Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member! Need Some Aygo Info!

Victoria1991

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the site, hoping to find some honest opinions and answers concerning the Toyota Aygo!

I currently own a Mini One, which I've found to be awful. Costly, unreliable, the cars cost me nearly £2000 in the last year alone!

Anyway, I'm looking to change my car right about now, and I want something that is cheap to tax, cheap to run, small engine, reliable, and good looking. For me, the Aygo ticks all the boxes. (Im viewing one tomorrow.)

However, I received a message yesterday from a relative warning me not to get one. Reasons being, that its 'lethal on corners', and 'the slightest breeze feels like you'll be blown away'.

So this prompted me to read a few online reviews. The main car sites ie. Top Gear, What Car, Parkers, all rate it very high. Though on smaller review websites that are written by genuine owners rather than professionals, are very mixed.

Some say the Aygo is fantastic (apart from a small boot - which doesn't bother me) and others not so good. The main points being:

*its been costly, brakes need replacing after very few miles.

* clutch is likely to go

*accelerator occasionally gets stuck

*engine very noisy

Have any of you experienced any of this? Or are these people driving their cars badly? With the trouble I've had with my Mini, I really really cannot handle big things going wrong again!!

Also what are the service costs like? Are parts relatively cheap to replace?

Would appreciate any answers, opinions and experiences that you can offer me!

Many thanks,

Victoria :)

Hi Vic

We brought an Aygo last summer and loved it so much we've brought a second. Yes they not going to offer rally performance round corners but then again its an 8 grand car not a 30+k sports car. As for wind, it can move a little in very high winds but nothing to serious.

My Aygo Blue (2010 Reg) has been fine for the last year, with no leaks at the doors or rear lights (a problem which some Aygos have suffered from).

It does sometimes move a bit in strong wind but its not really that much.

Also i haven't experienced any issues with it being "lethal on corners". i think it handles rather well.

The engine noise is louder than some bigger cars with more sound proofing.

Toyota have fixed the sticky accelerator, my dealer also told me that the Manual wasn't affected by this and it was only the MMT version which was affected.

All in all i've found my Aygo to be practical, fun and reliable! Enjoy the test drive tomorrow! :yahoo:

My advice is to test drive the car and see it for yourself. I have no problems in wind. If your hoping for a luxury car you will be disappointed but if you want something cheap then you will enjoy :-)

I've had an Aygo for the last 2.5 years and have never had any problems with it. There was a slight noise that I mentioned to the dealer at the last service and they thought it was the waterpump and replaced it. Actually the waterpump is a problem on some older Aygos, but not an issue on new Aygos.

It is a light car and is reasonably high and narrow, as most cars in this class are, so it is reasonable to expect that it won't corner like a BMW, and you will experience some buffeting in high winds. However, it does handle fine in a straight line and around corners.

Noisewise, it doesn't have alot of sound deadening, so you do hear more road and engine noise, but some car manufacturers, remove the sound deadening from some of their performance models and charge you more for it. You get this for free with the Aygo!

Accelerator was only an issue with automatic models(MMT transmission), not the petrol models.

Brakes discs are reported to be soft and need replacement more often, but mine are still fine after 2.5 years, so how you drive (and brake) is probably a factor in this also.

There are a number of threads on this forum about water leaks, and the problem owners have had trying to get them properly fixed. However, I would think that the majority of Aygos don't leak. However, you should give any car close inspection under drivers mats, in boot, etc. for possible leaks/spillages periodically when cleaning. Again, never had any leaks issues.

There have been some threads on clutch issues, but again these are probably in the minority.

Overall, it has been a very good ownership experience, with good aftersales service from the local dealer. I think there is a 5 year warranty now in the UK for new Toyota models? A good warranty will give you peace of mind on a new car.

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the site, hoping to find some honest opinions and answers concerning the Toyota Aygo!

I currently own a Mini One, which I've found to be awful. Costly, unreliable, the cars cost me nearly £2000 in the last year alone!

Anyway, I'm looking to change my car right about now, and I want something that is cheap to tax, cheap to run, small engine, reliable, and good looking. For me, the Aygo ticks all the boxes. (Im viewing one tomorrow.)

However, I received a message yesterday from a relative warning me not to get one. Reasons being, that its 'lethal on corners', and 'the slightest breeze feels like you'll be blown away'.

Welcome to TOC Victoria.

Has your relative killed anyone going round a corner in an Aygo? No? Well then, !Removed! silly statement! I throw ours around country lanes twice a week and it's great fun and amazing in rhe snow too!

So this prompted me to read a few online reviews. The main car sites ie. Top Gear, What Car, Parkers, all rate it very high. Though on smaller review websites that are written by genuine owners rather than professionals, are very mixed.

Pleas ignore top gear and most professional reviewers, none of them like any Toyota's, go with what you read on here and what you feel after a test drive.

Some say the Aygo is fantastic (apart from a small boot - which doesn't bother me) and others not so good. The main points being:

*its been costly, brakes need replacing after very few miles.

* clutch is likely to go

*accelerator occasionally gets stuck

*engine very noisy

It is a great little cheap car. Cheap to tax, 20 quid, cheap to insure, group 1, cheap on petrol , up to 60mpg depending on how you drive it. Yes it has a tiny boot, but if that doesn't worry you so what!

Clutch goes on any car if you abuse it, as do brakes. The accelerator problem was sorted last year, engine is a 3 cylinder 1 litre engine, if you put your foot down yes it is noisy, but sounds great too!

Hope this helps you a bit...

Thank you very much.

Of course I'm not looking for a high spec, high performance car so I more than understand the handling etc may be slightly poorer than what I used too. However, I live in a town, 0.2 miles from my boyfriends and 5 miles from work and 1 mile from college - So the handling is not really my main concern!

Kevin, you've outlined some very useful points. Thank you. All I wanted to check was that their were no known faults with this car, that may cause me any issues in the near future. In the last year I've had to replace the exhaust, psp and the radiator of my car which you can imagine has been costly! And I'm keen to not have any repeats!

That's everything covered for me I think!

Thank you for all your help!

Will, of course keep you updated on any possible Aygo purchases I may make!

Thanks again! :)

Welcome Victoria.

This may be too late but given that you are coming from a BMW Mini (itself actually a Golf/Astra sized car), I suggest that you also look closely at a Yaris. There is very little difference in running costs compared to an Aygo, but a huge difference in comfort, quietness and space. In addition, with a new model Yaris imminent, you can actually finance a new current model Yaris for less than an Aygo at the moment with the deals they are doing.

There is nothing wrong with an Aygo, but I suspect that after your Mini you may find it excessively small, noisy and bouncy. That's all.

Fun little car Cheap to run, Cheap to tax, Cheap to insure, Double barreled fun with the handling get your self down to a Toyota dealership and test drive one :) i've had mine for 2 years not one problem with it :) passed MOT and services & is my first car, The aygo is a drivers car :) IMO little soundproofing so you can hear the Engine and all the mechanics working so you can get back in touch with the pleasure of driving :) which is what it is all about persoanlly any car i drive, Corsa, Astra, Fiesta, Focus they all the same all wrap you in cotton wool disconnect you from that driving feel and the noises the Aygo puts them back :)

Hope I can help reassure you..

Im coming from a Seat Ibiza 1.6 sport 09 plate into an 11 reg AYGO GO!

I ordered because everything I had heard about the aygo was encouraging and the test drive was really good .

The sales person I was out with really didnt care and said to me just test the car to the max .. I RAGGED it ! Pleasantly surprised though as I really didn't have to.

The new AYGO GO! has had improvements already put in place with the corrected seals and and clutch that were notorious problems. But will see about that when I get it.

I really had no hesitation as it ticked all the boxes to me.

Welcome Victoria.

This may be too late but given that you are coming from a BMW Mini (itself actually a Golf/Astra sized car), I suggest that you also look closely at a Yaris. There is very little difference in running costs compared to an Aygo, but a huge difference in comfort, quietness and space. In addition, with a new model Yaris imminent, you can actually finance a new current model Yaris for less than an Aygo at the moment with the deals they are doing.

There is nothing wrong with an Aygo, but I suspect that after your Mini you may find it excessively small, noisy and bouncy. That's all.

Cant disagree at all but the Aygo has style!

Mine is a 60Reg and the seals have still leaked, so I don't think they have fixed the problem. The car has a 5 year warrenty so ddespite the leak it was all fixed and covered so even if it does go wrong they will fix it for free. The cars feel cheap I agree but if your willing to put up with the cheapness you will save a lot more than a Mini One or Yaris :-)

Yaris was a lot more cash to buy when I looked, are you kidding me. It still has that silly speedo in the middle of the dash.

If buying new/almost new then Yaris and IQ both also woth concidering, build and quality are better than Aygo if price similar.

All cars have thier faults. Mini's should be better than most but premium prices on everything mean when things go wrong the cost is double.

For info, the current Yaris deal puts you in a brand spanking new special edition model (sat-nav, bluetooth, iPod connection, air con, leccy everything, alloys, fogs) for £119 per month and includes 3 years free servicing.

You will not finance an Aygo (any Aygo) for that.

For info, the current Yaris deal puts you in a brand spanking new special edition model (sat-nav, bluetooth, iPod connection, air con, leccy everything, alloys, fogs) for £119 per month and includes 3 years free servicing.

You will not finance an Aygo (any Aygo) for that.

i've not looked, but that sounds like a PCP deal with a large lump 4-5k payment at the end of 3 years... Which is not everyone's cup of tea....

What deposit is that with and what mileage. My aygo has 15k a year set and my payment is 119

Yeah that's definitely pcp .. Doubt 119 I'd probably say 190 more realistic . They aygo go was working out 170 a month of 3 year pcp at 6.9 % apr with approx 1500 deposit and 3500 final balloon payment. I would imagine there's a hefty balloon payment or deposit involved too . Probably around approx 3 k deposit and 5-6 k balloon at least !

Welcome Victoria.

Seriously?? She's coming from a Mini! The Mini has considerably LESS space than an Aygo inside. So the Aygo will be like an upgrade in terms of space. The Mini is NOT a Golf/Astra sized car on any planet whatsoever. It's a MINI. Bouncy? Less bouncy than the Mini which has one of the harshest ride qualities around. The Aygo is more akin to the original Mini than the new Mini is, and that's a good thing. Victoria, go for it - I drive 200+ miles per week in mine and it's brilliant fun. Cheap to run (60mpg last time!) and an absolute hoot to drive. It's fine round corners, ignore any "it's awful around corners" comments. Go for it! Keep us updated :)

The Mini is within a hairs breadth of the size of a Mark IV Golf. Next time you see a Mini parked up take a good look at the size compared to the vehicles either side of it. You will see that I am correct.

The Mini styling is one of the cleverest things about it - the car is actually quite large (and a complete joke compared to the original Mini), but the styling makes the car shrink visually. I agree that inside it is a sort of reverse tardis effect - with a very cramped interior, especially in the rear.

The Mini ride quality is only harsh on the ludicrous 17 and 18 inch wheels with rubber band (run flat) tyres. The versions with 15 and 16 inch wheels ride nicely, and rather better than an Aygo.

There are some similarities between the Aygo and the original Mini - small road area, room for four but a tiny boot, cheap to assemble, cheap on fuel and servicing costs; cheeky looks. The handling is similarly wheel at each corner chuckable, making them fun to drive. A bit like the original Mini too, they are not good motorway cars though (but they will do it), and the BMW Mini would be significantly different in that regard.

Whatever decsion you make, look at plenty of different things and take your time.

The Mini is within a hairs breadth of the size of a Mark IV Golf. Next time you see a Mini parked up take a good look at the size compared to the vehicles either side of it. You will see that I am correct.

The Mini styling is one of the cleverest things about it - the car is actually quite large (and a complete joke compared to the original Mini), but the styling makes the car shrink visually. I agree that inside it is a sort of reverse tardis effect - with a very cramped interior, especially in the rear.

The Mini ride quality is only harsh on the ludicrous 17 and 18 inch wheels with rubber band (run flat) tyres. The versions with 15 and 16 inch wheels ride nicely, and rather better than an Aygo.

There are some similarities between the Aygo and the original Mini - small road area, room for four but a tiny boot, cheap to assemble, cheap on fuel and servicing costs; cheeky looks. The handling is similarly wheel at each corner chuckable, making them fun to drive. A bit like the original Mini too, they are not good motorway cars though (but they will do it), and the BMW Mini would be significantly different in that regard.

Whatever decsion you make, look at plenty of different things and take your time.

Aygo: 3405mm length. MINI: 3698mm length. Golf IV: 4148mm length. Golf VI: 4199mm. Really, that's quite a difference. The MINI is therefore closer in size to the Aygo than the Golf. There's less of a difference between the Golf and cars such as the Fiat Punto Evo and Peugeot 207, which have become severely bloated in recent years. And I also maintain that the Aygo is a perfectly decent motorway car - there are more refined options in the car world, yes, but you'd have to spend considerably more money in the first place. :)

Before I got my Aygo last month I had a Mazda RX-8 which is possibly the best handling car you can buy for sensible money. The Aygo isn't exactly up to that standard and I've not taken it on any country lanes yet, but around town I've found the handling suprisingly good.

Before I got my Aygo last month I had a Mazda RX-8 which is possibly the best handling car you can buy for sensible money. The Aygo isn't exactly up to that standard and I've not taken it on any country lanes yet, but around town I've found the handling suprisingly good.

Neil - I use ours a couple of times a week on country lanes, it's superb!

:thumbsup:

Neil - I use ours a couple of times a week on country lanes, it's superb!

:thumbsup:

Absolutely brilliant fun isn't it. I sometimes find myself purposely coming off the motorway to do the country route for a change because I fancy a bit of fun!

Hi, I changed from a Mini One to an Aygo + MMT. The Mini interior was superb but that was it! The rear seat was useless, alloys hopeless to keep clean, very soft paint, very heavy over-long doors. The list goes on, and despite it being a more basic suspension set up in the Aygo I find it just as comfortable and the seating far superior. The paint finish is excellent and basically it does what it says on the box. If I want more comfort ... at greater expense ... I get out my Rover P6 3500 !

Horses for courses, but my Ago ... and my wife`s 107 have been excellent. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

I used to have a Mini Cooper which I loved but found it expensive to run and repair.

I purchased my Aygo last month and apart from the fact I had a water leak I really love the little car.

The leak has been sorted under the warranty so all is now fine.

As regards it being unstable in high winds I have found it to be so much better than the Suzuki Jimny and Hyundai i10 which both felt unstable when crossing the Severn Bridge. I too had read about this and was concerned but when I recently crossed the Severn Bridge I didn't feel any pulling compared to the Jimny and i10.

I found that the car actually handles very similarly to the Mini apart from the lack of power.

The fuel consumption on my MMT is excellent, I get 400 miles to a tank of petrol whereas the Jimny (automatic) and i10 (automatic) I only ever achieved 250 with the same size tank.

You don't get the same luxuries in the Aygo as I had in my Mini Cooper but my reasons for buying the Aygo was to save money and I haven't been disappointed.