Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Half Or Fully Syntetic Oil?

Rafal

Hi

I am looking for an information which type of oil is the one I should use.

Car: 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi, engine ZZ1FE

I find that recommended oil type is 5W30. But then I find that there is either half syntetic or fully syntetic 5W30 that you can buy.

I would be grateful if anyone could point which one is the right one.

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for an information which type of oil is the one I should use.

Car: 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi, engine ZZ1FE

I find that recommended oil type is 5W30. But then I find that there is either half syntetic or fully syntetic 5W30 that you can buy.

I would be grateful if anyone could point which one is the right one.

Thanks

i would suggest the fully synthetic,as semi could mean anything 50% 40% or even 10%.they naver state the percentage.

I have run my 2002, 1800 vvti on 5w/30 semi synthetic for several years now. I change the oil at 6000ml intervals & do not have to add any between changes. It comes out as clean as it goes in. Fully synthetic is expensive & it is likely that your car may burn a little oil. It's up to you but I am fully confident running mine on semi synthetic. Change the filter every time!

you might want to check in Asda - last week they were selling 1l of Catrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1/B1 fully synth for £3.

Thank you guys

All I want to make sure is that I won't damage my engine but putting wrong oil in. If 5W30 semi syntetic is one of the oils recommended for that engine I am more than happy to go for it.

Thank you guys

All I want to make sure is that I won't damage my engine but putting wrong oil in. If 5W30 semi syntetic is one of the oils recommended for that engine I am more than happy to go for it.

Yes it's fine it is but go for a decent brand like Mobil, Castrol or Millers XXS.

Pete.

I'd normally recommend to put in whatever Toyota would put in. Toyota oil is 5w30 semi synthetic.

though a dealer may sell toyota packaged oil, it does not mean that is the oil they use for servicing in their workshop.

my dealer was using Castrol,but have now changed to Mobil.both being fully synthetic.

they can use any brand they like, as long as the oil meeets toyota spec.

toyta brand oils are not made by toyota anyway,

toyota will buy where the get the best deal from,so they will change suppliers of their oil products fairley often.

some dealers just sell 5w 40,instead of the 5w 30.

some prius models use 0w 20.

I'd normally recommend to put in whatever Toyota would put in. Toyota oil is 5w30 semi synthetic.

though a dealer may sell toyota packaged oil, it does not mean that is the oil they use for servicing in their workshop.

my dealer was using Castrol,but have now changed to Mobil.both being fully synthetic.

toyota will buy where the get the best deal from,so they will change suppliers of their oil products fairley often.

Well said mate :thumbsup:

The manual says 5w30 is recommended, and that is what I get from Toyota when I buy oil.

And of course Toyota don't manufacture oil, i thought that was obvious.

Further to my previous post. Get a good branded oil. It need not be the most expensive & what is available from motor stores, so long as the specification is correct, then it will be OK. Very cheap oil like Tesco, Asda etc may reach the specs. but does deteriorate quicker & you do not know who the supplier is. Have you ever seen the Tesco or ASDA oil wells?

Of course Toyota don't make oil, but just like Asda and Tesco, they buy it from whoever has the best deal

For a long time the Toyota pack oils were made by Esso. I noticed on a barrell of 0w 30 we ordered the other day it had an Exxon label on it, they probably agree to buy x number of litres at a certain price and change to whoever has the best deal on the day

Kingo :thumbsup:

The manual says 5w30 is recommended, and that is what I get from Toyota when I buy oil.

And of course Toyota don't manufacture oil, i thought that was obvious.

must have misread,thought you said whatever toyota put in,you mean at the factory,cos your dealer will most likly be using another brand of the correct spec.

they also recommend 0w 20 in my handbook for best economy,

I would go for fully syntetic 5w30 you can get it here cheap.

you can get Mobil 5w 30 esp 0n eBay cheaper than that.

3 things I will not skimp on, 1/ Engine Oil, 2/ Brake, 3/ Tyres. buy the best

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links