Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Problem

cristof

Hi to all - I have a 1995 Carina E GLi 1998cc which I really like but it has just failed its MOT due to power steering fluid leak - which I knew about last MOT and have since just been topping it up because I couldn't afford to replace the rack - unfortunately it has failed this time and was advised to replace the rack altogether - which again I can't afford right now, and I'm thinking of having a go myself. Very ambitious as I have never done a job like this and anyone I mention it to says don't bother - it's too big a job - especially for someone with so little knowledge. Sad thing is I want to keep the car and know it will last a good many years more! I've registered it off-road for now while I decide what to do, sell it, scrap it or take a deep breath and (attempt!) to sort it out.

So - what would you advise - is it really worth trying - I haven't repaired cars since my teens ( in the late 70's) when cars seemed simpler and more basic!

I presume I could buy a reasonably priced reconditioned rack but if my garage do it there is labour and VAT added of course, bumping up the price considerably. Can I do it - any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks Christof

Of course you can do it! Get yourself a haynes manual. Is it the 3SGE engine? Whereabouts are you located? You will need to remove the front subframe which may seem a bit daunting but it's not that bad really. You will need a breaker bar or something like a 12v impact gun from machine mart to get the bolts undone.

Give yourself plenty of time to do each individual task and you'll have it done. Any probs just ask Good luck. :thumbsup:

By the way how much would you want if you sold it as is?

Of course you can do it! Get yourself a haynes manual. Is it the 3SGE engine? Whereabouts are you located? You will need to remove the front subframe which may seem a bit daunting but it's not that bad really. You will need a breaker bar or something like a 12v impact gun from machine mart to get the bolts undone.

Give yourself plenty of time to do each individual task and you'll have it done. Any probs just ask Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hi sorry for delay in responding - thanks for the advice -it all sounds way beyond me - I do have a Haynes manual but think they are a bit useless and non- user friendly!

You can make me an offer if you like as I have no idea - my number is 01376 561405 if you would like more info and my location is Essex Cheers Chris

That was some hard words about Hayne's manual. In some ways I can agree with you that the modern Hayne's manuals are not as good as the old ones. But I still think it is pretty good, or at least better than nothing.

I would recomend you to try to repair the car by yourself. It is not that difficult. Are you sure it is not only the hoses to the powersteering assembly that is leaking.

That was some hard words about Hayne's manual. In some ways I can agree with you that the modern Hayne's manuals are not as good as the old ones. But I still think it is pretty good, or at least better than nothing.

I would recomend you to try to repair the car by yourself. It is not that difficult. Are you sure it is not only the hoses to the powersteering assembly that is leaking.

Sorry for slow response have been away - don't know answer to question re hoses leaking - I've not actually looked at it myself, just relying on info from mechanic who failed the MOT. I think all things considered I'll probably sell it - do you know anyone who might be interested ?

Wasn't Trev in Cumbria interested to buy it? He did ask for the price. I am not interested, because I don't live in UK.

Hi sorry for delay in responding - thanks for the advice -it all sounds way beyond me - I do have a Haynes manual but think they are a bit useless and non- user friendly!

You can make me an offer if you like as I have no idea - my number is 01376 561405 if you would like more info and my location is Essex Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, i did'nt realise you were in essex. A bit far for me to travel so it's not for me i'm afraid but thanks anyway.

Hi Trev - don't know if you are still interested, I've decided to sell for a variety of reasons, mainly for economic reasons - so £250 would be good! Would be sorry to see it go though and if I had the money would definitely fix it - but times are tough alas.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links