Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Axle / Hub Nut Socket

richard.c

Hi,

Anyone know the size and type of socket for the large multi point nut that holds the axle onto the wheel hub, and a stockist of it ?

Thanks

30 mm double hex

Thanks for that - found this video in the Corolla Land forum - wish I could change an axle in 5 mins - some handy practical tips though.

Like the power impact wrench , but as I'm no beefcake just wondering which would spin, me or the nut :lol:

• 4 years later...

i have an avensis NG 2.0 DVD Terra. Does anybody know what he hub axle nut torque setting is.

Why not ask your question in the Avensis club, rather than the Corolla Club.

• 3 years later...

Anyone know the socket size for corolla verso d4d it's a 2 litre 05 plate. I'm battling getting my alternator out and it looks like the only option I'm left with is to take the drive shaft out. Only need to change my brushes, but the set up on this car has turned what should have been a simple task into a pig of a faff

• 10 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fishcheese said:

Anyone know the socket size for corolla verso d4d it's a 2 litre 05 plate. I'm battling getting my alternator out and it looks like the only option I'm left with is to take the drive shaft out. Only need to change my brushes, but the set up on this car has turned what should have been a simple task into a pig of a faff

I,m doing exactly same thing changing alternator in same car ..Ridiculous Did you got the nut size ?

Hi, if it’s 12 point socket very likely to be same as Auris and it is a 30mm. Buy good quality one, Draper have a nice ones for around £10-£15, don’t forget before you undo the nut use hammer and chisel to lift up the lip that was punched into the shaft canal, will make you job easier and no risk to damage the shaft tread. Torque to 216Nm after you put back all together. 
Good luck

It's madness for simple job of changing alternator. I stack on last bolt. Whole  drive shaft is screwed to the engine on two bolts but top bolt facing transmission. I have space only for small spanner but bolt is seized . I need to use a breaker bar. I'm ordering crow foot It may reach it. If anyone had the same problem and got any solution let me know.image.thumb.png.182bd3d03ea1cfa2a5fe824c7210b980.png+

22 minutes ago, ReEbel said:

It's madness for simple job of changing alternator. I stack on last bolt. Whole  drive shaft is screwed to the engine on two bolts but top bolt facing transmission. I have space only for small spanner but bolt is seized . I need to use a breaker bar. I'm ordering crow foot It may reach it. If anyone had the same problem and got any solution let me know.+

This thread may help  -

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169147-corolla-verso-d4d-22-177-2007-alternator-remplacement/

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I was looking for this before. I took drive shaft out of the hub just trying to take it out of gear box now

12. Now you have to remove the 2 bolts on the drive shaft bearing assembly (in the middle of the drive shaft between the gearbox and the gaiter). You can tap them lightly once loosened to help ease the drive shaft out of the gear box.

Those pesky 2 bolts .

Hi,

Afraid I find that method a bit confusing as seems he is separating  parts of the hub  ?  to get the driveshaft moved - are the Versos driveshafts  so different ?

Have only worked on the stardard Corolla, and to remove the driveshaft is quiet easy, the main points being  -

Remove the hub nut

Undo the 3 bolts securing the bottom wishbone ball joint. and swing the strut and hub away so the driveshat end comes out  - supporting  the driveshaft.as you withdraw  it.

They say to remove the inner end use a pry bar, found that difficult, but feel its more sudden impact rather brute force is better in doing this.

For the opposite side, I place a wooden drift on the inner joint housing and gave the drift a strong blow with lump hammer which seems to jump the snap ring out easier that prying agaist the gearbox casing.

Don't forget to both drain the gearbox oil and refill with new before starting the engine as that can ruin the whole lot !!

To remove the hub nut you need a 1/2 " drive wrench, not a ratchet type which may break and a length  of scafold tube or similar slid over the wrench for leverage.

000117.jpg

On 3/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Afraid I find that method a bit confusing as seems he is separating  parts of the hub  ?  to get the driveshaft moved - are the Versos driveshafts  so different ?

Have only worked on the stardard Corolla, and to remove the driveshaft is quiet easy, the main points being  -

Remove the hub nut

Undo the 3 bolts securing the bottom wishbone ball joint. and swing the strut and hub away so the driveshat end comes out  - supporting  the driveshaft.as you withdraw  it.

They say to remove the inner end use a pry bar, found that difficult, but feel its more sudden impact rather brute force is better in doing this.

For the opposite side, I place a wooden drift on the inner joint housing and gave the drift a strong blow with lump hammer which seems to jump the snap ring out easier that prying agaist the gearbox casing.

Don't forget to both drain the gearbox oil and refill with new before starting the engine as that can ruin the whole lot !!

To remove the hub nut you need a 1/2 " drive wrench, not a ratchet type which may break and a length  of scafold tube or similar slid over the wrench for leverage.

000117.jpg

Yes drive shaft got bracket which is screwed to the engine . Nothing is easy on this car

20200327_180204.thumb.jpg.546df721c5d0b2432c448799f9f2c31a.jpg20200327_180212.thumb.jpg.6252420205e39549454dc84c1df4aff3.jpg

I managed to  unscrew drive shaft with smaller ratchet. What a pain. I'm sharing pictures for someone in future. Alternator is fixed. Thank you for help

• Like 1