Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vsc And Egr Valve Flow

GordonD

Hi All,

I have a 07 Toyota Avensis 2.0 Estate (64k miles), Today the VSC and MIL came on and im guessing it is in Limp mode.

Trouble code reads P0400 - EGR Valve Flow.

(Don't know what that has got to do with VSC)

So reading the posts, It looks like the EGR valve needs a clean.

Is there any gotcha's to the removal? eg things to watch for or snag. special tools?

(I'd class myself as competent amateur, I've tackled brakes, strut mounts, wishbones, CV boots, fuel lines in the past)

If I'm going to the hassle of removing it, why not replace the valve?

If so what would I expect to pay for a new valve?

The car was bought from a 2 bit dealer in December, so still has the warranty but Its a hassle getting the car there due to its location (means time off work), and I'm not sure I trust them, which isn't a good start.

Sorry to ask so many questions. If I do tackle it, I promise to document the work and the result here :-)

Thanks,

Gordon

Gordon, usually VSC should not come up with EGR valve, and if it does, then it means your ECU need updating.

Thats what I read on this forum.

For Egr valve, no point of buying new, just clean it, will take 1-2 hours. Search the forum how to do it.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Sam,

Gaskets ordered, job for Thursday :)

I'll sort the EGR and clear the P0400 code. See where that gets me.

Just coincidence that VSC light came on at the same time, and no Trouble code odd. I noticed in other posts that EGR and VSC are linked, but must of missed on that suggests an update.

I notice that there are some techniques for resetting the VSC without the update, I'll try that before forking out for the update, unless its worth it?

Thanks

Gordon

Had a gander under the engine cover today.

The EGR Valve, position and sequence is exactly as :-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114971

even thought the block is different, if anything the Avensis is slightly easier as it does not have the loom tray over the pipe going to the EGR Valve.

£7 for gaskets from dealer

Regards, Gordon

my 06 avensis had VSC & TCR off lights on when the EGR valve went - diagnosed & repaired by Toyota. The reason: As I understand it the VSC needs to trigger the EGR to reduce engine power if the car gets a bit loose. TCR triggers the brakes to arrest wheel spin.

my 06 avensis had VSC & TCR off lights on when the EGR valve went - diagnosed & repaired by Toyota. The reason: As I understand it the VSC needs to trigger the EGR to reduce engine power if the car gets a bit loose. TCR triggers the brakes to arrest wheel spin.

That sort of makes sense, Surprised that the EGR would affect the performance that much and that quickly. Oh hum :)

Thanks for your reply.

Gordon

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114971

even thought the block is different, if anything the Avensis is slightly easier as it does not have the loom tray over the pipe going to the EGR Valve.

Regards, Gordon

So I decided not to wait for the gaskets as from what I read nobody changes them, I understand why as they are the thin reusable type, I ensured they were clean.

I posted the wrong link before, the sequence is exactly as Rick D4D's post :-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241&hl=%20caveman_si%20%20egr&st=0

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

I did get the manifold as clean as the valve, just forgot to take the photo...

Took about 45min, but that was down to me being a bit OCD about getting it clean.

Cleared the Trouble code using a ELM327 clone from eBay and wOBD 1.5 (obd2crazy)

Everything is now dandy :)

I'm new to Toyota's, Is there anything else that I should be keeping an eye on top of the service schedule items?

Thanks,

Gordon

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=114971

Regards, Gordon

So I decided not to wait for the gaskets as from what I read nobody changes them, I understand why as they are the thin reusable type, I ensured they were clean.

I posted the wrong link before, the sequence is exactly as Rick D4D's post :-

http://www.toyotaown...i%20%20egr&st=0

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

I did get the manifold as clean as the valve, just forgot to take the photo...

Took about 45min, but that was down to me being a bit OCD about getting it clean.

Cleared the Trouble code using a ELM327 clone from eBay and wOBD 1.5 (obd2crazy)

Everything is now dandy :)

I'm new to Toyota's, Is there anything else that I should be keeping an eye on top of the service schedule items?

Thanks,

Gordon

Nice one mate, good job well done, just use decent fuel with a dose of Forte diesel additive every now and then along with a good thrashing :o with the engine under load every now and then if you are a steady driver normally to clear the crap out. ;)

Regards Pete.