/s fault;

- injection quality

- MAF sensor

Cheers/Igor

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

I have had a bit of the same problem, but not as bad that it's every day. I have a brother who lives quite far from me. He is a diesel mechanic and he said it's most likely the EGR valve. You can clean them, but they are not overly expensive.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

just out of curiosity is your truck a double cab in burgandy with silver arches.the reason i ask is i sold my old truck which had the exact same fault and it was on a 51 plate.i took it to toyota and many more garages,but no one could seem to fix it,after many a pound i had to sell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links