Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Opinions On New Avensis

Berti

I have had from new an Avensis 2.0 D-4D T3x Tourer - 07 plate. It is the first car I've kept for over 3 years for a long time because it has been reliable, comfortable, and economic. After 31k I still love it!

Having been told recently that I need a left knee replacement I've decided that perhaps it is time to change to an automatic and I have been looking at the new Avensis.

Throwing Auto Transmission into the mix complicates matters as it simply limits your options. Basically, I can have either a 1.8 Petrol vvt CVT Auto or a 2.2 Deisel D-cat. Auto. Frankly, whilst I have grown to love a 2.0 deisel - as I only do 9k miles a year it seems mad to go for the 2.2 Deisel as it is much more expensive than the equiv. spec 1.8 petrol model and it doesn't do any better on mpg. Also the CO2 emissions are worse on the 2.2 Deisel. Another worry is that deisels now com with DP Filters and I'm learning that it appears that if you do a fair amount of short run city driving these can become blocked with horrendous associated costs to rectify. Unfortunately, whilst we do go off for long motorway trips from time to time, much of our motoring is around town on short trips in between.

I would welcome any observations from members who are running the New Avensis, especially about how the 1.8 petrol model performs in terms of available power and mpg. If anyone is in the position of being able to draw comparisons between the new model and the previous one such as I still drive then also great to have the benefit of such experience.

Any experiences re. running newer deisel models with DPF welcome also.

As I am a committed Toyota fan I naturally would prefer to change to a Toyota. Pity therefore that the plastics in the new model look a bit tacky to me (compared with my model - just a matter of taste I suppose) and also - to get anywhere near the spec of my T3x I'll need to stretch to a T4 probably!

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Bertie

A

I went from a manual 2.0 t-spirit avensis to a gen2 Prius, now have a gen3 Prius both the t-spirit.

Pretty much the same size as an Avensis, 1.8 petrol plus the electric hybrid, automatic in as much as it's cvt like..

Good on runs and in town.... Why not have a look and test drive one...

I have a March 2009 2 litre Avensis Tourer as a company car, it's now done 77,000 miles.

I don't know if I have been unluck with this car.

It's a great car, economical (average 55mpg) and comfortable but after events of the last few weeks, I would NEVER consider buying one because:

At 68,000 miles, one of the electronic parking brake actuators failed, the car was just outside the warranty, the cost of the actuator was £675 plus 2.1/2 hours to fit, plus VAT = £1,000

At 75,000 miles, it had a new clutch fitted (approx £600), I put this down to the self releasing parking brake, when you start with the parking brake on, the engine is momentarily fighting the parking brake through the clutch (my rear pads needed replacing at 33,000 miles)

In my opinion, the Avensis is a great car if somebody else (like the leasing company in my case) is picking up the repair costs. In fact, I would never consider buying a car with an electronic parking brake, in my opinion, an expensive solution to a non existant problem that is costly to repair when it goes wrong.

I had a 2.0 D-4D T-Spirit on an '04 plate as a company car, loved it so much I bought it off the company at the end of the three year lease, however, at 50k miles / 6 years it started to get expensive to keep on the road so we looked at a new Avensis but ended up buying an Auris HSD. The HSD cabin is very similar in size to the Avensis although the boot is a bit of a matchbox (and I do miss the size of the Avensis boot)!

That said, as Jan&tone suggests, have a try of either the HSD or the Prius as the drive is wonderful and very relaxing. Compare it to a new auto Avensis - you may even decide to come across to the dark side!

All the best, D.

I would welcome any observations from members who are running the New Avensis, especially about how the 1.8 petrol model performs in terms of available power and mpg. If anyone is in the position of being able to draw comparisons between the new model and the previous one such as I still drive then also great to have the benefit of such experience.

I have a three month old Avensis 1.8 manual T4 Tourer. Prior to this car I wouldn't have considered anything less than 2.0 for a car this size, but I am pleasantly surprised at how the 1.8 copes. I would say it feels nippier than my old first generation Avensis 2.0 hatchback, although that was a couple of cars back so it might be all in my mind. I've had five reasonably sized adults in it and it didn't seem to struggle.

I did test drive the automatic and had no problems with it, but I like a manual so went for that. I get a typical 35 mpg on my day to day drive which is 10 miles through light urban traffic - not all stop start, but not fast. Last week I had to go 38 miles to a different work site and I got 48.8 cruising at 60-65ish (a very flat route). All figures from the on-board computer, but the 35 mpg seems to tie in with what I generally spend on petrol!

Thanks guys for the replies so far - very helpful.

I have looked at the Prius in the showroom but always hadn the feeling that it was akin to the Focus/Astra in size. I will have a closer look!

Interesing to hear the experience of a 1.8 petrol Avensis driver also.

Many thanks!

Bertie

... experience of a 1.8 petrol Avensis driver also.

OK, here's another one.

I've owned Mercedes', BMW 3xx and 5xx series, and I must say the Avensis is not at all bad in comparison.

It's very quiet, comfortable, drives well, has a large cabin space and a huge boot.

It's also reasonably economical, given its size and weight.

It's not a sports cars, but if I wanted one I would have bought one.

The electronic parking brake is..... well, partly electronic.

Mine makes a mechanical noise as if something is going to snap soon, and it is going to be replaced when the dealer cleared his backlog with all these recalls.

I think I'll wait until spring.

I was informed that it's a >5 hour job. :(

Oh, and one of my neighbors owns a Prius, and it's smaller.

Nice car though, as long as you don't need to tow anything.

That's not allowed.!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links