Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Off Center After Service

deej78

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 2 year old Auris that went in for a service. It had it's tracking done and now the steering wheel is almost 20 degrees to the right when driving in a straight line. The garage that did it say they are so booked up that they cant see it for another 2 weeks (I just dont think they can be bothered). I was wondering how easy it would be to do myself? I am pretty competent when It comes to maintenance/mechanics, I'm not scared of doing it myself but just need to know, can I rectify this by removing the steering wheel and putting it back on correctly or does it not work like that? I have done some searches on Google on how to remove the steering wheel but nothing is coming up and the best hit wont load.. my only reservation, if this way is possible, is the airbag unit, I dont want the light coming on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

The light coming on is the least of your problems.

You will have to disconnect the power to it before even touching the unit, and even then they have residual charge in them which could injure you, or cost you a lot of money.

If the car drives straight then book it into the dealer and let them put it right. A small annoyance is better than a big bill!

It's very simple (look at cruise control topic) 2 screws and the airbag is of - you don't have to disconnect it - cable lenght will be enough. Then there is only one nut to unscrew and the steering wheel is of.

Sorry for bad english

The of centre wheel is probably because the tracking is not correct. In simple terms the tie rods lengths need adjusting.

If you drive on a straight level road does the car run true ? If it does altering tracking equally (lenghtning one side, shortening the other will "turn" the front wheels without the steering wheel altering. In other words it sets the road wheel position in relation to the steering wheel. I think that's what needs to be done but it's hardly a DIY job as the angles have to be very exact to minimise tyre wear and for the handling to be correct. A four wheel laser alignment check is best.

Removing the steering wheel is definitely NOT the answer.

Was this a main dealer who did the work ? and why ? Was the tracking obviously wrong. Don't be fobbed off, complain loudly.