Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oem Or Spurious Filters

MarkR

Agree - I always use original filters.

Original for me. But I am looking at the filters that Opie Oils have atm. They seem to be good quality...

any good brand will do why pay ott prices from a main dealer

the toyota filters are manufactured at the cheapest maker they can find

and mark my words

they regularly change manufactures according to the price these filters cost to make

Its like plasma tv screens and LCD screens there are only 3-4 main manufacturers in the world

who make these screens but how many different tv manufactures can you count

any good brand will do why pay ott prices from a main dealer

the toyota filters are manufactured at the cheapest maker they can find

and mark my words

they regularly change manufactures according to the price these filters cost to make

Its like plasma tv screens and LCD screens there are only 3-4 main manufacturers in the world

who make these screens but how many different tv manufactures can you count

thats very true.

The Toyota filter is good for 40,000 miles or 4 years, so its good value for money considering most makes change them far more often, and what's the cost of a genuine filter?

I once asked a similar question on a biking forum about Halfords brand engine oil. The responses were mixed but I got a lot of recommendations to go with a genuine filter every time. They're pretty cheap over their life anyway - especially compared to the fuel cost over the same mileage! Want to save money? Slow down.

The Toyota filter is good for 40,000 miles or 4 years, so its good value for money considering most makes change them far more often, and what's the cost of a genuine filter?

i know for a fact that a toyota fuel filter was 500% MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE ONE MY 2.2 DIESEL HAS BEEN RUNNING ON FOR THE LAST 12MONTHS

hi dave,your talking about the air filter being good for 40000 miles i think,not the oil filter which is 10000 max.

echo

another echo

hi dave,your talking about the air filter being good for 40000 miles i think,not the oil filter which is 10000 max.

Yes, i was referring to the Air filter as the OP didn't specify what type of filter he/she was looking at.

I assumed it would be an Air filter as its the easiest DIY job you could do under the bonnet.

Even so, i would still use a genuine Toyota filter no matter what part of the engine it was attached too simply so i know the quality has been tested to the standards required for my engine.

A cheaper filter might save me £5 for that 12-24 month period, but if the quality is poor then an engine rebuild will quickly eat up that £5 saving...

Why risk it?

i know for a fact that a toyota fuel filter was 500% MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE ONE MY 2.2 DIESEL HAS BEEN RUNNING ON FOR THE LAST 12MONTHS

Of course it will be a bit dearer, its a company trying to make a profit.

Is it 500% less effective, or are you unable to prove either way?

At the end of the day, we can all use whatever products we want on our cars, but i prefer the peace of mind of knowing that the part was built and tested for my engine. That's personal preference.

Looking at my service invoice from 2 weeks ago, my oil filter cost £7.35 before VAT.

I'm not sure what 500% of that is, but i know its PENNIES, so i don't really see why its worth the effort of using anything else. It would cost more in fuel to drive and collect it, and i expect a first class stamp would make it more expensive than the original.

oil filter always from Toyota.

Now talking,it costs about 10-11e. :crybaby:

I can easily switch to a similar OEM quality, for 4-6e each, and i 'd tried once

when a '76 KE-30 was in my possesion.

Starting the engine, oil pressure light went off after 3 sec. That's bad...

Cam chain, cams need oil pressure + quantity when engine comes to life.

If not, problems arise.

Other filters air/fuel/AC are not so critical, and there are too many choices. :yahoo:

KE was sold, and her stocked oil filters, fed my Aygo. :)

I made the effort to work out 500% of £7.35, and its a meagre 37 pence (and thats rounded up to the nearest penny).

I'm shocked anyone would risk a warranty for the sake of 37p.

I made the effort to work out 500% of £7.35, and its a meagre 37 pence (and thats rounded up to the nearest penny).

I'm shocked anyone would risk a warranty for the sake of 37p.

:eek: 500% of £7.35 is £36.75.

My mistake, £7.35 divided by 500 was 37p

So either someone on here claims to be able to buy them for 37p, or they are saving 37p... either way, i don't see the point over an item thats worth so little.

So either someone on here claims to be able to buy them for 37p, or they are saving 37p... either way, i don't see the point over an item thats worth so little.

I have a rule not to correct people on the internet - but...

No, £7.35 divided by 500 is 1.47 pence.

The Cav was essentially saying that the price he paid for his non Toyota filter was five times less than the price he was quoted for a genuine filter.

Your maths isn't helping! ;)

4yrs 40k um dont rely on that as my prius done 26k not yet 3yr old and mpg went from 49average to 57 changing filter (motorquip)blueprint partsforallcars £10.38including vat+free delivery. this 4yr 40k depends on your area im in the country and when you are stuck behind a lorry kicking up dust, millions of bl**dy insects and wheat fields dont last as long as towns and citys.

The Cav was essentially saying that the price he paid for his non Toyota filter was five times less than the price he was quoted for a genuine filter.

:crybaby: DOH!

Not having a great day on the mathematical front am i... Still, i'd like to know where a filter can be bought for £1.47 and what quality it is.

:crybaby: DOH!

Not having a great day on the mathematical front am i... Still, i'd like to know where a filter can be bought for £1.47 and what quality it is.

the oem fuel and oil filters on the passat i had, were a rip off,as the oil and filter renwal period was every 5000 miles this did not help.

so brought ac delco ones which was part of general motors who made vauxhalls who used these filters.

had no problems at all,sadly the motor factors where i got them no longer exist.nobody local does ac delco stuff now.

if your car is out of warrany and you do your own oil/filter changes there are quality filters out there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links