Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removal Of Standard Radio On New Tourer

Nightstalker

Hi all...

does anyone here know how to remove the standard (not the satnav) stereo system on the new style Avensis Tourer?

Will be looking at adding an IPOD/IPHONE kit to it and need to get behind the stereo...

Regards

Rob

Hi,

This link may not fit your unit exactly, but will give you an idea how to get into the dash.

If not, there are more manuals on that site.

Thermal's link will work perfectly for you, its the fitting guide to swap out the standard head unit to the TNS510, that's for the LHD version and the same Tech Docs site has the guide for the RHD version also.

I would advise getting a trim removal tool, only a few quid from Halfords, saves scratching the plastics and helps with the removal of the top vent which requires a little brute force combined with dexterity :)

I used that Tech Docs guide to strip my dash and transmission tunnel to allow me to fit my iPod cables for the TNS510.

Thermal's link will work perfectly for you, its the fitting guide to swap out the standard head unit to the TNS510, that's for the LHD version and the same Tech Docs site has the guide for the RHD version also.

I would advise getting a trim removal tool, only a few quid from Halfords, saves scratching the plastics and helps with the removal of the top vent which requires a little brute force combined with dexterity :)

I used that Tech Docs guide to strip my dash and transmission tunnel to allow me to fit my iPod cables for the TNS510.

That doc is brilliant...

However I should'nt be needing it now :-) Getting a T4 with the other Sat Nav in it... ;-) Dont know what the TNS number is for it... Hope that I can use my iPhone without having to mess about with the cabeling...

That doc is brilliant...

However I should'nt be needing it now :-) Getting a T4 with the other Sat Nav in it... ;-) Dont know what the TNS number is for it... Hope that I can use my iPhone without having to mess about with the cabeling...

Sorry to be a party pooper, that will be the Premium Nav system, the same as fitted to my old 10 plate Prius T-Spirit, excellent audio quality, great voice control but it still requires an additional kit that I would reccomend you DO NOT BUY :) because it's totally pants. It ruins a brilliant entertainment system. It only supports iPod/iPhone as a pseudo CD Changer, can only access 6 playlists, and can only have 99 tracks per playlist.

The good news however is that the bluetooth streaming is pretty good, and that can be controlled in a limited fashion from the steering wheel controls (track up / down, volume up / down), and you can rip your own CD's to it's internal hard disk.

please please please don't buy the iPod kit for the premium Nav, it's essentially a very expensive iPod charging cable. Have a squint in the Prius forum for more info :)

That doc is brilliant...

Sorry to be a party pooper, that will be the Premium Nav system, the same as fitted to my old 10 plate Prius T-Spirit, excellent audio quality, great voice control but it still requires an additional kit that I would reccomend you DO NOT BUY :) because it's totally pants. It ruins a brilliant entertainment system. It only supports iPod/iPhone as a pseudo CD Changer, can only access 6 playlists, and can only have 99 tracks per playlist.

The good news however is that the bluetooth streaming is pretty good, and that can be controlled in a limited fashion from the steering wheel controls (track up / down, volume up / down), and you can rip your own CD's to it's internal hard disk.

please please please don't buy the iPod kit for the premium Nav, it's essentially a very expensive iPod charging cable. Have a squint in the Prius forum for more info :)

AH... If I can upload my own stuff then that should be ok...

However, for my LC I already have a GROM kit, which does the job(as you say it sees the iPhone as a cd changer) and charges the phone at the same time... and from what I think, it should also work on this system... just need to pull all the gunf out... Will take a closer look once I've got the car...

As for streaming blue tooth from the phone to the stereo, not sure if that will work, but willing to give it a go..

When I said the sound sytem is better I meant there are more Speakers (unless I'm mistaken) on this system... unless these were only added at a later stage...

Hi,

In september last year, the TNS350 was announced as the successor of the TNS510, that would overcome all these iPod-, USB- and SD card connection problems, as well as a whole new set of modern features.

It would be available in februari 2011, which is ... around now. :)

Ask your dealer and/or google for TNS350.

If you're buying new and you have the same lead time as I had, the TNS350 will surely be there.

Hi,

In september last year, the TNS350 was announced as the successor of the TNS510, that would overcome all these iPod-, USB- and SD card connection problems, as well as a whole new set of modern features.

It would be available in februari 2011, which is ... around now. :)

Ask your dealer and/or google for TNS350.

If you're buying new and you have the same lead time as I had, the TNS350 will surely be there.

IS that to replace the current system in the TR range? To be honest I dont like it...

The system I'm getting is the one which is in the T4. Quite looking forward to playing with it in a few weeks... :drool:

My car is the T4 Tourer. Both the missus an I LOVE the sat-nav and sound system!

The nav is superb. I'm sure it's the same system Audi use as the graphics and woman barking her orders though the Speakers are exactly the same as on our Audi A4.

As for the sound system, both our iPhones hook up with no problems. So much so, that a CD hasn't been within 50 feet of our car. True, you do have to pretty much control the playback through your iPhone (you can only play and pause on the nav screen), but I just make up a playlist and I'm set. It also pauses etc when a call comes though.

I should also add that the bluetooth phone system is second to none. You can call from the phone, dial from the nav screen and control from the steering wheel. You can even upload your contacts to the hard drive and set up speedials, which can be accessed via the voice recognition system - very cool!

Also, call quality is crystal clear. Believe me, the Avensis and iPhone are a match made in heaven. Absolutely superb!

Oh, an as fluffmeister says, don't bother with any extra cables as you really don't need them. Everything works seemlessly through bluetooth - phone, music streaming, everything! All I've got is a cheapo iPhone car charger from fleabay for use if the iPhone Battery gets low.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links