Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow Bar Recommendations

philip5660

Hello all,

Having just purchased a 2004 Rav4 5 door for my wife I wish to add a towbar so that I can also make use of it.

I have searched the web and forums and while I have found alot of information I am still a bit lost. So based on the following requirements can someone recommend a towbar and wiring kit - I will be fitting this myself.

- The tow bar will be used for ocassional towing of a medium sized single axle trailer

- I would also like to add a bike rack to the vehicle.

- I do not own nor do I intend buying a caravan.

- I want to keep costs down which probably rules out a detachable

- The door should open with the towbar in place (but I don't mind if it doesn't open when the trailer is on).

- I don't want to cut the bumper - and would prefer not to have to remove it.

- I'm open to spending the extra money on a "plug and play" type wiring kit if they are available.

I imagine I will be looking at some sort of swan neck + a wiring kit but there are so many and all seem to have subtle differences, can anyone help?

Hi,

contact, onlinetowbars@gmail.com or contact@onlinetowbars.co.uk , they do have good prices and great service.

Sure you'll find good service. :thumbsup:

Now, I remember lengthy posts on this subject over the last couple of years. Your issue is straightforward - and as long as you go for a wiring kit, then any towbar will do you thats designed for the car.

My 2 RAVs each have a towbar. Neither will allow the door to open far if a trailer is on but it doesn't bother me.

I checked that online towbars - seems cheap enough (despite the extra carriage to Northern Ireland). The wiring kit is only £4 - just a bit worried about the actual wiring, or rather the instructions. I'm technically competant provided the instructions are decent!

Below is the text from a post a few years ago, this was for a 5 door 4.2 2004.

As Bothwell Buyer said there is tons of info on this subject if you do a search.

Looking at my towbar and the spare wheel, I am not sure there is any way to mount a bike on the tow bar. (someone please correct me)

I looked into Tow bars a while ago, because I wanted a detachable Towbar but also wanted to be able to open the door with it connected.

Toyota do two towbars, a fixed bar that allows the door to be open and a Brink detachable bar (sold as Toyota OEM) that has to be removed when the door is opened.

I called Brinks technical support line Tel 02476 355 820 and spoke to one of their technical people and it seems that Brink do two detachable towbars for the RAV4 (4.2 model)

Apparently, there is a legal range for the towbar height, the detachable towbar supplied to Toyota and resold by them is at an optimum height but does not allow the door to be opened.

They also do another tow bar that is 20mm lower and allows the door to be opened, this tow bar is at the lower limit of the legal requirement and may be to low for some towing combinations.

I bought the lower detachable bar and have found it to be great for my requirements, tows ok and door opens. I am not sure I would recommend it for a Caravan, I use it for towing a glider Trailer (9M long) and it is slightly nose down, but is very stable (and I have been to Germany & back)

Brink do not sell this part directly, you have to buy it through one of their recommended suppliers. I was recommended Towing Equipment UK Ltd by their tech department (Sales@Towstore.co.uk) 00 353 1 456 4093/4159.

They are based in Dublin but the goods are shipped directly from Brinks stores in the UK. When I bought it two years ago it was around £180.

The part numbers are:

Brink part Number for detachable bar supplied to Toyota (OEM) 4089 (Door does not open)

Brink lower detachable bar 3669 (The one I bought, door does open)

The installation for the Brink lower bar is identical to the Toyota bar, I had mine fitted by my local dealer (I supplied the Bar). I would recommend that you buy the Genuine electrical kit From Toyota its about £70 and it neatly plugs into the RAV wiring loom in a number of places. (Its not a simple wiring installation, you can find the wiring installation on http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default1.asp)

The Brink website has the installation instructions for both bars go to www.brinkweb.com select country then select “search” enter “Toyota” you want RAV 4 (2 & 4WD) details and manuals are downloadable.

Hope this information helps, please check part no’s etc with Brink Technical Guys before placing an order as things may have changed.

Is a bypass relay required for these?

Is a bypass relay required for these?

That's a question bettter asked of a heart surgeon.....come in Bothy....reply please?

Relay? I found 3 of them in wan o ma 216 toolboxes this week. The reason I found them was that I'd bought a few and found I never needed them. I doubt you'll need relays for the trailer wiring unless you intend fitting the trailer with a roof and high wattage HIDs to grow cannabis. (Big Kev - thats no an instruction btw).

IanXT4 - is it no easier tae fly the glider tae germany than tow it there ?? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Phil in Belfast - you'll not need a sofisticated towbar for all yer going tae dae wi it... just make sure the thing will support whatever braket fur yer pushbike. An be careful - ah used tae peddle a opushbike an ah've got arthritic knees noo. Exercise is bad fur ye. If God wanted ye tae peddle a bike, ye'd have been fitted wi a crash helmet.

If you buy the Toyota wiring loom it takes a 10 amp direct feed off the Battery to a relay unit. I cannot find a wiring diagram but I suspect this relay is involved in switching off the cars rear fog light when the the trailer is connected. (Looking at the installation instructions the relay only has a 8 way connector).

It looks like the lighting current is taken directly out of the loom for the lighting.

Bothy - Re gliding to Germany, I always bottle out when I come to that 25 mile stretch of water :eek:

I've got the Thule G5 My link

I didn't need the spare wheel adaptor so it takes 3 bikes and could take 4 if I bought an adaptor. I think Thule go ones that carry less bikes -but it is heavy bit of kit.

The towbar is detachable and the fitting company said that no towbar would fit that would enable the door to open-the bar would be just too low. It is a pain and when I come to change I will get a car with a liftup tailgate.

• 4 weeks later...

Job done, came to under £100 delivered - Those towbars come primed but not painted in any way so I coated it with some underseal. The wiring is also a gift, if you can understand numbers and colours and own a pair of pliers it's no problem...