Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 2 Weird Noise

capnbirdseye

I know the Prius is known for making some strange noises but I'm not sure what mine is.

When I'm more or less coasting or slowing down under 25mph I hear a noise I can best describe as maybe whirling something round on a rope so it makes a sort of whizzing type of noise from the front of the car.It's not noticeable at all above 30mph

I can't work out whether it's the front tyres or maybe it's the generator or whatever. The car has covered 30,000 miles and I can't recall whether the Gen 2 I had on extended loan in Dec also made a similar noise. Anyone have a similar noise maybe ?

I know the Prius is known for making some strange noises but I'm not sure what mine is.

When I'm more or less coasting or slowing down under 25mph I hear a noise I can best describe as maybe whirling something round on a rope so it makes a sort of whizzing type of noise from the front of the car.It's not noticeable at all above 30mph

I can't work out whether it's the front tyres or maybe it's the generator or whatever. The car has covered 30,000 miles and I can't recall whether the Gen 2 I had on extended loan in Dec also made a similar noise. Anyone have a similar noise maybe ?

now this may not be the problem but we once had a alarming noise coming from the front of our prius and ended up being a stone chipping stuck in brake caliper

The prius HSD does whine at low speeds, this is normal, but if it's something that has just started happening it could be something resonating under the bonnet, the air cleaner and its associated pipework are a possibility. Has the Air cleaner recently been disturbed ?

The prius HSD does whine at low speeds, this is normal, but if it's something that has just started happening it could be something resonating under the bonnet, the air cleaner and its associated pipework are a possibility. Has the Air cleaner recently been disturbed ?

How would you best describe the HSD whine noise ?

I had the air cleaner filter out last week after someone said how dirty they get long before the 40'000mile change and I blew out a load of insects etc. The noise I get slows down with the car more or less until I stop until I stop.

I had the air cleaner filter out last week after someone said how dirty they get long before the 40'000mile change and I blew out a load of insects etc. The noise I get slows down with the car more or less until I stop until I stop.

It's an electric motor/gear high pitched noise that starts at low speed, with the petrol engne off, it increases in pitch as you go faster then dissappears when the engine starts up. Same the other way as you slow to less than 30 mph and the engine has cut out the high pitched whine appears and lowers in pitch as you slow down more.

It's an electric motor/gear high pitched noise that starts at low speed, with the petrol engne off, it increases in pitch as you go faster then dissappears when the engine starts up. Same the other way as you slow to less than 30 mph and the engine has cut out the high pitched whine appears and lowers in pitch as you slow down more.

Lol - I wondered about that when I first got my gen2 in the summer of 08..

My garage is 100 yards from the end of our road and if I turn right into our road the engine is off and i travel from the end of the road to the garage on electric only. The wine gets louder as you accelerate and the softer as you slow to turn into the garage. My gen3 does the same although at the moment not as much, it will do this for longer and more often as the weather gets warmer and the engine is off for more and more...

I think you will find that it is the electric motor.

However, if you are worried about it, pop into your local Mr T and show the service guy... :thumbsup:

Hi Capn - I'm with J+T on this one.

If it STOPS making the whirry noise then you've got problems. At the moment the noise is simply telling you that you are moving but that you aren't using any petrol. It's music!

thanks for the advice one and all, I think maybe that's what it is then so not to worry :thumbsup:

By the way whoever posted the other week about cleaning the airfilter without waiting for 40,000 miles to improve mpg was spot on as mine has definitely upped by about 2 or 3 mpg since I did it :yahoo:

Sounds like the wheels and brakes operating regeneratively to me - just as they should! Don't worry your car is working perfectly, but if you're worried get it checked out for peace of mind!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links