Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Vvti Battery Change

Karlosos

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 reg Avensis and am looking to change the Battery over myself. It has a factory fit alarm/immobiliser. Will i need to do something with the alarm/immobiliser before disconnecting the Battery?

Thanks

Karl

No great problem. You will have to retune the radio. I had no problems when I did mine the other day. Alternatively, if you already have your new Battery, connect jump leads btween the new Battery & the car Battery cable connections, then remove the old battery & fit the new. Then disconnect cables. WATCH THAT YOU DO NOT SHORT THE CONNECTORS! Simples!

If you're wary of this second method just disconnect, swap batteries, reconnect, retune radio.

Toyota dealers are surprisingly competitive on batteries - a petrol Avensis should be no more than £70 fitted under Toyota's Fixed Price Promise.

Some places plug a small Battery into the cigarette light, to keep the ECU and memories from changing, but I note that Toyotas have no power to the cigarette socket when the ignition is off, will this work if the ignition is turned on ? any Ideas.

Note if the power/battery is disconnected, It will take a few miles for the ECU to learn its settings again.