Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux Cable For Ipod With Sony Radio In Gen 7

leic_1

Hi all,

I have bought my first Celica T Sport last week and love it. Still trying to find a comfortable driving position (i came from a diesel ford focus that had armcharis in it!), but it is very quick! :-)

I wasn't sure whther to start a new thrad or tag to an old one, but thought after a long period of time a new one might be appropriate. I want to able to plug in my ipod via an aux cable alongside using CDs in the multichanger. I have read some old threads that it is hard to do with the sony headunit that comes as standard. Some of the old posts suggest just stumping up for a new head unit, however I am happy with it and don't wanna spend £100 quid odd on a new one! I really just want a cheap and dirty solution to use when I take the car to the Nurburgring at the end of April.

Does anyone have any ideas? wil it mean choosing between CD multichanger and ipod connection when it comes to using sockets in the back of the headunit?

I would really appreciate your advice and help for a celica newbie!

Alex

The EASIEST and most effective way is one of THESE ... I used it before I plumped for a Pioneer 2 Din DVD Head Unit ... I dont regret the upgrade it really is worth it !

th_IMG_0481.jpg

With the Tape Deck solution it literally means switching between iPod (On the Tape Deck) to the CD Multichanger, quick and easy :D

thnaks BGDaz for the reply! I should have said thats the one solution I would rather not use! i meant quick and dirty as in don't mind having a cable sticking out of the glove box or something that plugs into the back of the head unit that is a bit discrete. Can an aux cable connect to the back of the unit to plug into the headphone jack of my ipod?

cheers for the help!

No probs, I have the unit handy so you can see the back (Incase you havent seen it):

th_stereo.jpg

There is no Aux in unfortunately so the only way to do it with the standard unit is to either run a tape deck unit, OR you can get an FM Transmitter

Have you looked at many after market Head Units, you can get some decent ones for not too bad a price

I have an FM transmitter, which is fine for tootling round Preston, but becomes tiresome on long journeys. I'm planing taking the celica to the nurburgring so changing channel oever 50 miles is hard work!

whats the quality of sound like with the tape deck solution?

I haven't looked at any after market units as only bought the car last weekend (i.e. 4 days ago!) and therefore feeling the pinch this month.

These 2 items would do the job, the sony xa 300 will let you connect almost anything to it , I use one myself and have multi md player and phone/mp3 player connected.

easy to switch between them all using the head unit and sound quality is perfect coz its all hard wired. I connect my phone using a 3.5 mm female jack to rca you could probaly do the same,

plenty available for next to nothing on eBay

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=XA300

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCA-COMPOSITE-AV-TV-CABLE-F-iPOD-iPHONE-3G-UP-VER2-2-/250784873954?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a63f17de2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5m-3-5mm-Jack-2-x-RCA-Phono-Audio-Cable-Gold-Lead-/380202014233?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5885ce5619

bigjimg thanks for the info!

Did you install the box behind the dash? where did you run the wires that connect into the box for easy access to your phone?

cheers

"Did you install the box behind the dash? where did you run the wires that connect into the box for easy access to your phone?"

There is loads of room behind the HU to put this piece of kit into and I have mine in behind the HU, but you can put it any where depending on how long you get cables.

I have my md changer in the centre arm rest box and a 3.5mm female jack installed just at the front of the cup holders for ease of plugging in mp3 or phone.

All cables run through under the plastic centre console, no wires visible.

35mmfemalejack.jpg

• 3 months later...

The EASIEST and most effective way is one of THESE ... I used it before I plumped for a Pioneer 2 Din DVD Head Unit ... I dont regret the upgrade it really is worth it !

th_IMG_0481.jpg

With the Tape Deck solution it literally means switching between iPod (On the Tape Deck) to the CD Multichanger, quick and easy :D

Hi,

where can i find this 2-Din Holder ?

I find only this version

95-8202.jpg

Did you have a link ?

Best regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

you could always buy an i trip. a small device that plugs into the bottom of your ipod and works or radio signal channels approx £30

This is probably a stupid question but how easy is it to connect the sony xa 300 to the head unit or is it simply a case of just plugging it in?