Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apparant Save In Fuel Running Only 1/2Tank Max

harrypotter:)

Complete nonsense people reckon only fill your tank up to half and save more fuel by the extra weight savings??? WHAT!!! 35ltr divide into 2 =17.5 im good at maths!! so whats that well water is 1.2kg per ltr approx so say 20kg extra weight what the hell is that going to save even a 60ltr tank half that you will be 32-33kg lighter cant see that doing much, also you never know when the next price hike is, also the new thing is to ditch the spare tyre WHY! :o what you save in weight you will spend on recovery when your can of tyre mend fails to work :!Removed!: and i know as i ditched my spare and only saved 0.7mpg over 400miles and lost £50 in lost of wages +wife had to drive 50miles to me with the bl**dy spare which i put in the garage as i thought my can of tyre mend would save me OR NOT! she was angry :ffs: :censor: ! Back to the 1/2 tank subject why not fill up to rim and run down to 1/4 i know 3 people at work who has never gone past 1/2 for years and now there gauges dont work when they finally pass 1/2??? guess something corroded up or the shock of someone putting in more than 1/2 tank of juice. Another one is my workmate at work only puts £10 in per day 5times a week he claims saves me money in weight and if someone nicks it they will have to fill it up but he drives 3miles out of his way to filling station on way to work???+ he complains its smoking and not running right the muppet drives it down to reserve light everyday with the car screaming out FILL ME FOR F***sake, for god sakes those injectors or filter must be caked up with gunk. Yes i know im a bit grumpy today and want a moan its sunday and have kids screaming and running around so need to get everything out. anyway if you have kept your patience reading this and not fell asleep :yawn: whats your views on what i have just said, :eek: im wide awake after all that :yahoo:

Lol :yahoo:

It's good to have a rant now and again, stops your hair falling out or something!!

However, when they do an mpg test, they empty the petrol tank and put a measured gallon in. The lack of a few pounds therefore gives about half an mpg extra :thumbsup:

Frankly i couldnt be bothered, always fill up at half a tank unless i've been somewhere that i know i can get there and back on three quarters of a tank ... So not a 'half tank must fill, scenario, but if i'm home and it's half then i'll fill up.

I have personal reasons for never leaving the car with less than half a tank so i'm with you on this one :yahoo:

The idea that running a fuel tank low will pull up a load of gunk is an urban myth.

Even when the tank is full any gunk naturally falls to the bottom of the tank. And as the fuel pump inlet (complete with its own filter) reaches to the bottom of the tank anyway the amount of fuel in the tank makes no difference to the risk of pulling gunk into the fuel system.:)

One litre of petrol weighs 0.75 Kilograms and one litre of water is 1 Kilo.

Well every little helps as they say :)

Less weight is always better so the small saving you get from running a half-tank combined with everything else does add up!

I used to do the half-tank thing with my old Fiesta but with my Yaris I can't be assed; I just fill it up and refuel a month later when I get down to the single blinking block (Since the fuel gauge is so inaccurate once you get past the halfway mark this actually means I have something like 80-100 miles left :lol: )

I always let the tank run down till the reserve beep comes on and then fill to the brim. It might not be the most fuel efficient way, but I can get about two weeks motoring without the hassle of pulling in for petrol. :D Current comsumption is about 50mpg or a little above, so not complaining.

I wonder if the VW Polo Bluemotion comes with a spare wheel . .

I remember at my old work, people were on about full tanks are bad for fuel consumption but I disagreed.

I never notice a full tank hindering my Yaris' performance - if anything I was convinced it felt better with a full tank! May have just been perfect weather not long after refuelling, but certainly never dulled the performance.

I agree with Cyker, the fuel gauge isn't accurate in mine either but I have the miles just about sussed with it; the first bar goes after 80-100 miles, half a tank (on the gauge) with 100+ miles remaining. Often refuel on the low fuel 'fast flash' blinking block if I know I can get to a Shell garage in time; fill up sooner if in doubt. Learnt my lesson not to drive it for too long with the 'fast flash' after my old one stopped on a hill in Durham! That and the current cars are both petrol.