Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Consumption

CassieJa

I've had my IQ for just over 2 weeks, I filled up to the limit and now it's flashing low after just 265 miles! Previously I had a Suzuki Swift GLX 1.5 and the mileage was much better! I estimate there's around 8 litres remaining, that's not going to go too far!:eek:

Anyone else disappointed with theirs?

Now i am interested in hearing when you actually fill up,

untill then you actually dont know how much fuel you have used!

(you cant go by the gauge.)

if you have 8 litres left it will mean you have bettered 50 mpg.

what iQ is it,

manual or auto & what kind of driving, in town or out of town

& is it only short journeys you do where the car isnt getting a chance to get up to running temp?

I can do more than 265 miles in 1 day & get over 55mpg in a 1.0 auto.

thats using tesco's super unleaded @ £1.31 a litre.

rather than un-leaded @ £1.25 a litre.

http://www.petrolprices.com

Usefull for finding best price locally or on a trip.

george

I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago having just picked up mine... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121596&st=0

The car wont do anywhere near Toyota's claims and 265 is good for a full tank. I got 300 miles out of my last tank but that was literally driving at walking pace and taking twice as long to get everywhere. I am still trying ways to better it.

It is certainly possible to get over 60mpg on a run, as I have done often between Edinburgh and Newcastle which is about about 120miles, and as the tank holds about 7 gallons that equates to 420 miles for a tankful.(IQ2 manual)

But of course you wouldn't run the tank dry in real life, so it is a bit of a meaningless calculation.

Now i am interested in hearing when you actually fill up,until then you actually dont know how much fuel you have used(you cant go by the gauge.if you have 8 litres left it will mean you have bettered 50 mpg>what iQ is it, manual or auto & what kind of driving, in town or out of town & is it only short journeys you do where the car isnt getting a chance to get up to running temp?I can do more than 265 miles in 1 day & get over 55mpg in a 1.0 auto. thats using tesco's super unleaded @ £1.31 a litre.<br>rather than un-leaded @ £1.25 a litre.href="http://www.petrolprices.com"'>http://www.petrolprices.com" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://www.petrolprices.com Usefull for finding best price locally or on a trip.george
I filled up to the brim at Tesco's a couple of days after I got it, reset it to journey 1 so I would know exactly how many miles it would be on a full tank, it's the IQ1 manual, I checked out one of the fuel consumption sites and after putting in the info required it said I was getting 52 mpg so overall it wasn't going to come even close to the 462 expected.I've driven it to Blackpool twice at roughly 110 miles each round trip, only 2 runs on the motorway and keeping the speed around 60mph, other trips have been local, the exact same trips I did in my Suzuki so I've been able to compare them accurately and it still beats the IQ hands down!

EDIT

Sorry i posted there after reading the reply on my phone

& missed half the post.

I know that in the automatic i will be able to get 66 mpg on one long return journey,

driving carefully & not using A/C.

But 462 miles from 32 litres (7 gallons)

would mean needing to do 66 mpg & having run the tank empty.

I would hardly expect 66mpg as an avarage over several days of starting from cold & using at a variety of speeds.

Looking forward to trying to better 60 mpg on a regular basis tho,

i am doing 55 mpg without even trying to save fuel..doing Single & dual carriageways at the speed limit

but no town driving , just a few 30 or 40mph through villages..

The Suzuki Swift 1.5 has a 45 litre tank(just under 10 gallons)

& an estimated range of 431 miles,

which would be mean doing 43 mpg average for the full tank.

All the best with it.

george

It is certainly possible to get over 60mpg on a run, as I have done often between Edinburgh and Newcastle which is about about 120miles, and as the tank holds about 7 gallons that equates to 420 miles for a tankful.(IQ2 manual)

But of course you wouldn't run the tank dry in real life, so it is a bit of a meaningless calculation.

i often do this route! if u take the lil a roads its amazing...

working out max range on 2 different cars is a bit pointless as they'll have different size tanks. My 2.0 ltr RAV 4wd has roughly the same range as my 1.33 ltr iq3 at around the 300-320 mile mark, but the Rav has a 12 gallon tank and the iq a 7 gallon tank. You need to compare MPG , the Rav averages around 31 MPG and the IQ 51 MPG , basically on my daily commute i save roughly £7 a day. I'm happy.

on some of the threads on this site you'll find people with new iq's reckon the fuel comsumption improves over time and mileage. Dont give up on it yet.

I get 68mpg every week (IQ2 Manual)

I have noticed much better mpg when buying my fuel from Shell than when I buy from Asda

I get 68mpg every week (IQ2 Manual)

I have noticed much better mpg when buying my fuel from Shell than when I buy from Asda

You must be winding people up at walking pace to achieve that - 55 is the best I can do and that is just feathering the throttle and coasting downhill as well as sitting in lane 1 of the motoreay at 60mph. It is physically not possible to use any less fuel.

Its maybe worth trying driving it like the revvy 3 cylinder VVT-i engine that it is.

(if its a 1.0)

Especially worth trying a different way of driving for one tank full, if the way you are driving carefully isnt giving the desired result i would have thought.

Thats 'Variable Valve Timing', less revs dont always give the best economy with VVT engines IME.

get the revs right for the road speed

& you can get better economy going slightly faster than a slower speed without the engine working efficiantly.

56 mph can in theory be an economic speed for some vehicles,you see plenty drive at that speed,

but others will be happier & more economic at 65 mph for example.

I have never driven a car thats using less fuel at 56mph compared to what it uses at 60mph.

The CVT can be driven fast enough & work better with the engine than lots of other automatics,

but i drive every type of automatic gearbox according to its design & efficency.

Sorry, never ever driven manuals since the 70's due to my disability..

george

Now i am interested in hearing when you actually fill up,

untill then you actually dont know how much fuel you have used!

(you cant go by the gauge.)

if you have 8 litres left it will mean you have bettered 50 mpg.

what iQ is it,

manual or auto & what kind of driving, in town or out of town

& is it only short journeys you do where the car isnt getting a chance to get up to running temp?

I can do more than 265 miles in 1 day & get over 55mpg in a 1.0 auto.

thats using tesco's super unleaded @ £1.31 a litre.

rather than un-leaded @ £1.25 a litre.

http://www.petrolprices.com

Usefull for finding best price locally or on a trip.

george

harrypotter,

i see you quoting my post but making no comment, but why?

Is it to point out the contradiction that i wasnt using the CVT gearbox & engine in the most economic way.

or acheiving the best MPG.

(my second post that you havnt yet quoted says i did 55mpg without really trying

I will explain that.

I am trying the vehicle out with a diffent style of driving for a few tankfulls, its only a few weeks old,

this is to see how it gets the best economy,

my last autos have been diesels & or on LPG & acheived easy economy.

My last CVT was 10 years ago when i had was a Fiat Punto Speegear which liked revved,

& long before that it was a Volvo 343 which didnt,

getting used to the different style of use, which to my mind is just more relaxed driving..

george

Another important point is that the IQ will do around 60 miles once the last fuel light starts flashing. I filled up having had the bar light flashing for around 15 miles and I could only get 26 litres into the tank, so there were 6 litres left to go. That equates to around 60-70miles on 55mpg. This time I am taking a gerry can and letting it run dry to see what the tank will do.

If it will do 350 miles then I have cut my fuel bills by 50% as my Mondeo would do 350 miles on a full tank which cost £70 to fill.

The fuel guage isn't completely accurate. The middle 3 bars represent 30 miles each, whilst 1st and last nearer 80.

I managed 46mpg thrashing the hell out of it thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> out of it on the M1/A1 yesterday from fill up to empty. If anyone saw a dirty white IQ3 blast past from sheffield to sunderland at about 90+ between 9 and 11 and 4.00 and 6.00 it was probably me!

The fuel gauge isnt great I agree....lowest on 1st(ram raid mode) was 78miles and highest was 125miles. Usually around 100 is the norm.

I dont see why 100 miles isnt possible out of the last blob no probs.

The IQ isnt that aerodynamic and as the power required to do 65mph over 55mph is quite alot more and so the consumption really suffers. This is why some diesel crusiers are great at mpg on mways, tall gearing and high levels of torque at low revs really help. Crusing at 90-95 my old diesel AUTO signum would return 50-52mpg all day long where-as the IQ will drop into the mid to high 40s....

If you want to get mega mileage then drive 50-55, dont coast in neutral and just look ahead, its amazign how much you can push the little car round bends even when the idiot light is on and the car is beeping at you that your going to die. It does seem very balanced on the limit with only a tiny bit of lift off oversteer.

Carry as much speed as possible.

Also if your going to be on a road for a while the best way to get the most MPG is accelerate to target speed as quick as possible and then block shift, I find nailing it in 2nd gear and straight to 5th seems to help alot.

As long as I get more than the 25 or so miles to the gallon I get with my Hilux, I'm not too bothered. Mine will be a iQ3 CVT which I pick up next week. Someone said 45 to the gallon on the forum I believe. That's not too bad.

I have just started anew thread regarding the last fuel light. Mine has been flashing for 45 miles and I am running it dry with a gerry can in the boot.

I would give Gerry back his can

& maybe get your own Jerry Can!

Seriously i wouldnt let your tank run dry.

Its maybe a new enough vehicle to have no rubbish floating or sitting at the bottom of the tank,

& there will no doubt be a strainer.

(there is always the chance tho of someting going up the pipe)

But,

it is an injection engine so airblocks arnt a good thing or any fine bits of cr4p getting through,

& you might just find that you dont get the new fuel pumping through without running your Battery down.

This is unlikely, but still not worth causing yourself possible engine

& road safety trouble as an experiment or just to prove a point.

Your engine could die quicker than you expect

& you are left conked out in an awkward position with no power steering on & no assisted brakes working.

Its just downright dangerous i think.

Just my opinion tho.

george