Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Fuel Consumption.

Ribenaman

have you reset the ECU since the work?

it adapts to your driving style, so reset the ECU then drive like a granny.

sorry for my ignorance but can you please elaborate how to reset the ECU?

thanks

One way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the Negative Battery lead and leave it off for 15 minutes. Then re-connect it. You may have to re-tune your radio channels after doing this.

now i know.

thanks for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks

One way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the Negative Battery lead and leave it off for 15 minutes. Then re-connect it. You may have to re-tune your radio channels after doing this.

now i know.

thanks for your reply.

I have a theory with regard to my poor fuel consumption and lack of power in second gear at low revs. I have noticed that my sump has become porous and is leaking a few drips of oil when hot. Does the vvti rely on oil pressure to operate correctly? If the sump is porous, would the car not be building up oil pressure to operate the vvti? Just a thought. I may be barking up the wrong tree! lol.

thanks

now i know.

thanks for your reply.

I have a theory with regard to my poor fuel consumption and lack of power in second gear at low revs. I have noticed that my sump has become porous and is leaking a few drips of oil when hot. Does the vvti rely on oil pressure to operate correctly? If the sump is porous, would the car not be building up oil pressure to operate the vvti? Just a thought. I may be barking up the wrong tree! lol.

I have managed to squeeze an average of 38 mpg from the wee car whilst driving very frugally. The wee car is 'pinking' on acceleration which leads me to think it is related to the porous sump. i.e. not building up enough oil pressure to activate the vvti. I intend to purchase the sump this week and I will report any difference in performance and/or fuel consumption when I fit (or get it fitted!}.

Will that matter?

If you're driving 'frugally' surely you'll never hit the VVTi 'lift'?! :eek:

I know if I keep my Yaris out of the turbo charging zone it can drive to the moon and back, but that turbo surge is so tempting... it teases me... calling me to push the pedal down that tiny bit more... :unsure::lol:

The sump isn't pressurised, so the oil leak has nothing to do with the fuel consumption or the operation of the vvti mechanism. There are oilways within the engine that carry the oil under pressure. The sump is merely a basin of metal bolted to the bottom of the engine where the oil drains into and from where it is sucked up from by the pump.

Pinking is caused by the fuel inside the cylinder igniting before its meant to.

Either - the inside of the engine is caked in carbon which retains the heat and can cause "pre-ignition" or the ECU is telling the spark plugs to spark and ignite the fuel before they should - or (unlikely in the UK) you're using really low quality fuel and the car can't cope with the lack of "octanes".

First thing I'd do is get a compression guage and check that you're getting good compression on every cylinder and it is approximately equal across all cylinders.

That will confirm that the valves are sealing properly.

Then I'd try one of the engine additives (like redex) that's meant to help clean out the inside of the compression chamber.

Then I'd run a high quality BRANDED fuel for three or four tank fulls (Shell Optimax comes to mind) to clean the injectors and the fuel delivery system.

And then I'd go back to using a branded ordinary fuel to see how it runs after that.

I'm not saying all supermarket fuel is bad, but the branded fuels generally contain many more additives designed ot keep your engine healthy and continued use of cheap supermarket fuel has been known to cause some engines to incur troubles. My brother runs a car tuning company and its the first question he asks if people come in to him with an engine that's playing up - do you use supermarket fuel?

The sump isn't pressurised, so the oil leak has nothing to do with the fuel consumption or the operation of the vvti mechanism. There are oilways within the engine that carry the oil under pressure. The sump is merely a basin of metal bolted to the bottom of the engine where the oil drains into and from where it is sucked up from by the pump.

Pinking is caused by the fuel inside the cylinder igniting before its meant to.

Either - the inside of the engine is caked in carbon which retains the heat and can cause "pre-ignition" or the ECU is telling the spark plugs to spark and ignite the fuel before they should - or (unlikely in the UK) you're using really low quality fuel and the car can't cope with the lack of "octanes".

First thing I'd do is get a compression guage and check that you're getting good compression on every cylinder and it is approximately equal across all cylinders.

That will confirm that the valves are sealing properly.

Then I'd try one of the engine additives (like redex) that's meant to help clean out the inside of the compression chamber.

Then I'd run a high quality BRANDED fuel for three or four tank fulls (Shell Optimax comes to mind) to clean the injectors and the fuel delivery system.

And then I'd go back to using a branded ordinary fuel to see how it runs after that.

I'm not saying all supermarket fuel is bad, but the branded fuels generally contain many more additives designed ot keep your engine healthy and continued use of cheap supermarket fuel has been known to cause some engines to incur troubles. My brother runs a car tuning company and its the first question he asks if people come in to him with an engine that's playing up - do you use supermarket fuel?

Hi alfiejts. Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I have been using genuine Toyota injector cleaner in the tank, however I have just been buying petrol wherever is most convenient. Sometimes I have used Morrison's fuel or regular branded fuel. I didn't think I would have to use premium fuel as I was using the injector cleaner. Your post has given me food for thought though, and I will try Shell Optimax the next time I put in a couple of gallons. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a compression tester and having just bought a sump, a tight budget prevents me from spending any more cash on the car at the moment. I will let you know how the Optimax goes. Cheers, Andy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links