Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise Rattling

princewajid

hi i have a avensis d4d 2004 118000 CLOCK, the problem that i have is

that its been couple of weeks that my avensis is making knocking/rattling noise just left side of the engine when i rev it the noise disappears. I have took it to a mechanic and he said it might be the timing belt or the alternater belt and its not the flywheel or clutch. As my timing belt was due i had it changed with the timing kit

and the alternatar belt and the steering belt. After spending all that money the noise is still there and the mechanic said he dosent understand wots the cause of the noise.

I am self-employed cab driver and iv been off work for 2 weeks because of this stupid problem. PLEASE HELP ME

that its been couple of weeks that my avensis is making knocking/rattling noise just left side of the engine when i rev it the noise disappears. I have took it to a mechanic and he said it might be the timing belt or the alternater belt and its not the flywheel or clutch. As my timing belt was due i had it changed with the timing kit

and the alternatar belt and the steering belt. After spending all that money the noise is still there and the mechanic said he dosent understand wots the cause of the noise.

I am self-employed cab driver and iv been off work for 2 weeks because of this stupid problem. PLEASE HELP ME

hello

check with engine running at idle and when the bonnet is open --- check with an exact spot of this noise arising. any engine vibration is visible? You can manually rev it by fuel rack on the pump to see what is going on and what can cause this problem. what is service history excluding above listed? Be accurate with wordings. How the engine is started??? Any observations? Cheers/Igor

Have you tried running the engine with the auxilary belts removed - that may help narrow the search.:)

thanx for the replys, what is a auxiliary belt?? Everything about the car is normal

its just this evil noise coming from the left side of the engine near the steering belt.

when i rev the car the noise is gone but comes bak mostly loud when idle.

Timing belt wont rattle... But pullies might they make more of a "jingling" noise.

Alternator Belt wont rattle ... BUT, the clutch inside the alternator is known to go bad

Power Steering pump bearings might have gone..

or aircon cluth.

The aux Belt is the Power Steering, Alternator belts.

Before you spend any more money......

describe the knock, does it vibrate or is it a steady knocking with the engine running...

start the car up let it warm up alittle

Turn on the aircon

Has the noise gone ?

I would be putting my money on the powersteering pump OR aircon.

you can remove the aircon belt first..

It does sound like an Aircon problem alright, maybe a compressor clutc problem. Mine was rattling on idle a bit, had to have the compressor reconditioned. Something to do with the idle bearings in the compressor. Try disconnecting the Power Steering and Aircon aux belt, if the nosie stops, its probably the aircon.

If it is the aircon compressor, I know you can remove the aux belt that is in there, and put on one meant for a car without aircon, thus bypassing the aircon compressor totally. The aircon wont work, but its cheaper than a compressor replacement!

I had the same problem last year and the A/C compressor was at fault.A shorter belt,by-passing the A/C fixed the problem,but no A?C since.

to AvensisKen.....could you let me know where you got the A?C repaired and at what cost,please.I would like to have that repaired but cannot afford a new compressor.Tks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links