Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Wheel (Lack Of)

joe59

hi, I've just bought a brand new Rav4 2.2 diesel and have done 3000 miles. I'm happy with the motor, find it a suberb drive, great economy and performance. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not happy with the absence of a spare wheel or even a space saver. Is it possible to fit a proper spare on the back door as with the older Rav4s and is there a kit available?

Well done on a fine purchase. :thumbsup:

It's possible, but as I understand it, it will involve a change of rear door and rear bumper. No kit is available as far as I know.

It's a major complaint on the forum, (if you do a bit of searching).

Many of us carry spare wheels in the boot, either lying down, up on end or lying down under a false "shelf" like mine.

I dislike the trend towards not fitting spares too. But it:

1. reduces weight, therefore improves fuel consumption/CO2 figures, which might make the vehicle better on tax.

2. Save the VM the cost of the wheel/tyre.

3. Frees up more storage space in the vehicle.

So, unfortunately, I can see it continuing.

hi, I've just bought a brand new Rav4 2.2 diesel and have done 3000 miles. I'm happy with the motor, find it a suberb drive, great economy and performance. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not happy with the absence of a spare wheel or even a space saver. Is it possible to fit a proper spare on the back door as with the older Rav4s and is there a kit available?

Indeed a fine choice, I got mine 10 days ago :)

Is the spare wheel on the back door not an option in the UK then? We get the spare on the door as standard with no spare (yeah, right) as a no cost option. Speaking of which is there any way to ensure some thieving git can be stopped from nicking said spare wheel, it looks a bit vulnerable to me.

Lee B

Speaking of which is there any way to ensure some thieving git can be stopped from nicking said spare wheel, it looks a bit vulnerable to me.

Lee B

Additional locking wheel nut? Or something like this:Spare wheel lock

Is the spare wheel on the back door not an option in the UK then?

No. When this model first appeared, it was standard (apart from the T180) in the UK, then we had XT-R "specials" with and without spares and then finally it was dropped on all models and the sealing gunk introduced everywhere.

I'm sure it is just down to the build "spec" from Toyota GB. I guess Toyota Japan would build it with spare if spec'ed that way.

I have to say, I prefer the look of the vehicle now (I didn't at first), without the spare and the rear door does shut "more nicely" without it. A few people do find the door too heavy with the spare on.

However, a "4x4", without a spare? Not convinced myself. I guess it depends on Toyota GB's target market, plus a great many people seem to call out breakdown services to change wheels/puncutures these days. It is just so inconvenient and time wasting for me. Plus, tyre fitters don't seem to like the gunk and what should be a £10-20 repair can translate to a new tyre.

All the UK wheels including those with spare (and on the spare) are fitted with locking wheel nuts (I suspect either @ PDI or at the import centre).

Cheers Davrav, that "Additional locking wheel nut" comment prompted me to go outside and look at the wheels, we might get a spare wheel here but we don't get ANY locking wheel nuts :( So that's 5 locking wheelnuts on the shopping list then! I can feel a trip to the Toyota garage coming on - I did ask the buggers for a Catálogo de accesorios with the car but that only got me blank looks :(

Lee B

Cheers Davrav, that "Additional locking wheel nut" comment prompted me to go outside and look at the wheels, we might get a spare wheel here but we don't get ANY locking wheel nuts :( So that's 5 locking wheelnuts on the shopping list then! I can feel a trip to the Toyota garage coming on - I did ask the buggers for a Catálogo de accesorios with the car but that only got me blank looks :(

Lee B

No wonder - the place is full of foreigners :lol:

No wonder - the place is full of foreigners :lol:

I know :) In fact so many of us have escaped from the UK that we make up nearly 10% of the population here - best not say too much though, the UK gubbmint want you to stay there and keep paying your taxes :)

Lee B

I fell foul of the "no spare" worst case scenario when I ran over a lump of metal. The resultant hole was over 6mm wide ( the slime only works upto 6 mm ) The breakdown guy had to block it with a self tapper. I had to go to with him to a tyre depot and wait for 5 hours while they scourced a tyre. Then they charged me an arm and a leg.

It has been suggested on this site that the AA etc. will not relay you home if you've no spare, can anybody comment?

What about another look at your solution shcm?

.......and if anybody wants a spare wheel and tyre pm me for further info!!!

What about another look at your solution shcm?

yeah, OK anything for t'Grand Master.:thumbsup: It's all in the thread linked below. Woodwork crafted by Ancs, covering my me. To be honest, because of the space it appears to take up, I didn't think many were very impressed, but it works for me and I'm more than pleased with it :thumbsup:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107483&st=15&p=978209entry978209

In the boot of my T180 resides an Avensis space-saver purchased from the local salvage yard for £20.00. It's 5 stud and 114mm pitch with a 60.1mm hole center. With it are ''instructions'' for the 'AA' man to fit this only to a rear wheel and use if required the rear on the front. He then has to unplug the EGR valve connector. This 'throws a code' in the engine brain and disconnects the 4wd. Wife can then drive home without any worries about damaging the 4WD system. The code 'resets' when the plug is replaced in the EGR valve.

Sounds convoluted, but the space saver removes any worries even with the bl@@dy Bridgestone RFT's fitted that we will get stuck!

shame toyota uk cant make a space saver 4 the rav ! think the american ravs still have the wheel on the rear door ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links