Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Tyres

Cyker

The stock Firestone Multihawks on my Yaris are dropping past the 3mm mark so I'm in the market for some new tyres.

The stock tyres are okay and don't mind me running my higher pressures, but they suck donkey !Removed! on anything other than dry flat tarmac and are especially bad in the wet and on loose surfaces.

Supposedly the Continental Eco Contact 3 is good in the wet, but not sure how they handle generally and I'm not sure what they're like with higher tyre pressures (The other reason I run higher pressures is because I'm often carting around heavy things and people and got fed up of inflating/deflating the tyres all the time), and how they compare with 'normal' tyres, having never driven a hard-compound low-resistance tyre before.

What are the rest of you using, and how're you finding them?

Interestingly, Toyota don't recommend any higher pressures for full loads.

They only recommend higher pressures if you're consistently running above 100 mph in your Yaris.... :-)

Where did you get the idea that Yaris needs higher pressures for full loads and where were those pressures published?

I don't think you can go wrong with Continentals of any particular model. They always get in the top 3 of any tyre test.

If you look on mytyres, there are road test results against each of the tyres they sell....

Also autoexpress and autocar have done group tyre tests that you should be able to find online.

I've had two sets of Continental Sportcontact 3 on my A3 and they have been really good - although I think they are soft compound as I'm lucky to get 20,000 miles a set and the fuel economy is not as good as others who run more fuel efficient rubber...

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I've been through a few review sites (Annoyingly the highest rated tyres are usually ones that I can't source!), but I'm also interested in what me fellow Yaris owners are finding vs. some site that tests them on a nicely balanced car that isn't prone to understeer :lol:

The higher pressures thing is mainly common sense - At standard pressures, the tyres look slightly deflated if I load up the car, ergo hgher pressures are needed to reduce the deformation. (I coulda sworn the docs mentioned it too but I will have to dig out the rest of the manual to confirm :lol:)

It's generally safer to err on the side of higher pressures over lower ones anyway, 'tho with the notable exception of snow driving :lol:

Conti's seem quite popular with Yaris people; Still currently leaning to the EcoContact3's :)

What do you guys think of other makes; Pirelli, Michellin, Fire/Bridgestone, Goodyear, Avon etc.?

Yariseses used to come with Yokohamas, I think they're an excellent tyre.

My Yaris came with Yokohama E70B on the back and Pirelli P6000. They work well enough although the Pirellis seem a bit dodgy in the wet (steering pulls around slightly on uneven roads in the rain). I'll probably need new tyres this year and they won't be P6000s.

I bought Michelin Energy last year. Coped well in ice. and snow. Not noisy and good grip. Fuel consumption is slightly better - but that may be down to a adapting my style to reduce usage...

They are gripped well in mud when I tried to park on a verge on Sunday - 200mm of mud. Reversed out easily. Not cheap. I bought 4 to get a 25% discount.

Nice :)

Don't have enough call to drive on ice and snow but it'd be nice to know that it'll work if I do, but only if the tyre is good in normal dry conditions too!

One concern I have with the Contis is that, although they're apparently very good on wet or dry roads, not sure how well these 'Eco' tyres work in snow/mud/wet grass. I'd hope it's better than these Firestones tho' (Once, when I was at the Farnborough air show, I got the Yaris into a small 4 wheel slide from 20 mph on the muddy wet grass just by turning! :eek::lol: )

I got the Yaris into a small 4 wheel slide from 20 mph on the muddy wet grass just by turning! )

I once drove onto a muddy field in a BMW 320i. Big mistake... Tractors pull anything out...

car has been in for a service and mot today (3 years old and 15,800 miles on the clock) luckily its still in warranty as the bearings are slightly going on the front suspension. so they are gonna replace them. they also said i will prob need some new front tyres in 5000 miles or so. which for me is almost a years driving.

i remember reading old posts on this board about ppl complaining about yokahama tyres (i have these on) and about how they dont last 2 mins. b4 this yaris i owned a 2002 model from new and i dont think it ever had new tyres upto when i sold it at 32,000 miles. so whats up with modern day tyres. do they all last 5 mins? or do toyota use poor tyres knowing they will make money out of getting them changed. had a quick look on kwickfit/AA and the tryes seem quite expensive. toyota quote me around £44 full fitted for each tyre. cheaper then quick fit and the AA. is this price the norm? can anyone recomend a certain tyre that will last longer.

Quote from my local Toyota for 4 ContiEcoContact3's was £225 for fitting and balancing, +£50 if I wanted a full alignment done too.

Not too bad!

They were recommending Bridgestones but I haven't heard as much stuff about Bridgestones on Yarisesesses so far...

car has been in for a service and mot today (3 years old and 15,800 miles on the clock) luckily its still in warranty as the bearings are slightly going on the front suspension. so they are gonna replace them. they also said i will prob need some new front tyres in 5000 miles or so. which for me is almost a years driving.

i remember reading old posts on this board about ppl complaining about yokahama tyres (i have these on) and about how they dont last 2 mins. b4 this yaris i owned a 2002 model from new and i dont think it ever had new tyres upto when i sold it at 32,000 miles. so whats up with modern day tyres. do they all last 5 mins? or do toyota use poor tyres knowing they will make money out of getting them changed. had a quick look on kwickfit/AA and the tryes seem quite expensive. toyota quote me around £44 full fitted for each tyre. cheaper then quick fit and the AA. is this price the norm? can anyone recomend a certain tyre that will last longer.

1. Yokohamas aren't poor tyres.

2. Most people don't get tyres from the dealer, Toyota don't fit certain tyres with the intention of making money from replacements.

2. Most people don't get tyres from the dealer, Toyota don't fit certain tyres with the intention of making money from replacements.

My Yaris has done less than 12,000 miles in 3 years and the YOKOHAMAS are nearly worn out. I do not drive fast or hard, Ithink modern tyres are softer than they used to be.

Which Magazine did a recent tyre test. Their top tyres included Michelin Energy and Conti EcoContact 3. I speak from memory - and can't remember the third of their top three pick...

My Yaris has done less than 12,000 miles in 3 years and the YOKOHAMAS are nearly worn out. I do not drive fast or hard, Ithink modern tyres are softer than they used to be.

I kept my 07 Yaris for two years, bought it brand new and it came with Yokohamas. When I got rid of it the tyres were still at 5-6mm tread...

BTW, do any of you know if any of these tyres have kerbing guards?

A question for the more experienced owners of cars in general: it is likely that I shall need to replace my Yaris's tyres at some point this year, as they are all getting to the 2-3mm wear level. Are there better times or months in the year for buying and fitting tyres (i.e. when they are cheaper)?

I notice that tyre prices seem to have risen a fair bit since December.

That's mainly because of the VAT increase, although some people are using the opportunity to jack their prices up even more and blame it on the VAT!

The legal limit is 1.6mm but I think it's better to replace them at 2-3mm. The Yaris is prone to understeer as it is; I imagine it'd be like driving on ice at 1.6mm tread in the wet! :lol:

Average prices seem about £230 for 4 Continental EcoContact3's and £260 for 4 Michellin EnergySavers or Bridgestone B250's.

The way inflation is running on rubber , oil etc, I would buy tyres in a block of four asap.. certainly before summer...

As I think I mentioned before, I bought 4 Michelins at 25% off for 4... last June. Prices have risen . I bought mine from ATS for under £250 fitted including balancing AND tracking.. They are now £400 - before any discounts... and tracking..:-(

Blimey, were you getting the H-grade tyres?! They're the only ones that come close to that price!

Not sure what the difference is other than the speed rating and the 2x price difference... :eek: I think I'll stick with the T-grade ones seeing as my Yaris can't actually go fast enough to warrant the H-speed rating tyres anyway :lol:

The prices I quoted above were for 4 tyres, fitted and balanced.. not each..

Rubber prices are rising again and article in today's Daily telegraph suggests Michelin/Conti are talking 17% price increases...

Well the Conti's I'm getting were £225 for 4, fitted and balanced, so the tyres you got must have been, like, over £80 each! :eek::unsure:

I've only seen H-rated tyres (Rated for 130mph max sustained speed) in that price range, vs. the T-rated ones which are roughly 2/3 to half that (But only rated up to 118mph, but I don't think I'll be going that fast in mine ever! :lol:)

(I was gonna get the tracking done too but Toyota wanted £95!! :eek: Talk about pricing yourself out of the market! ProTyre do full laser alignment for less than half that!)

Quote from Cyker

" At standard pressures, the tyres look slightly deflated if I load up the car, ergo hgher pressures are needed to reduce the deformation. "

Cyker, that is how they are supposed to look.

Its a Radial Tyre. The side walls are designed to put the whole tread on the ground.

So dont over inflate your tyres. Without checking I think they are 32psi or 2.2bar.

On my 54 plate Diesel the tyres lasted 48000 miles.

Changed all 4 total cost £180 fitted & balanced. Local tyre guy working out of a barn.

Sold the car with them still on @ 82,000 miles.Still good.

For good prices try Pro tyre search for your location.

http://www.protyre.co.uk/outletsdesc.aspx?id=11054

Also remember, that tyres feel and give best when they are warm,not cold.

R

Wee! Got mah new tread! :yahoo:

Feels fairly similar to the old rubber in terms of straight-line roll, acceleration etc, but already feels much nicer when cornering and much more confident when cornering over loose surfaces (i.e. the huge amount of pothole spoil that's all over the place! :censor: )

Be interesting to feel the difference in the wet!

Sidewalls are much harder than on the Multihawks and, at stock pressures, there is much less sidewall bulge than the Multihawks had at 35psi.

Will see how this affects the fuel economy over a few tanks, then maybe try upping the pressures again to see if it makes any difference :)

Given how similar these feel to the Multihawks on higher pressures I suspect gains will be small tho'!

Very nice tyres! :)