Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt & W/pump Cost?

peevee

Hi,

My local Toyota dealer has estimated a total cost of £650 to replace above in my 1999 Rav4.1

Actual cost may increase if he finds more than just the basic parts need replacing which in his words 'is likely as car is old'.

Does this sound reasonable?

Car has done 110k miles and belt and water pump were last changed at 55k miles.

Grateful for any advice.

£650 seems steep to me so unless you want to stick with a full toyota service history I would use an independant Garage, my local garage quoted £285 inc VAT, but this was using non Toyota parts at a labour rate of £40 an hour. I had a little concern over the parts, but on researching them on the internet found that they are all of good quality, manufactured to OEM specification. From memory the belt kit including idlers was £85 and the water pump circa £26.

Another option is to phone another Toyota dealer for a comparative quote.

Trust this helps

Thanks for swift reply Mstock3 - Yep, very helpful. :thumbsup: My gut feeling at the time was wow! I don't necessarily want to stick with Toyota history so I'll take your advice and try and find a good local indie. Not sure if there are any other localish Toyota dealers around but I'll do some research.

Just had the water pump done last month and the belt while the thing was in bits and the cost was less than half what you were quoted.

You don't need a dealer - just a garage thatknows what they are doing.

Right - booked car in for coming Monday. Am quite happy with estimate which is £377 total cost incl. labour and vat and also including drain & refill with anti-freeze. They also use genuine Toyota parts.

I'm using ABM Motors in Beckenham, South London ex Toyota mechanics and recommended on this board some time ago.

Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup: