Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Yaris Engine Cut Out Problem

caroline4471

My 54 plate Yaris has an intermittant engine problem. It runs fine for hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles and will then cut out. This usually happens when giving the car a little acceleration - leaving roundabouts or inclines. The orange engine management light has been on for over two years. The garage cannot find the problem and I have had the light switched off a few times. It always comes back on although the car will be running fine. Toyota say it is the fuel management system but cannot seem to thin of a solution. New diesel pump was suggested 20 thousand miles ago but I wasn't convinced so decided not to replace this. Car has now done 125000 mainly problem free miles and has excellent miles to the gallon.

Has anyone else had this problem or can offer some advice please? Caroline

Just a suggestion ,It may want a new fuel filter or try cleaning the EGR valve (or possibly the throttle body there is an egr feed through that) or try checking the mass airflow sensor. Mine cut out sometimes, but more often than hundreds of miles, and it was a break in the wiring from no 1 injector although from what you say i doubt it is any of these but the fuel filter , egr valve and throttle body are cheap easy diy fixes. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My 54 plate Yaris has an intermittant engine problem. It runs fine for hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles and will then cut out. This usually happens when giving the car a little acceleration - leaving roundabouts or inclines. The orange engine management light has been on for over two years. The garage cannot find the problem and I have had the light switched off a few times. It always comes back on although the car will be running fine. Toyota say it is the fuel management system but cannot seem to thin of a solution. New diesel pump was suggested 20 thousand miles ago but I wasn't convinced so decided not to replace this. Car has now done 125000 mainly problem free miles and has excellent miles to the gallon.

hi i have got the same problem with 2006/7 yaris d4d the car runs perfect for many miles then for no reason no acceleration a lot of black smoke no engine management light,if i stop the car and turn engine off it tends to cure itself, this problem only started when toyota did the accelerator pedal mod it has been back to toyota they said it is not related to the pedal mod however they did not find a fault the car is back with toyota next week also i have sent a email to toyota uk,

HI CAROLINE REGARDING YOUR PROBLEM HAD MY YARIS DRD IN TOYOTA TODAY THEY HAVE DONE A FULL DIAGNOSTIC ON ELECTRICS AND THE ENGINE NO FAULTS COULD BE FOUND, THE EGR VALVE WAS TESTED IT WAS OKAY AT LAST THEY HAVE FOUND A PROBLEM THE PIPE THAT TAKES AIR FROM THE INTER COOLER TO TURBO WAS SUCKING ITSELF IN AND RESTRICTING THE AIR FLOW TO THE TURBO THIS WAS CAUSING THE ENGINE TO GO INTO LIMP MODE WHEN THE TURBO REQUIRED BOOST A NEW PIPE HAS BEEN ORDERED BUT JUST MY LUCK OUT OF STOCK SO WILL HAVE TO WAIT A COUPLE OF DAYS, THANKS STUART

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi i have same problem, yaris 2004 d4d. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate. 1,2,3 gears over 3000rpm and cut out on 4 gear. But if i drive gentle, dont give more than 2000rpm its no problem. The check engine light is on. Diagnostic show fault code p1229. Changed fuel filter and SCV valves. Help i dont know what to do more.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have the similar problem on Toyota yaris D4D, 2003, motor "cut off" when I pushed little on the throttle, this happened at the morning almost at the same location. After one to three tries of ingnition, motor start and problem doesn't repeat at the same day. The problem was fuel valve placed before fuel pump which closed and motor shut down, because connector at the valve was little bit oxidized and hasn't contact. "Contact" spray was sprayed in this connector and several disconnections were needed to scratch contacts a little bit, now is ok.

• 1 year later...
On 30/5/2011 at 11:01 AM, bambis said:

Hi i have same problem, yaris 2004 d4d. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate. 1,2,3 gears over 3000rpm and cut out on 4 gear. But if i drive gentle, dont give more than 2000rpm its no problem. The check engine light is on. Diagnostic show fault code p1229. Changed fuel filter and SCV valves. Help i dont know what to do more.

I have the same problem. I tried to change fuel preassure sensor, the scv valve and the rail pressure regulator. But without results... Anyone have solved this?

HELP!!!

On fuel related problems, always ensure the fuel filter is clean. If you have never changed it, do so . BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

3 hours ago, Madasafish said:

On fuel related problems, always ensure the fuel filter is clean. If you have never changed it, do so . BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

I have already changed the fuel filter before change sensor and regulator... I've noticed that the problem is more frequent on hot day and after long travel

I hope found the cause of the problem... On the fuel filter support there are an electric valve. I have get off this and I have found much dirt. I don't understand why toyota have mounted this before the filter.

20160807_114304.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I cant place the part can you give a wider photo of the area?

Ok looking a bit further into this it is a fuel heater designed to warm the fuel when cold so that it can flow through the filter without clogging. The sludge in the heater looks a biological growth that can form in diesel fuel Google "biological growth in diesel fuel" this will be happily growing in your fuel tank with small chunks breaking away and clogging your fuel lines.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

I cant place the part can you give a wider photo of the area?

Is located over the filter support. You can view it into the red circle. I hope the photo that's clear.

2017-01-18 16.23.08.jpg

Its the fuel heater.

• Like 1

@GabryHi, after the very similar problem, I finaly replace the SCV valve more than year ago and now is OK. How I was sure that SCV valve was the problem? I simply "simulate" real fault of the valve and disconnect it (cable to the valve) while running the car, for few days because the pump has already another mechanical backup for too high pressure in the case of valve fault in the open state. I don't recommend you this but this was my emergency exit. I told my local authorized mechanic about the problem before I did this and he recommended me just to add a little of 2 stroke oil into the diesel fuel because the high pressure fuel pump may be worn out and will break soon-maybe he just need some business at that time.  

Try to find out some patterns, did car start immediately at first try after engine cut, what's the air temperature, could be something frozen did something change if the fuel tank is full? Maybe fuel pressure sensor-don't believe or maybe really fuel pump could be the problem, if someone can test pressure on it, you are sure after that. 

• 2 weeks later...

After new problem I have decided to remove the fuel sender from the tank and surprise... The fuel filter is full of dirt 😱😲 Do you know the spare code of the filter?

20170204_161315.jpg

20170204_161333.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/4/2017 at 5:14 PM, Gabry said:

After new problem I have decided to remove the fuel sender from the tank and surprise... The fuel filter is full of dirt 😱😲 Do you know the spare code of the filter?

20170204_161315.jpg

20170204_161333.jpg

Hi Gabry, Did this sort out your stalling problem? I've a yaris doing the same and I've cleaned the fuel pick up which was all gunge. I am going to do the pre heater for the fuel filter today as I'd say it will be manky also.

Hi TheHeff

Yes, after the change of the fuel filter in tank i've solved the stalling problem. After this operation is better check and clean the pre heater on the fuel filter support, and change the fuel filter cartridge.

• Like 1

I've an unusual problem. I bought a 2004 diesel yaris only to find that the head gasket was gone on it. It ran perfectly with the gasket gone but it was blowing out the radiator overflow so I got a replacement engine fitted as it is apparently a better job. Everything bar the injectors were transferred to the new engine. Now when I start the car it hunts for the first 4-5 minutes of operating and then runs smoothly. On top of that it cuts out intermittent after say 10 miles of driving. I have cleaned the fuel pick up, pre heater and changed the fuel filter. The pickup was dirty but the other items were very clean. Does anyone know would the fact that the injectors are not the original ones cause a problem? What does the scv valve look like? (I can't seem to find one specific to the yaris diesel on internet)

2 hours ago, TheHeff said:

I've an unusual problem. I bought a 2004 diesel yaris only to find that the head gasket was gone on it. It ran perfectly with the gasket gone but it was blowing out the radiator overflow so I got a replacement engine fitted as it is apparently a better job. Everything bar the injectors were transferred to the new engine. Now when I start the car it hunts for the first 4-5 minutes of operating and then runs smoothly. On top of that it cuts out intermittent after say 10 miles of driving. I have cleaned the fuel pick up, pre heater and changed the fuel filter. The pickup was dirty but the other items were very clean. Does anyone know would the fact that the injectors are not the original ones cause a problem? What does the scv valve look like? (I can't seem to find one specific to the yaris diesel on internet)

It can do if the injector codes are not written into the engine ECU, each injector has an alpha numeric code which the ECU needs in order to operate them correctly

• Like 1

Have you checked the glow plugs are working?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 5:14 PM, Gabry said:

The codes certainly weren't put in for the injectors as it was a local chap that did all the work. I presume it's a dealer job to put those codes in? There is 4 new glow plugs gone into it - defo working.

Hi Folks - does anyone know the name of the part pictured below? It is attached to the fuel pump.By disconnecting it my car no longer cuts out and runs smoothly but when it is re connected the car will cut out after less than a mile. If I keep driving with it plugged out will it do any harm?

20170605_124342.jpg

20170605_124345.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links