Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just A Thought People

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys

Was talking to a neighbour the other day...she hasnt been using her vehicle due to rising petrol costs...they own a 2 litre Toyota petrol...i havent seen her drive it in weeks...so got me thinking...will it affect the car in anyway? Im thinking parts may seize up or something. What do you guys think???

Regards...Sammy

whenever i've left my car for long periods my basic routine is to put bricks by the tyres so keep the car still in my garage. leave it in neutral and with the handbrake down.

following that i've never had any problems tbh...

People have found that T-Sports don't like being sat, many have had issues with a T-Sport that has been sat in a Dealers Forecourt waiting to sell, which developed clutch and CV Boot issues.

They also get fairly creaky handbrakes, and if you don't hit Lift regularly enough, the OCR clogs and dulls down the engine performance.

Basically CTS's really don't like being sat, but pretty well any other Toyota is happy to just sit and start up first time every time!

KP

Main problems leaving a car sitting if the hanbrake is left on is that you run the risk of the pads binding onto the disc, as has been said leaving the handbrake off and chocking the car avoids this. Discs will rust up any way but clear pretty quickly after braking.

Battery can/ will drain too over time

I always leave the GTi's Battery disconnected. Same with the Clio too, the Clio sits rather well, fires up first time every time which is unusual for a French car :lol:

If its sitting long enough it'll beging collecting water and dampness and start corroding as well as the calipers seizing up.

As other's have said also, if a Battery is left too long without being charged or run regularly then that will degrade and if left to completely discharge then it will be knackered.

Also it's a good idea to drain out old fuel as that can sometimes get a bit gacky but in the case of a diesel then I'd just let it run once every one or two weeks.

other than that not alot really. If I've ever left a vehicle sitting for a long period I'll always give the calipers a good service first and make sure i put vaseline around the the slide boots to stop any water and dampness ingress as well as giving the car a damn good wax to protect it from the elements and keep the Battery on a trickle/maintenance charger.

if leaving for a long time it is also wise to take the plugs out and squirt a bit of oil into the cylinders, id always do an oil and filter change before leaving it sit, get as much moisture out the crankcase as possible. (well i do on my bike so i guess id do the same with my car. a few weeks wont do any harm. tyres do get effected if left sitting in the same spot for too long

If its sitting long enough it'll beging collecting water and dampness and start corroding as well as the calipers seizing up.

As other's have said also, if a battery is left too long without being charged or run regularly then that will degrade and if left to completely discharge then it will be knackered.

Also it's a good idea to drain out old fuel as that can sometimes get a bit gacky but in the case of a diesel then I'd just let it run once every one or two weeks.

other than that not alot really. If I've ever left a vehicle sitting for a long period I'll always give the calipers a good service first and make sure i put vaseline around the the slide boots to stop any water and dampness ingress as well as giving the car a damn good wax to protect it from the elements and keep the battery on a trickle/maintenance charger.

Vaseline on rubber? that's a no no, it eats the rubber, much better using rubber grease! vaseline on Battery terminals and electrical contacts yes but not rubber ;)

If I was going to my e12 1.4 standalone for 2 weeks while I go holiday, will i be ok should i disconnect the Battery before i go?

No car likes being stood around doing nothing. Moisture narurally occurs in all aspects - I have even seen clutch plates become stuck to the flywheel - then there's the damp that will gather inside.

Ideally the car should be started at least once a week and allowed to warm up and the air-con allowed to run for at least 10 minutes. If the vehicle is still roadworthy (taxed, insured, etc) then a drive of around 10 miles or so would do it a world of good.

No car likes being stood around doing nothing. Moisture narurally occurs in all aspects - I have even seen clutch plates become stuck to the flywheel - then there's the damp that will gather inside.

Ideally the car should be started at least once a week and allowed to warm up and the air-con allowed to run for at least 10 minutes. If the vehicle is still roadworthy (taxed, insured, etc) then a drive of around 10 miles or so would do it a world of good.

i was gonna suggest leaving the car with a friend to either use on alternate days swapping with their own car or even driving it full time if they didn't have a car of their own.

the air con thing is bit confusing for me - the only time i use my air con is over the summer, apart from that i never run it, is that a bad thing?

I was always told to use your air con at least once a week in the winter months to make sure the workings don't seize. TBH I always leave the aircon on as it seems to help keep the windows free from mist in the winter better than when switched off

Main problems leaving a car sitting if the hanbrake is left on is that you run the risk of the pads binding onto the disc,

On E12s the handbrake is not connected on the break disks. It is connected on the drums of the rear wheels.

Also, apart from the Battery draining out due to i.e. the car alarm, the quality of petrol inside the car becomes rubbish. The longer you leave the petrol in the petrol tank, the worst it gets.

Main problems leaving a car sitting if the hanbrake is left on is that you run the risk of the pads binding onto the disc,

On E12s the handbrake is not connected on the break disks. It is connected on the drums of the rear wheels.

Also, apart from the Battery draining out due to i.e. the car alarm, the quality of petrol inside the car becomes rubbish. The longer you leave the petrol in the petrol tank, the worst it gets.

Mine doesn't have drums on the rear they are discs, no matter if its shoes or pads they can still bind if they are left 'on' for long enough

I have rear discs too. There is no E12 without rear discs. But the handbrake cable is attached on the rear drums. In other words the handbrake on E12 is operating like you didn't have rear discs. Like you only had drums. The rear discs on E12 are only connected to the foot brake.

Only on the E11s the handbrake cable is attached on the rear disc clamps (and the foot brake ofcourse).

I know what I am saying.

Ahh OK, didn't realise that, have learnt something new then :thumbsup:

Just had a look at a Lexus Rx we have in the garage and I see exactly what you mean now :)

I was always told to use your air con at least once a week in the winter months to make sure the workings don't seize. TBH I always leave the aircon on as it seems to help keep the windows free from mist in the winter better than when switched off

So you have the heater on, and leave the air con on too? When I press the "Front" button on my heater control the aircon comes on with it but I always switch it off?

So you have the heater on, and leave the air con on too? When I press the "Front" button on my heater control the aircon comes on with it but I always switch it off?

Yes I do leave the a/c on as it seems to help with keeping the windows demisted better than just using the regular heating and ventilation. I think it comes on as the aircon system also dehumidifies the car to some extent and thus helps to de-mist???

Yes I do leave the a/c on as it seems to help with keeping the windows demisted better than just using the regular heating and ventilation. I think it comes on as the aircon system also dehumidifies the car to some extent and thus helps to de-mist???

I thought it uses the fridge cycle(a/c)..the heat removed from the evaporator to warm the window? so basicly works the other way from a fridge???

Thanks guys...makes interesting reading indeed! I shall whisper in my neighbours ears some of your helpful advice tips...not sure about keeping the handbrake down but i suppose she could keep it in gear to stop it rolling...and maybe warm her car up once/twice a week...times are getting hard for everyone...i dunn no lol!

Sammy

so when you press the "front" button and the a/c comes on with it am i right in thinking the heater throws out warm air but air that has been dehumidified by the a/c system in order to de-mist the windows quicker?

As other's have said also, if a battery is left too long without being charged or run regularly then that will degrade and if left to completely discharge then it will be knackered.

other than that not alot really. If I've ever left a vehicle sitting for a long period I'll always give the calipers a good service first and make sure i put vaseline around the the slide boots to stop any water and dampness ingress as well as giving the car a damn good wax to protect it from the elements and keep the battery on a trickle/maintenance charger.

Vaseline on rubber? that's a no no, it eats the rubber, much better using rubber grease! vaseline on Battery terminals and electrical contacts yes but not rubber ;)

Eventually, probably yeah.

Its not really that much of an issue tbh. I replace the slide boots pretty regularly whenever I do a caliper service anyway (they're only a quid or two for a set anyway!).

Lots of people use vaseline on door seals, sunroof seals and on old convertibles to keep the rubber seals along the edges of folding/sliding roofs nice and soft and supple. Takes quite a while before it starts degrading the rubber.

I've tried actual specific stuff for rubber seals in the past but its crap :!Removed!:

Each to their own though, eh

so when you press the "front" button and the a/c comes on with it am i right in thinking the heater throws out warm air but air that has been dehumidified by the a/c system in order to de-mist the windows quicker?

Thats how I understand it, the system will take moisture out of the air being circulated

CorollaD4D, on 07 March 2011 - 10:44 PM, said:

dangermooser, on 07 March 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

CorollaD4D, on 07 March 2011 - 10:55 AM, said:

dangermooser, on 06 March 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Thats how I understand it, the system will take moisture out of the air being circulated

spot on there a/c dehumidifys the air before it enters the cabin, will also get warm quicker esp seeing as its climate control not just a/c