Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusting Rear Hatch Lock Unit

Devil-ish

Dont know where the thread about this is so making new one :unsure:

Car went in for various little faults yesterday, all sorted now :rolleyes: . Only thing undone is this problem with the rear locking unit. I read about the rusting on here somewhere so I looked on mine and sure enough there was signs of rust under the unit so asked them to look at it. Apparently there is significant rusting under this unit when they took it off :o . They havent done anything yet because they have had to report it to higher authority who will come down to inspect it and then do something about it I hope :angry: . So check your back units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont know where the thread about this is so making new one :unsure:

Car went in for various little faults yesterday, all sorted now :rolleyes: . Only thing undone is this problem with the rear locking unit. I read about the rusting on here somewhere so I looked on mine and sure enough there was signs of rust under the unit so asked them to look at it. Apparently there is significant rusting under this unit when they took it off :o . They havent done anything yet because they have had to report it to higher authority who will come down to inspect it and then do something about it I hope :angry: . So check your back units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked them to have a look at the rear lock rusting issue during the 2nd service last month.

The report was:

"removed inner panel on rear hatch, nothing evident.

Wiped off staining on door surface.

Customer to monitor"

I had actually pointed out the staining was due to a rusting component in the "handle" mechanism, so I would have liked the report to have said:

"took off inner panel, removed lock, identified rusting component and have ordered replacement to be fitted at a later date.

Report sent to Toyota to improve material usage in rear lock, and initiate replacement as required"

If everyone reports the problem then the setscrew, or what ever is rusting, may be changed as a matter of course in future servicing procedures.

Otherwise there will be a lot of IQs with rusty looking hatches, which will not do MrT's image any good.

The german owners who first reported the problem had to have their rear hatches resprayed, which seems a bit excessive.As far as I can see it is the component in the handle that is rusting, not the door itself.

This customer will be monitoring it very closely!

Please keep us informed if Toyota head office give any feed back or if your own dealer fixes it.

Please see one of my posts below, its not just the catch that rusts the tailgate its self rusts and Toyota do not want to know, once they have your money thats it, *****s.

Rusty Iq 14 Months Old

28 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

I washed my 14 month old IQ today as I do every single week without fail only to find 5 rust spots/bubles on it, 3 on the boot and 2 on the bonnet.

I rang the dealer where I bought the car brand new from, RRG, BOLTON and explained, they asked me to take the car down to their body shop,which I did within the hour.

They then told me that it would probably not be covered on the warranty because at least 2 had been done by stone chips? 1 may have been done by a scrath ( their are no signs of a scratch that my self and my wife could see )and the other 2 they could not explain??????

How do you get stone chips on the boot???

What a big massive load of bull----, I am furious to say the least, if a 14 month old (that has been very well looked after, washed and polished offen) car starts to rust for any reason then it is a load of crap and should be rectified at the manufactures cost.

I have a 10 year old Audi A3 that does not have any rust on it any where, it also has a few dents but no rust?

I will never buy or recomend a Toyota ever again, and I certainly would not recomend RRG, TOYOTA, BOLTON.

Please check your cars and if you have a problem with rust, and your dealer does rectify it for you under the waranty then I would be glad to hear from you.

Many thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links