Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compressor Syncro Problem

Rob1980

I have never seen so many conflicting things on what to do....this IS a problem with forums :rolleyes:

This is what you should do

1. You need to establish is there a fault? You say yes, the dealer says no

2. Get an independant report by one of the motoring organisations, making them aware of the specific fault. YOU will have to pay for the report. OR Pay your local Toyota dealer to do the same thing, either way you will have to pay. You could ask the Nissan dealer to pay this for you, he might, but if not you could sue him later for the cost

3. If it comes back as the gearbox is faulty, then inform your Nissan dealer IN WRITING the results. Give him a time period, say 28 days to put the car right, if he does not, then you would have grounds to reject the car but this is to be avoided if at all possible.

Keep calm, try and work with the dealer, be reasonable, its easy to get all worked up, DONT, if you have an independant report that says the gearbox is faulty then they dont have a lot of choice. Remind them of your costs incurred and that you will want this refunding. Rejecting the car is a stressful hassle you could do without and is not as easy with a used car. Get everything in writing and sent by recorded delivery but do it sooner rather than later, keep any correspondance and make a note of dates and times of phone calls or visits to the dealer. This all needs doing SOONER rather than later

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think that I am going to have to follw this. The garage have just called me back and said it is difenately the Syncro but as its not actually broken then it can not be fixed under warranty! :blink: They have point blank said that it will not be fixed.

I'm am going to have to get prepared for a long battle. :-(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rob1980

• ricc

• mr-p

• farhanali89

some very good advice from kingo there. i'm the sort of person to go down there and knock 7 bells out of the dealer techie lol but in situations like this is best to remain calm and level headed and resolve the problem.

also loving Farhan's oreo analogy with the synchro lol!

I have never seen so many conflicting things on what to do....this IS a problem with forums :rolleyes:

2. Get an independant report by one of the motoring organisations, making them aware of the specific fault. YOU will have to pay for the report. OR Pay your local Toyota dealer to do the same thing, either way you will have to pay. You could ask the Nissan dealer to pay this for you, he might, but if not you could sue him later for the cost

3. If it comes back as the gearbox is faulty, then inform your Nissan dealer IN WRITING the results. Give him a time period, say 28 days to put the car right, if he does not, then you would have grounds to reject the car but this is to be avoided if at all possible.

Keep calm, try and work with the dealer, be reasonable, its easy to get all worked up, DONT, if you have an independant report that says the gearbox is faulty then they dont have a lot of choice. Remind them of your costs incurred and that you will want this refunding. Rejecting the car is a stressful hassle you could do without and is not as easy with a used car. Get everything in writing and sent by recorded delivery but do it sooner rather than later, keep any correspondance and make a note of dates and times of phone calls or visits to the dealer. This all needs doing SOONER rather than later

i totaly agree with what kingo says only issue i have is when mine was doing excatly the same while under warranty and the gearbox was stripped and repaired but the fault reoccured i went back to my dealer and was told just the same and also contacted toyota customer services and again told all that could be done had been done so i don,t really no what chance you have of getting it repaired if toyota wouldn,t do it .

i totaly agree with what kingo says only issue i have is when mine was doing excatly the same while under warranty and the gearbox was stripped and repaired but the fault reoccured i went back to my dealer and was told just the same and also contacted toyota customer services and again told all that could be done had been done so i don,t really no what chance you have of getting it repaired if toyota wouldn,t do it .

Yep he has offered some good advise, Thank you.

What you are saying about Toyota saying that what could be done, had been done, surely if all the Compressors had this fault then a recall should of happened and the problem rectified?? They are not allowed to knowingly leave a car on the market that will need a gearbox rebuild every 10 - 20 thousand miles are they??

Its true...lotus and celica guys use the same box go onto a lotus forum and see how many gearbox rebuilds there are. The common 3rd gear syncro always goes.

3rd gear syncro is the size of an oreo....for a car pushing 190bhp its not going to last

how large would you like it to be? the size of a dinner plate? theres a finite amount of space available on any car, if everything was massively over engineered the cars would weigh a lot more, the car size would be far greater, economy would suffer and the original purchase costs greater.

seriously, how many corollas are there out there......and then how many are on here with gearbox problems, or even on the lotus forums......when have you ever seen someone new to a forum sign up and post because they want to tell the world how reliable and trouble free their car is?

Rob, hope you get somewhere with it all and some piece of mind! I told you there was people far more people in the know on here . Cant go wrong with the advice Kingo gives to people when they need it.

dude... instead of sitting on toc 24/7 and posting go onto other forums and have a bit of a read. Its obvious from the lack of interest in the car that even a forum which you are an administrator on is failing with numbers because not enough people take interest into the car. Theres a reason the car has weaknesses accept them, I own the same car and as much as i love it, it does have its downsides....I dont have the time to sit and link you to countless threads with gearbox problems im fairly sure you are literate enough to do so yourself but seeing as in past debates you dont bother ill help you with this one!

Have a look with the issues of the c60 and c64 transmissions used on the 2zz-ge

someone needs a new gearbox i wonder why

and again

and again...

and again.....

oh and again

shall i keep linking

getting tired now

and thats the final straw

and they are all people on TOC, we havent even got onto the celica and lotus communities which are alot bigger than the corollas!

if you dont understand the point i was making, fair enough. but corolla club has nothing to do with this. and i dont sit on here 24/7. its a good read from time to time though! hahah

edit: glad you edited your post! its ledgible now! :)

as for accepting the weakness' of the car, i do and quite openly. anyway, this is Robs topic, as you feel so strongly about the gearbox being rubboish, you should publish a paper on it. maybe itl get published!

i replied to your point about how many corollas out there....and how many have problems well theres your examples and above are your answers.

i didnt bother replying to your first point because its not about what i want, im not actually to fussed about the syncro but its a point which has been raised else where many a time, the issues have been looked at you now get stronger 3rd and 4th gears for our transmission, Im just passing on more views than your single one!

PS: i had to edit the post it signed me out when i replied so had to use the copy feature which failed badly!

you really didnt reply to my point about how many corollas are out there, you dont see anything outside of hte forum realm. car ownership does actually happen and by people who dont come onto toc or any other forum. im sure if you rang toyota, asked how many e12's were sold in the EU, then asked how many had gearbox problems, the number wouldnt be anywhere near the false value associated with the links you posted.

anyway, this really isnt the place for yet another case of miss understanding. ciao!

i would just like to say that my old comp had no problems with the gearbox but had only covered 28,000 miles but had a oil change in the 48 month service as recommended at the service interval.

i would just like to say that my old comp had no problems with the gearbox but had only covered 28,000 miles but had a oil change in the 48 month service as recommended at the service interval.

My Compressor has not reached 20,000 miles yet! I guess sometimes this just happens.

Getting back on topic

What the Nissan dealer is doing here is saying the syncro has not failed, as in, dropped in a heap, broken, fallen off, snapped or any other catastrophic failure, it is a bit worn and that is acceptable (to him)

If he is going to dig his heels in then you must start the ball rolling. Tell him in writing what you propose to do next, no threats, just a plainly worded letter detailing what your plans are, what you expect of him and a timeline for him to reconsider

Visit the CONSUMER DIRECT website and take more detailed advice than I can offer here

I would print out what parts king has wrote and follow them, get yourself to toyota. Look in tour service manual and see if the Toyota garage it was originally from is listed and is local. Go there and pay for them to look over it and and faults should be given in writing. Then take it into Nissan.

Rob don't let this experience put you off the car, regardless of some people calling it rubbish, the gearbox is pretty solid, you'll have a lot of fun with this car!!

Best of luck

I worked as a BM in a Toyota dealer when the t sport's first came out.

I have had 5 demos and owned 2 of my own cars,one with near 60k on by the time I sold it.

I believe there are certian issues with bearings in the box on T Sports, but I have never heard of a new gearbox being required, an extensive rebuild or issues with 3rd synchro. Mine has no issue with 3rd synchro, just serviced this morning at 56400 miles.

Maybe an oil change will help?

Glynn

I have had 5 demos and owned 2 of my own cars,one with near 60k on by the time I sold it.

I believe there are certian issues with bearings in the box on T Sports, but I have never heard of a new gearbox being required, an extensive rebuild or issues with 3rd synchro. Mine has no issue with 3rd synchro, just serviced this morning at 56400 miles.

Glynn

Thanks for the reply. They have changed the oil and to be honest I now have to fight to get into 1st when cold!! I picked it up yesterday as they refused to do anymore. Its booked in for a road test with Toyota this Monday.

Glynn

Thanks for the reply. They have changed the oil and to be honest I now have to fight to get into 1st when cold!! I picked it up yesterday as they refused to do anymore. Its booked in for a road test with Toyota this Monday.

sounds like your clutch is on the way out, maybe that's been the problem all along. honestly mate, once you get over this hassle, i GUARANTEE thst another one will be waiting. as i've said before, the compressors are quite the 'unreliable car'.

Glynn

sounds like your clutch is on the way out, maybe that's been the problem all along. honestly mate, once you get over this hassle, i GUARANTEE thst another one will be waiting. as i've said before, the compressors are quite the 'unreliable car'.

my car has done 43k so far, and the only fault I have had with it is the squeaky clutch which will be getting sorted monday.

Glynn

my car has done 43k so far, and the only fault I have had with it is the squeaky clutch which will be getting sorted monday.

hope you touched wood after that, mate...

Glynn

compressors are no more unreliable as a corolla tsport this gearbox issue is just as likely to happen on a tsport as it is on a compressor they are same the gearbox after all so i think thats a bit unfair .if there is now an issue with first gear when cold after the oil change then clearly the grade of oil now in the gearbox is incorrect with the wrong vicosity. if the clutch was on its way out the same issues would be still there .

Glynn

hope you touched wood after that, mate...

don't need to, mate. Car's had a new clutch and suspension courtesy of the last owner. I totally agree with what 215 has said, and have yet to own a car that hasn't yet come completely fault free.

I get the same story at my work, im a ford tech at a transit main dealer, an i keep being told we see loads of problematic transits in our garage but its untrue we actually only see beow 1% of the total transits sold if you get what i mean.

Its the same of here i think, folks wont post up i have had my car for 10 yrs and no probs, whereas they more likely to post up problems. This is all my opinion tho.

A quick update.

A toyota Tech has now road tested the car, he said that the box was very notchy but he reckoned that the gearbox oil will need changing as he can almost guarentee that Nissan would of used the wrong oil which is why it is now hard to get into first. I called Nissan and they used 75 90 which accodring to the Toyota tech is wrong! It should be a straight 75!

Nissan have agreed to pay for me to take it to Toyota to get the correct box oil put it. I am then to see how it goes for a month then take it back to Toyota to road test again

The clock is ticking for you

Get this in writing and send a copy via recorded delivery to the Nissan dealer

The clock is ticking for you

Get this in writing and send a copy via recorded delivery to the Nissan dealer

I have emailed them regarding me wanting it fixed but now Toyota have advised that the car needs 1 month after the oil is changed to eliminate this as the problem. I have informed Nissan of this but like you have said, the clock is ticking but I cant do anything more can I?

An oil change got rid of my 3rd gear notch but it took a good few hundred miles before it went

The gear oil change intervals on these are rubbish, should be every 40k

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links