Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Had Car Rolling Roaded

ses6jwg

Hi all.

I stuck my T Sport on the rolling road today. Apart from a K&N Typhoon Induction kit it is standard performance wise.

It product 144bhp + 105lbft @ the wheels.

Does seem slightly low but nothing to raise eyebrows. The graph is smooth apart obviously from the big jump in power at 6k rpm.

However it did reveal another problem with the car.

I have noticed over recent weeks that when left to idle the car is producing white smoke, and it has a distinct petrol smell to it.

The car is not burning oil.

However on the rolling road today it was absolutely stinking of fuel when it was revved, and as it hit the limiter a puff of black smoke popped out like on my old diesel.

I spoke to the guy running it and he said nothing looked out of the ordinary, apart from there is a big lump of overfuelling going on at 2k rpm for some reason, which would explain the "*****" as you hit his part of the power band.

The guys running the road advised that I should get my CAT checked out, as they thought it could be coming to the end of its life and causing the overfuelling.

Does anyone have any ideaS?

Wow that is low, mine was dynoed at 195bhp an 155lbs of torque im only running a sports air filter and custom backbox.

As for the cat a emissions test would highlight this also have the ecu red for any error codes.

Wow that is low, mine was dynoed at 195bhp an 155lbs of torque im only running a sports air filter and custom backbox.

As for the cat a emissions test would highlight this also have the ecu red for any error codes.

This was at the wheels not the fly.

i was all ready to write a reply to the effect that power output is very low blah blah however i saved myself som embarassment by re-reading to note that power is at the wheels hehe!

Yeah that sounds like alot to me aswell what is the fly figure??

does anyone have any ideas what could cause this overfuelling?

Is perhaps the connection on my MAF not very good with the typhoon?

I wouldn't be surprised if the MAF is fouled from the K and N oil. However this usually causes a lean condition and not rich.

thats about right 144 think auto data quotes it at 142 bhp at the fly. it may be the induction kit doing it, i finally managed to get my car on the diagnostics scanner today, cleared all the previous DTC's and cleared the emissions DTC's, took the car for a spin running extended live data, all was well or so i thought not having any eml lights or any feeling something was up.

looked through the data and a few surprising things came up

i looked through the permanent codes and there was nothing, looked in the tempory codes and got loads of codes up and it was only a ten minute drive!

these were

p0104 maf sensor circuit intermittent

p0108 map sensor/ barometric pressure sensor high output

p0109 intake air temp sensor circuit malfunction

they poped up several times, after a conflab and testing all the sensors the only conclusion was that it was the induction kit doing it as thats all ive got fitted! drawing in to much air (35+L/s) messing with the signals being sent from the sensors, its not doing the car any harm as the eml light would have come on

its not unusual for a car to over-fuel at high revs especially on over-run though so you may have nothing to worry about

if you've got 142PS at the flywheel there is something wrong.

I would expect somewhere between 180 and 200 at the flywheel and probably 15PS-20PS less at the wheels.

Still low for the atw figure.

If you have 187 at the fly I would expect to see 160/165 atw.

what mileage are you on? when were they last changed?

get your car on an emissions tester and have a look to see if there is a lot of hc (hydrocarbons- unburnt fuel) in the gases if there is then your cat MAY be on its way out

as for losing 40 odd bhp from the engine to the wheels its about right, its a six speed box with a lot a mechanical drag, the flywheel is quite heavy etc etc if anything your 2bhp over whats stated :thumbsup:

Hmmm not according to alot of the dyne results I've seen on here. I'd be gutted with that result to be fair.

There was a guy there who had a Celica TSport who said he was not surprised by the results and said when he went on a rolling road day with some friends with Celicas the most the standard ones pulled at the wheels was 150bhp.

The dyno tester also said that apart from the bit of overfuelling it had pulled pretty much spot on what every other t sport had ever pulled on that dyno.

also remember dynos have to be calibrated if there not they may give incorrect readings. my mate has went to 2 diffrent rolling roads. one after the engine was set up then another one couple months later with a forum and both dynos showed diffrent results

Spark plugs will not cause overfueling.

Over-fueling is due to either too much fuel or not enough air.

Considering the fault codes all relate to air-intake issues maybe the ECU is trying it's hardest to tell you where to look. :bangin:

onsidering the fault codes all relate to air-intake issues maybe the ECU is trying it's hardest to tell you where to look.

not the same car mate, those fault codes were tempory codes on my t sport, which is not overfueling lol :bangin: nothing up with it, its just being fussy they just get recoreded as there close to the safe parameters of the ecus map probably otherwise it would bring the eml light on

I have a problem with over fuelling also. You can look at a previous thread of mine. Only mod is a K & N panel filter. Changed the pre cat O2 sensor today so waiting for a couple of runs to see does the code flash up again. If it does Ill take out the K&N and clean the AFM to see does that do anything. I guess new AFM after that. My code is PO172.

Ill let you know how I get on.

could be the maf sensor, or you may have an air leak some where or a fuel pressure problem, could even be the coolant temp sensor.

hope it helps

Right well I put it on an MOT emissions tester today and the result was:

Perfect. Well within all parameters.

However, symptoms are still that it stinks of fuel out the bank end, and white smoke on IDLE, black smoke on LIFT.

So I am a little bit foxed.

I think I will check the TYPHOON, as my wiring on the MAF extension may not be making the best connections, I might also try using a smaller gauge wire.

I'll also check all the connections are tight and there is no air leak anywhere.

I have noticed that the coolant is dropping slightly - could be related?

I think I will check the TYPHOON, as my wiring on the MAF extension may not be making the best connections, I might also try using a smaller gauge wire.

you need to use the exact same gauge wire mate, if you used a smaller cable it may increase electrical resistance and the maf might not receive or send the correct signal