Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estimated Range After Fill Up

flow

Hello All

Just wondering what everyones estimated range is on a full tank of petrol ?

The last few fill ups, ive noticed mine steadily going down - A full tank earlier today showed an estimated range of 390 miles.

Does it base it on the last recoreded MPG figures ?

Ta

It seems to yes. Not sure if it bases it on the last tank average or the last 5 min average. Don't worry though as the fuel guage errs on the side of caution in a big way.

It seems to yes. Not sure if it bases it on the last tank average or the last 5 min average. Don't worry though as the fuel guage errs on the side of caution in a big way.

I know what you mean about the fuel err'ing on the side of caution.

Its just bizzare that sometiems a full tank gives estimates anywhere from 450 odd miles down to my latest of 390.

Just wondering what everyones estimates are ?

Interesting. - My Cruise Range is telling me I now have 59km worth of fuel left and I still have two "fuel bars" showing. So far this tank, each fuel bar has been giving me around 80 - 90km.

Something doesn't add up. :wacko:

After a hectic half term of runnng around here there & everywhere, just filled up again & estimated range is showing as 405 miles.

I think the computer must look at the last few recorded mpg figures & base the calculation on that.

I've never looked! I know that I get 300 miles from full to an indicated half tank and usually fill up again then... I have noticed the 'range' figure, but never really taken any notice, sorry!

Interesting. - My Cruise Range is telling me I now have 59km worth of fuel left and I still have two "fuel bars" showing. So far this tank, each fuel bar has been giving me around 80 - 90km.

In reply to myself, I have now observed that the Cruise Range in my Auris HSD seems to refer to the km left before the "Low Fuel Warning" comes on. - Not the km relative to the remaining fuel in the tank.

In reply to myself, I have now observed that the Cruise Range in my Auris HSD seems to refer to the km left before the "Low Fuel Warning" comes on. - Not the km relative to the remaining fuel in the tank.

Thats interesting - sounds like the computer in the Auris does a differnt calculation differently to the Prius? Either that or, your driving much more economically than the Auris thinks your likely to lol

Thats interesting - sounds like the computer in the Auris does a differnt calculation differently to the Prius? Either that or, your driving much more economically than the Auris thinks your likely to lol

Well, the Cruise Range was counting down and hit zero just as the Low Fuel Warning came on. It then remained at zero despite the fact that when I filled, there was still around 6 -7 litres in the tank, which is good for over another 100+km.

Filled up yesterday just as 2 bars were shown on the display, indicating 2 gallons left I think. Only took 33.3 litres so another 16 must have been left. Backs up the thought that the range must be exclusive of the last gallon.

Hello All

The last few fill ups, ive noticed mine steadily going down - A full tank earlier today showed an estimated range of 390 miles.

Ta

Hi

I am a new Prius owner, of some three weeks, on my first fill up with the tank full, a lot of local running about, second fill up with two pips showing I put in 38 Litres, the milage was showing 398, av 47mpg.

ColinEL EX MG nut

Hello All

Ta

Gen 2 doesn't have an estimated range.

I will fill up soon. I have done 412 miles and have 4 bars remaining.

David

The Gen3 fuel gauge and fuel remaining indicator is woefully inaccurate - a complete waste of time.

Although the manual does state that the 'fill-up' warning will flash when there is something like 7.5l fuel remaining -I cant remember the exact figure (at least 75 miles), the estimated range count down quickly and then sit at 0 miles until you fill up (which could be 20 miles later).

I have no idea how the range is calculated but it is the worst estimate of range I have come across.

The fuel gauge is also very non-linear.

It has to base it's calculations on average MPG. So if your average MPG before you fill up is 10 the range will be less than an average MPG of 50. Compare the range AND average MPG figure when you next fill up.

It has to base it's calculations on average MPG

I am sure it does, but the wild card is how accurate the fuel gauge is! (how much fuel remains) and what the range says is when you filled up.

It jut doesn't follow such a simple relationship and doesn't give such a straight forward calculation - As I said earlier, the range calculation is little better than useless in my vehicle (the worst I have come across) - sorry!

No range remaining displayed on Gen 2. At first I missed it, but now I just keep an eye on how many bars of fuel are remianing and fill up once it gets to about three. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

That's really interesting and explains (possibly) something that's been bothering me. When I fill up (usually at the 2 bar stage)I get an estimated range of around 400 miles, which is a tad disappointing. If that figure is simply to the milage until the "fill up now" light comes on then then I can reasonably add at least 50 miles plus onto the range. Has anybody any idea which fuel consumption figures the car computer bases it's calculation on? Is it the last 5 minutes, or the overall since the last reset?

Appin

That's really interesting and explains (possibly) something that's been bothering me. When I fill up (usually at the 2 bar stage)I get an estimated range of around 400 miles, which is a tad disappointing. If that figure is simply to the milage until the "fill up now" light comes on then then I can reasonably add at least 50 miles plus onto the range. Has anybody any idea which fuel consumption figures the car computer bases it's calculation on? Is it the last 5 minutes, or the overall since the last reset?

Appin

I never look at the 'range' on my gen3, i work on the assumption that if I'm getting 60+ mpg, i should get roughly 600 miles from a tank ful, assuming there is around 10 gallons in the tank...

I'm pretty sure that mpg displays on nearly all modern cars with fuel injected engines are calculated on the basis of how much fuel is being squirted through the fuel injectors. The computer knows how often it's fired them, and how long they were left open. Because it also knows the pressure of fuel in the fuel rail it can calculate the volume of fuel injected.

The float in the fuel tank is only there for the fuel gauge.