Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2L D4D Glow Plug Life On 2004 Corolla

evisonj

At 68k miles I'm now on my third set of glowplugs. As this strikes me as pretty short life ..... I've replaced them this time with non Toyota parts.

I've put in Bosch glowplugs (0 250 202 125) which at £13 are about half the Toyota price. Once one goes I work on the logic that you might as well replace them all. Least they are easy to change on a Corolla.

I can only put the short life down to the fact that the car is not garaged & does mainly short journeys.

mine lasted around 80K before they went. stick with jap brands - i got ngk ones for £10 each no problems since. car is now on 101k...

firstly the next time they blow try ngk ones and secondly don't replace all 4 even though that goes against all my views on car maintanence. if it is really such an issue replace then as and when they blow.

secondly is your check engine/engine management light ever came on showing glow plug fault?

To answer the question ..... no I've never experienced my engine mgt check light on. Hard starting was the sympton that made me check the glow plugs.

Glad to hear that the NGK plugs work fine as I've read some slightly negative comments about them..... may be I'll try them next time. By the way the Bosch glow plugs were stamped made in Japan.

when you flick the key to the "on" position. roughly how many seconds does the car make you wait before the glow plug light switches off so you may start the engine?

• 4 weeks later...

What's the sign that says I need to replace glow plugs?

Just new on D4D engines need to learn a lot.

Thanks

the glow plug light taking longer than normal to turn off

check engine light showing a glow plug fault usually = set of 4 new glow plugs

car not starting properly, taking more cranks to start

etc etc you get the picture...

the glow plug light taking longer than normal to turn off

check engine light showing a glow plug fault usually = set of 4 new glow plugs

car not starting properly, taking more cranks to start

etc etc you get the picture...

Got it so I think my glow plugs is good.