Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damage Thread

wangtastic

Thought it'd be a bit of fun to start a "Damage" thread.

Basically you post up details of any accidents/faults/damage etc that you've had with your 'rolla and what was required to put it right.

Did one of these on another forum many moons ago and it was a bit of a laugh, so here goes!

The first thing I ever had to have fixed on the car was the window regulator when I bought it off my grandad in 2009.

Cost? £450!

Then that Christmas I slid on ice and crashed into the kerb causing £1500 worth of damage to my car...Insurance Job. lol.

Then last year had someone smash my mirrors. £70 for a new pair.

and finally let my tire run too flat and needed a new one last year. £40.

all in all not too bad for a 9 year old car! :P

• Like 1

good idea for a thread mate!

first thing i did was after loads of handbreaking in the snow last march. handbreak went quite loose and then this horrible loud clicking noise sdtarted coming from my back brakes! all the springs and stuff were all being crunched up inside while i was driving it.

cost me 300 quid in total for new handbrake set. :(

next about 3 months after buying some lovely new alloys (see pic)

car8825312.jpg

i was on my way to work, half asleep, closed eyes for a bit too long. BAM!

straight up the curb :(

imag01599139646.jpg

ouch. and dented the rear one breaking the seal. the other two i drove around with on the rear til i got my new wheels a few weeks ago. was gutted. what a waste!

so basically i lost £480 from that set, and then had to fork out £525 for my new set LOL!

thats it so far. hopefully nothing else will happen!

DAYUMMM!

brings whole new meaning to "you snooze you loose"

mate that is a savage repair bill. :|

could you not have got the alloies rebuilt/repaired?

nice pics btw :P

new wing mirror backing £30 from dealers and another £30 to spray it up and put it back on.

alternator refurbishment (probably my audio system killed it) £90 for refurb, £25 to take it out and put it back in again.

some woman hit passenger front wing on roundabout. insurance would have declared it 50/50 fault there was no damage to her car so i said i'd sort my own out - £300 genuine new wing sprayed and fitted.

the day i bought mine from the showroom i was driving home (teenager style) and coming up to a juncttion thought i was going from 5th to 4th (doing about 70mph... put it into 2nd.. engine management light came on and all hell happened.

new wing mirror backing £30 from dealers and another £30 to spray it up and put it back on.

alternator refurbishment (probably my audio system killed it) £90 for refurb, £25 to take it out and put it back in again.

some woman hit passenger front wing on roundabout. insurance would have declared it 50/50 fault there was no damage to her car so i said i'd sort my own out - £300 genuine new wing sprayed and fitted.

Ouch man, surely it was her fault though?!

the day i bought mine from the showroom i was driving home (teenager style) and coming up to a juncttion thought i was going from 5th to 4th (doing about 70mph... put it into 2nd.. engine management light came on and all hell happened.

oh man! what problems did you have?!

DAYUMMM!

brings whole new meaning to "you snooze you loose"

mate that is a savage repair bill. :|

could you not have got the alloies rebuilt/repaired?

nice pics btw :P

doubt the one in the pic could be repaired. i tried every shop selling them but they would not split sets, and the scrappys seemed to have every inovit wheel except the one i wanted lol

well after it had screeeeaaammed and lots of warning lights came on i hit the brakes and the engine stalled.. RAC came..tried to get it going but it sounded rough as hell.. all tapping and knocking. they said that all its timing was out and that id done some damage to what was left of the valves.. they took it back to the garage on the back of their truck.. and had to get the insurance company to basically rebuild a lot of it as they worked out id made the engine do about 17 000 rpm haha turns out that doesnt do it much good... no idea what i cost.. i paid the excess and just wanted my new car back!.. she runs smoooooth as anything now though. and im extra careful when changing down a gear

Hmmmm blimey, not sure i can remember any faults on her...... :/

First fault was some moron (previous owner) fitted a towbar.......REMOVED, cost- £0

Second fault was std filter had not been replaced! :o .........Typhon acquired and fitted! ;) all in £85

Third fault, headlight bulb popped 100 miles from home, needed to replace immediately as was working at the cop head quarters! lol.....REPLACED....cost= £5.99 and about an hour of my life with NO tools and no torch :(

Fourth fault, rear springs were shedding their powder coating..............Replaced with TTEs!..........cost £140 ish, i think, Fitting cost = freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Fifth fault, dirvers side ARB drop link bushes were nailed...........REPLACED......cost £12.99 and about 2 hours of nobbing about due to stripped thread/allen key fail! Oh and the copper trying to warn me of 'the potential risk of not watermarking my valuable property' didnt help much! hahaha

I think about 2 of them is a genuine fault lol. the rest are about as much as that has ever been wrong with it.

Onto more current issues:-

January 16, 2011, Mr White Van Man, decided to pull into the side of me.... joy. Threads on here somewhere. What turned out to be slight damage and 'it might buff out mate'.....to £3279 in repair value (thanks admiral :)) and the remaining still to be replaced/fixed.

- half of the front lower plastic strip.

- full passenger side wing mirror (mechanism and painted plastic)

- stereo display no longer working (so may need a new stereo)

- rear wing + bunmper scrape/scratch

- lost locking wheel nut cover (they might have to buy a new set of 4 as without covers, the toyota ones are *****)

Items replaced on first repair period (still awaiting full breakdown of parts, this is what i can see and have been definitely told about):-

- front engine subframe

- both front lower arms

- both front lower ball joints

- new arch liner

- new shock

- new wing

- new alloy

- new tyre

- half new plastic lower strip

- new leccy window (pass side)

- resprayed door + front bumper

- new number plate

- new sump

- new oil filter + oil

- lots of new bolts

- laser alignment and geometry check

im fairly sure, in fact know, the list is way longer than that, but ill stick to the deffinate. seems like a fairly comprehensive 'small bump' repair to me! :P

picture........ http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u1/ricc1980/corolla/Corolla_Crash_02.jpg

Haha your poor car Ricc!

I did spot your thread about the crash, can't believe the repair service you got, terrible!!

Tbh, I think the worst damage on there is the tow bar. :P

I agree. the towbar was pretty bad ! its stored behind my dining room table. weighs a fricking tonne. the only real issue was gelting a new impact beam.

well after it had screeeeaaammed and lots of warning lights came on i hit the brakes and the engine stalled.. RAC came..tried to get it going but it sounded rough as hell.. all tapping and knocking. they said that all its timing was out and that id done some damage to what was left of the valves.. they took it back to the garage on the back of their truck.. and had to get the insurance company to basically rebuild a lot of it as they worked out id made the engine do about 17 000 rpm haha turns out that doesnt do it much good... no idea what i cost.. i paid the excess and just wanted my new car back!.. she runs smoooooth as anything now though. and im extra careful when changing down a gear

I know I am new, but.... LMAO!! Spectacular!! 17k redline :thumbsup:

I agree. the towbar was pretty bad ! its stored behind my dining room table. weighs a fricking tonne. the only real issue was gelting a new impact beam.

What model is the towbar for? I'm currently looking for a towbar for my Corolla 1.4 T3 (03).

it for any e12. is a propper toyota one. although i have the main beam the ball and remaining fixings are long gone, as are all the electricals.......so mine is no longer usable.

the 1.4 would struggle with much weight on the back.........even my old 'jet ski' would make it cry :/

noedel has a removable towbar on his e12 d4d, he may be able to fill you in more. his also looks waaaaay more acceptable than my original toyota one.

pic ...... http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2247/foto0211j.jpg

it for any e12. is a propper toyota one. although i have the main beam the ball and remaining fixings are long gone, as are all the electricals.......so mine is no longer usable.

the 1.4 would struggle with much weight on the back.........even my old 'jet ski' would make it cry :/

noedel has a removable towbar on his e12 d4d, he may be able to fill you in more. his also looks waaaaay more acceptable than my original toyota one.

pic ...... http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2247/foto0211j.jpg

Ah shame, woulda had that off you if you had the fixings and ball as well.

Don't need to tow much weight anyway, I've just got a small homemade trailer for my kayaks and motocross bikes.