Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Rav 4.2 D4D Egr Valve Cleaning

Sensei

What is EGR?

In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol/gasoline and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture. Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates. NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature.

Schematics, info and testing instructions previously posted on this forum (by Anchorman if I'm not mistaken):

New 4.2 EGR.pdf

New features - 1CD-FTV engine.pdf

New 4.2 EGR test.pdf

Over time a carbon buildup will occur and the valve should be cleaned. Before doing this procedure the Battery nagative terminal should be disconnected.

egr1.th.jpg

Step 1: Disconnect the MAF sensor.

egr2u.th.jpg

Step 2: Disconnect the air hose.

egr3.th.jpg

Step 3: Loosen the hose clamp (alternately loosen the clamp in the other end of the hose).

egr4.th.jpg

Step 4: Release the two spring clips on the air cleaner top cover. Remove the air cleaner top cover (and attached hose). Take out the filter element noting which way it's installed.

egr5.th.jpg

Step5: Unscrew the two bolts inside the bottom of the air cleaner body and the one on the outside. Remove the air cleaner body.

egr6.th.jpg

Step 6: Release the clamps on the two cooling hoses and disconnect them. Keep a rag or some paper towel ready as a little cooling fluid will squirt out. Watch your eyes.

egr7.th.jpg egr8.th.jpg egr9.th.jpg

Step 7: Disconnect the electrical connector on the top of the EGR valve. Unscrew the two nuts on each side of the valve and the bolt at the bottom. The valve itself should come off quite easy as there is a metal gasket acting as a spring.

egr10.th.jpg

Ste 8: This is my valve before cleaning. It has probably not been cleaned before, and surely not the last year (25 000 km). It doesn't look too bad compared to other valves I've seen depicted. The valve itself is in the center of the two holes and moves in the direction of the red arrow. The valve is spring-loaded, and the red spring is visible here. The top part (blue arrow) should be removed so that you can turn and push down on the moving part for a thorough cleaning. I used a toothbrush and some carburetor cleaner. While the valve is off, as much as possible of the ports (from exhaust manifold and to intake manifold) should be cleaned as well.

Refitting is reverse of removal. :thumbsup:

Excellent photo guide Sensei. Would expect nothing less from a teacher though :thumbsup:

Hopefully this can be pinned alongside the earlier guide.

• 1 year later...

just sorted the EGR on my 09 rav4, 18000 miles and never been looked at, needless to say it was choked, a big thank you to all concerned for the excellent coverage for making the job so easy, once again thanks.

B-A aka Geordie

just sorted the EGR on my 09 rav4, 18000 miles and never been looked at, needless to say it was choked, a big thank you to all concerned for the excellent coverage for making the job so easy, once again thanks.

B-A aka Geordie

At the risk of scaremongeritis, Geordie, just be absolutely certain there are no other sinister reasons for your EGR being blocked. How's your oil consumption, and do you use supermarket fuel in general.....?

Big Kev

the rav used 750ml in 2000 miles, had it in to mr t while getting the rear end check so they are doing a consumption check at the moment, the soot was dry so not to much oil passing through, I hope, since being on here I have heeded he warning and I'm using Shell fuel. the car it self came up from London with 16000 on it, I reckon it's been a Chelsea tractor with a lot of short cold hops

just order some BG244, so hope that will clear any excess in the system

Geordie

The soot you describe is same as mine was in SR180, in that it was more a powder than a gooey mess, indicative of having used good / better fuel I think.....or maybe the Chelsea school run was indeed the culprit. Good luck regardlessless,

Big Kev

Your EGR cleaning days are over now big boy.

Having looked at it (sorry....having had the new type POINTED OUT TO ME....), I wouldn't dream of touching it. A totally different animal entirely..

Drove the wife's 3 door today....it has one of these stickshift things where one selects the required gear oneself....really quaint, what....?

Big Kev

• 4 years later...

Hello. I have a Rav4 2.2 l engine 2AD 2007. 175000 km on the odometer. I live in albania/europe and the fuel here is crap. You think that you are puting diesel but insted who knows what the ******** are they puting in. Anyway I followed the steps here and decided to clean the EGR. Oh my god. It was almost blocked. Due to the sot it was left only a hole of 5 or 6 mm. While accelerating I saw a lot of smoke on my mirrors. We cleaned the Egr and removed the intake mainfold and cleaned it also. Also did a decarboniser for the intake valves.

Sorry,I don't have pictures. The car works like charm now and there is no smoke from the exhoust.

To dismantle the egr was preaty simple. The hole cost was 20 usd :) to dismanlte eveything.

Thank you for this post guys.

I also have one question. Sine the diesel here is crap,and mostly I do urban driving what other steps do ypu recommend to do to take care of my Rav. When should I change my oil? Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a 2014 Toyota RAV4 GX AWD 2.2D Diesel. Is the problem with the EGR valve still an issue with the newer models? I note that most of the comments i have seen seem to be with the 2006 and 2007 year cars.

Should i steer clear of buying this car because of this issue or is it minor??

Cheers for your help

Think with any modern diesel, the EGR valve may need cleaning at regular intervals.