Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Volume Fading Away On 58812 Unit After Fitting Connect2 Adapter

philip5660

Hi,

I have a RAV4 fitted with a 58812 head unit. After realising that fitting a new head unit would cause me to lose the outside temperature and mpg info I decided to buy an adapter that would allow me to plug in an mp3 player so I bought this connect2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250727355122&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

All was well initially but after being on the road for about 20 minutes (with a phone plugged into the audio jack) the volume faded away to nothing at which point I couldn't hear anything including the radio.

However after the car was switched off for a while when I switched the radio on again it was fine - but then on the next journey the same happened.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Also have any head units/solutions come on the market that would allow me to retain the computer and temp features with a new head unit?

Thanks

Er, lots of things.

I'd start by disconnecting the aux box. I believe with those there is a connector at the aux box end, so I'd just pull that one out, leaving the connection in the back of the radio. Then see if it still does it.

If it doesn't I'd first try returning the aux box as faulty.

I'm not aware of any non-Toyota kit that will retain the temp/mpg. Depending on the age of your RAV and whether it will do EOBD, a "scanguage" would give you mpg, but that's a lot of ££££ for that.

cheers for that - I could try disconnecting at the box end - the only thing is, so far the problem has only occured while the head unit is on "disc" mode and connected to the mp3 player - well some more testing required anyway....

Ah, well OK. :thumbsup:

It was you "volume faded away to nothing at which point I couldn't hear anything including the radio" statement that is partly confusing.

You'll be in disk mode to emulate a CD changer, with an audio source (mp3 player) plugged into the aux box. When the fading occurs and you switch back to radio mode, do you mean you can't hear anything at that point? i.e. no radio volume and no mp3 player if you then switch back to disk mode?

I'd still look at swapping the aux box for another first. There is volume information transmitted on the avclan in some instances, but it would be a very strange failure mode for that to be corrupted in the "right" way.

Possibly the comms with the aux box is iffy. There is a procedure (which I will find for you later) for getting the head unit into diag mode, which may or may not give some clues as to what is going on.

Obviously, of course, I assume you've tried moving the vol control when this occurs.

Yes sorry I didn't describe fully.

So far the sound disappearing has only occured while in disk mode. Then there continues to be no sound no matter what I do i.e. switch to radio, press the volume buttons/turn knob, switch radio off and on, switch car off and on.

The sound only returns when I switch everything off and walk away for a while and come back.

Could heat be an issue?

I contacted the supplier this morning they say they have never heard of this problem and suggest I unplug it all and plug it in again (worth a try I suppose).

If I don't get anywhere with it I will request another adapter.

The procedure that shcm refers to is as follows, coz he gave it to me at Christmas time....

Simultaneously hold in presets 1 and 6......press "DISC" button 3 times....unit will give out a wee beep.

You have now entered diagnostic mode, and can read info from wee LCD screen.

Using the " > " tuning button to the bottom left of your unit, dab slowly and it will give you a number on the first press, and its condition if working or not on the second press. Take note of these numbers and condition thereof and report.....to shcm preferably :lol: who may have a note still of what the numbers refer to. If you have the underseat CD changer, there will likely be three codes to refer to, if no changer, possibly only two.

To exit diagnostic mode, press and hold "DISC" until wee beep beeps again.

AH CAN HEAR THE FORUMNAL GASPIFICATIONS...."BIG KEV ON HERE TALKIN' SENSE....????" Not been drinking, yet.....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Kev's Log...Supplementary....if by some fluke your unit has gone faulty, a company here in The Other God's Country fixes them....not cheaply....PM me with brandy in handy.

Thanks for posting that Kev, saves me the bother :thumbsup:

If you have the underseat CD changer, there will likely be three codes to refer to, if no changer, possibly only two.

The aux box replaces the changer, so there will most likely be three codes (addresses). The aux box very often has the same allocated address as the CD changer (CD-CH1 -> 0x360), so the two won't work together. Another CD changer address is available (CD-CH2 -> 0x240), so it is not impossible to get a changer and aux box in use in the same system, just not that common.

Hi Sorry for the lack of response on this - I don't seem to get email alerts when someone replies to my thread.

Anyway, continued to test this over the last few days and it has in fact got worse, the problem now occurs when using the radio (not just the mp3) and it also occurs quicker (sometimes within a couple of minutes) - Last night I removed the adpater completely and returned everything to standard. My wife reported that the radio behaved normally on the way to work this morning - I think I'll try and get a replacement adapter.

Hi!

I had the same problem, I bought a connect2 adapter for my Ipod, after a while the volume faded away as you described. The problem is in your inetrface box ( connec2 ) I tried to explain this problem to the supportsenter that sold me the adapter...but they told me the problem had to be an other place like the headunit, real bad service..... But when I disconect the interfacebox the sound comes back..

So I ended up with at Scion headunit ( pioneer T1809, this is allready Ipod compatible and gives you a much better sound, but you oose the trip and outside temp tho.... )

You could also ty an other type of interface adapter, but I know I wil never bye anything that says " connect2 " on it again!

Hey there - that's interesting that you had the same problem.

I have returned my adapter and got a new one. If this one doesn't work out I'll ask for a refund and look for another type of adapter.

I want to retain the outside temp and fuel computer otherwise I would have got a new head unit.

New adapter fitted and surprise surprise it does the same thing - I am going to ask for a refund.

I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=35&cat=11&page=1

I am really attracted by the USB connection.

Any comments on this?

• 1 month later...

We have just bought a Connect 2 ipod adaptor interface for our 2003 RAV4 and had the same issue of volume fading after about 20-25 mins of playing the ipod. Then after turning the igintiion off and back on the sound came back but then only played for about 2 minutes before it faded again.

The adaptor was bought from a dealer on eBay, i contacted them explaining the problem and asked if i could return it for a refund, they told me to cut the orange wire on the adaptor that goes into the back of the headunit and insulate it .

So far this seems to have resolved the volume fading problem.

Hope this might help others. :thumbsup:

Since performing the snip of the orange wire, the car has been driven for the hourly commute whilst playing the ipod and the volume has been fine.

Problem solved. ;)

• 3 months later...

handsfree35, if it was for the 58812 head unit do you know what version of the Connect 2 you got? All details available seem to contradict each other if it's the CTVTYX001 or CTVTYX002 model for my age Rav4 (2005)

I've just got a Rav4 and was hoping to use this solution to connect my non iPhone to the unit. If yours is still working after a few more months I'd be happy to buy one and snip the orange wire as you did.

• 1 month later...

handsfree35, if it was for the 58812 head unit do you know what version of the Connect 2 you got? All details available seem to contradict each other if it's the CTVTYX001 or CTVTYX002 model for my age Rav4 (2005)

I've just got a Rav4 and was hoping to use this solution to connect my non iphone to the unit. If yours is still working after a few more months I'd be happy to buy one and snip the orange wire as you did.

Hi, its my girlfriends 2003 NRG VVTI with the Type 3 X17054 (according to the manual) CD headunit. Not sure of the model number of the Connect2 adaptor but i found this on eBay and it looks like the fella.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Ipod-Iphone-Interface-Adaptor-Corolla-Yaris-Rav4-Connects2-CTATYIPOD001-2-/270834126282?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f0ef8cdca

• 5 months later...

Hiya.

Just had the same problem with a Connect 2 CTVTYX001 with my 2003 Rav4. I snipped the orange wire - and it seems to have solved the problem.

Many thanks for posting this thread. Very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem with the Connect 2 CTVTYX001 in my 2003 Previa. Twenty minutes and the sound slowly faded out and never came back. Affected the radio too. Snipped the orange wire and now it's a good 'un.

Big thanks to all who shared in this great forum.

Paul

I installed the Connects2 CTATYIPOD001.2 into my Rav 4 XT4 (54 reg) to play my ipod on my iPhone through my radio, after installing it I had the same problem of fading! I spoke to 'DYNAMICSOUNDS' who make/supply it and they told me to cut the 'Orange wire'.....this I did on advise and the unit along with the standard radio (58812) have worked perfectly since! (about 4 months)

Steve

• 4 years later...

Hi. I need your help with a problem with my radio. Like earlier posts, my radio fades after 20mins or so. I've followed Big Kevs instructions about fault codes and I get P160 & P190. Does anyone know what this means? I am also trying to fit an Xcarlink iPhone adaptor but there's no spare cd input on the rear of the 58812 head unit. Any suggestion re the iPhone adaptor &/or the fading radio would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

I have attached some photos of the unit in the hope that this will help.

Thanks again

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg