Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Light Comes On When Changing Gear

nathanlcp

1997 Rav4 GX Petrol 2.0

Hello Everyone.

Its a ''when it rains.....it pours week'' i think.

I have just noticed what I find to be a strange fault/occurance, and would love some help, advice or previous experience knowledge.

When pulling off from a standing start to build up speed, the handbrake light will come on, as I reach the speed/revs required to change from 1st to 2nd gear and then from 2nd to 3rd gear.

This usually occurs on a fast pull off, I live near a busy junction and to enter a main road needs to be done quickly sometimes, but very occasionly it will happen at normal pace.

I have also noticed that occasionally when happily driving along at approx 30 - 40 mph there will bea squeaking coming from the front tyres, but if I turn the steering wheel even a tiny bit in either direction then this will go, only to return when driving in a straight line.

Through a bit of research the squeaking may be caused by brake pad wear indicators. What does everyone think??

And are the two related?? Please let me know any thoughts, I will be grateful for any tips or advice.

Many thanks

And are the two related?? Please let me know any thoughts, I will be grateful for any tips or advice.

Many thanks

read the manual, which light should come on if pads worn.

is it handbrake's or other unique for the pads? :eek:

anyway, have your brakes, visually checked. :yes::yes:

if worn, replace and then check again.

there is also a possibility that, worn pads have lowered brake fluid level + light comes on!

Check ! :eek::eek::eek:

:)

1997 Rav4 GX Petrol 2.0

Hello Everyone.

Its a ''when it rains.....it pours week'' i think.

I have just noticed what I find to be a strange fault/occurance, and would love some help, advice or previous experience knowledge.

When pulling off from a standing start to build up speed, the handbrake light will come on, as I reach the speed/revs required to change from 1st to 2nd gear and then from 2nd to 3rd gear.

This usually occurs on a fast pull off, I live near a busy junction and to enter a main road needs to be done quickly sometimes, but very occasionly it will happen at normal pace.

I have also noticed that occasionally when happily driving along at approx 30 - 40 mph there will bea squeaking coming from the front tyres, but if I turn the steering wheel even a tiny bit in either direction then this will go, only to return when driving in a straight line.

Through a bit of research the squeaking may be caused by brake pad wear indicators. What does everyone think??

Many thanks

Have you inspected the handbrake switch? - it may simply have come loose.

Hey

Thanks for both replies.

To ''kav'' thanks for your advice, I will probably end up getting new pads over the weekend

but to ''davrav'' can i just ask how i would go about checking the handbrake switch??

many thnks again to you both

Hey

Thanks for both replies.

To ''kav'' thanks for your advice, I will probably end up getting new pads over the weekend

but to ''davrav'' can i just ask how i would go about checking the handbrake switch??

many thnks again to you both

Hmmm, not familiar with the exact arrangement on your vehicle but, if it is similar to others I've worked on, the switch is likely to be attached to or activated by the handbrake lever mechanism. If you can get the gaiter or surround off or away from the housing you may well be able to see it. Just check the connector is snug, wires not chafed and the switch is mounted securely.

This exact thing happened to me recently and a new pair of front pads fixed the problem.

Hey Again

Just thought I would update this incase anyone has the same problem and let you know my findings.

On inspection with my mechanic, we found the brake pads to be a little worn, nothing extreme enough to cause the flickering though. Brake fluid was full up, no need for a top up.

We found it to be some chaffing of the wires, which is a bit of a pain as it will be a bit of a fiddle to change but there we go.

I appreciate everyones help and advice.

Many thanks to all

Hey Again

Just thought I would update this incase anyone has the same problem and let you know my findings.

On inspection with my mechanic, we found the brake pads to be a little worn, nothing extreme enough to cause the flickering though. Brake fluid was full up, no need for a top up.

We found it to be some chaffing of the wires, which is a bit of a pain as it will be a bit of a fiddle to change but there we go.

I appreciate everyones help and advice.

Many thanks to all

Glad you've traced the problem :thumbsup:

Can you be a bit more specific for future reference - which wires and what location?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links