Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Starting Problem On Video

stewyinpagham

Hi all. Any one had this wierd problem when starting their Diesel Rav when the weathers a bit damp?.

I've worked out that it happens when the ambient temperature is about 5-8deg C. It's not every time but I've finally caught it on camera-phone!

If the cars covered in thick ice or snow it starts perfect. If the temperatures nice and warm, perfect. It's done it on a full tank of fuel and when the fuel lamps on. It's done it parked up hill and down hill. When it does start it pulls like a train. 99% of the fuel it's had is V-power or Optimax and I've cleaned out the EGR after this started and it still does it!

Hi, how are you starting it. It sounds like you maybe holding the start button in instead of push and leave. The heater may not be warming the glow plugs enough when it is cold or the glow plugs playing up themselves if it is only happens when its cold.

Cheers

Hi Offroadster. This only occurs when the temp is approx 5 to 8 deg C. When it frozen hard it's on the button. When it's hot or the ambient temp is hot it's is on the button. The start button is more like the return button on your 'mac. It just sends a 'start' signal to the brain. I've just tried holding down the start button and it does not keep the starter engaged.

Hi Offroadster. This only occurs when the temp is approx 5 to 8 deg C. When it frozen hard it's on the button. When it's hot or the ambient temp is hot it's is on the button. The start button is more like the return button on your 'mac. It just sends a 'start' signal to the brain. I've just tried holding down the start button and it does not keep the starter engaged.

Sounds to me like an overfuelling problem, in that the glow plugs are not helping to pre-heat and ignite the fuel, so it's "detonating" extra diesel for a few seconds. Happens to me sometimes if I forget to let glowplug light extinguish itself.

Big Kev

Next time keep your foot off the clutch and when the heater plug light goes out wait another 15 seconds then start it.

Hi Anchorman.. O-guru of Ravvy things..

I will try the waiting but the question is.. when its really cold, into the minuses, it's on the button no waiting. Surely thats when it needs the warmth to stop the 'cold' diesel putting out the fire?

Have you an idea of the current draw for the glowies so I can put a peak-hold clamp meter on the supply and push the button.

EDIT

Leaving the glowies on for longer.

Hi Anchorman.. O-guru of Ravvy things..

I will try the waiting but the question is.. when its really cold, into the minuses, it's on the button no waiting. Surely thats when it needs the warmth to stop the 'cold' diesel putting out the fire?

Have you an idea of the current draw for the glowies so I can put a peak-hold clamp meter on the supply and push the button.

EDIT

Leaving the glowies on for longer.

hello mate

you ve got an diesel - so it is typically for him to have vibration --- check with el contacts responsible for starting first. If you lucky when it is cold them it is clear understood thanks to a minus temp the contacts are good and wise.

The tip is clear for you -- check and revert. Cheers/Igor