Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Day Light Running Lights

Grosvnr

WILL THE NEW TOYOTA AYGO HAVE INTERGRATED LED DLR`S OR WILL THEY FOLLOW OTHER MANUFACTURES BY THE WAY OF DIPPED HEADLIGHTS COMMING ON AFTER THE ENGINE AS STARTED,THUS LOWERING THE FUEL CONSUMPTION ,IVE JUST PURCHASED A PAIR OF RING

DAY LIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS & THE ONLY PLACE THEY LOOK THE BEST ARE ON THE LONG GRILL UNDER THE NUMBER PLATE ,THEY CERTAINLY MAKE MY AYGO BLUE STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD,WITHOUT COMPROMISING M P G AND BULB REPLACEMENT,HOPE TO PUT SOME PHOTOS ON SOON ,IF THIS WEATHER EVER PICKS UP,

• Like 1

WILL THE NEW TOYOTA AYGO HAVE INTERGRATED LED DLR`S OR WILL THEY FOLLOW OTHER MANUFACTURES BY THE WAY OF DIPPED HEADLIGHTS COMMING ON AFTER THE ENGINE AS STARTED,THUS LOWERING THE FUEL CONSUMPTION ,IVE JUST PURCHASED A PAIR OF RING

DAY LIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS & THE ONLY PLACE THEY LOOK THE BEST ARE ON THE LONG GRILL UNDER THE NUMBER PLATE ,THEY CERTAINLY MAKE MY AYGO BLUE STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD,WITHOUT COMPROMISING M P G AND BULB REPLACEMENT,HOPE TO PUT SOME PHOTOS ON SOON ,IF THIS WEATHER EVER PICKS UP,

*DRLs :P

I guess it'll have one or the other, the LEDs would certainly make for more economical motoring. Pop some piccies on when you can, I was thinking about doing the same to my Aygo! :)

I DOUBT THE NEW AYGO (NEXT GENERATION AYGO) WILL HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS OVER IN THE UK, AND LEDS ARE AT THE MOMENT ARE WITH HIGHER SPEC CARS. TO BE HONEST I M NOT A FAN OF THOSE DAYTIME LEDS. IM GETTING BLINDED BY THOSE AUDIS, AND NOW THE HORRID CITROEN DS C3!

ANY WHY ALL THE SHOUTING!!?? :wacko: :wacko:

I'm pretty sure the Aygo II WILL hae DRL factory fitted.

AFAIK there's a new European law in place now, stating that all NEW MODELS

introduced after 1 july 2011 are mandatory to have DRL fitted.

I'm curious how Toyota will do so, but I certainly see the benefits of DRL,

that's why I fitted a set myself, with E-approval and fitted in the lower

grill, so they look like foglights, only they're legal to run :D

DRL08.gif

I DOUBT THE NEW AYGO (NEXT GENERATION AYGO) WILL HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS OVER IN THE UK, AND LEDS ARE AT THE MOMENT ARE WITH HIGHER SPEC CARS. TO BE HONEST I M NOT A FAN OF THOSE DAYTIME LEDS. IM GETTING BLINDED BY THOSE AUDIS, AND NOW THE HORRID CITROEN DS C3!

Sorry didnt know i was shouting !!! http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gifB)

Well it probably will - as Jan has pointed out, the new law is now in place (in fact, in the UK it's been in place since last month), meaning new cars introduced to market have to have DRLs fitted as standard. They offer plenty of benefits, mainly for the purpose of being seen. I don't find them too bright - only if the car behind gets too close (which is a common occurrence if you're in front of an Audi!) and I think they look great on the Citroen DS3, a car that has real road presence. xenon headlights are probably worse in my opinion, if we're talking about these lights blinding people. Worst thing is when people drive through the Mersey tunnel with them!

Like anything involving the EU, there is huge confusion about DRL's.

Cars sold in the EU have to be 'capable of running' DRL's from last month as the poster above says. However, that does not mean they HAVE to run them. The GB governmant argued against mandatory DRL's after terrific lobbying from the motorcycle fraternity who argued (correctly) that DRL's reduce the likelihood of seeing a motorcycle (they currently stand out more because of their mandatory always-on headlamps).

As a result of the GB lobbying, the EU then modified the law to say that in order to preserve the visibility of motorcycles, DRL's should not activate the usual car headlamps but should be a different seperate lamp of specified wattage and max/min sizes. Hence manufacturers have split themselves between LED's like the Audi/Porsche/Citroen DS3 solution, and seperate bulbs, usually in the fog lamp unit where fitted like the Fiat 500 and the BMW Mini. DRL's must extinguish when the dipped beam headlamps are turned on and must also extinguish on one side when the relevant indicator unit is lit, if they are located within the same lamp housing as the indicator. There is thus some quite complex circuitry going on in some cars and retro-fitting them is not a walk in the park.

Decoding this is not easy. Permanent dipped headlamps are not DRL's and are in fact against the law. DRL's must be a seperate lamp, but do not have to be LED's. In the UK, cars will not have to have them operational on a mandatory basis for another two years, but they have to be capable of having them now, so most manufacturers have just started to put them on as it saves tooling for two sets of lights, with and without. Low volume manufacturers under certain production numbers (Caterham, Morgan, etc) are exempted.

The EU originally wanted the law to make it mandatory to retro-fit them to all cars including heaven forfend classic cars (can you imagine how awful that would look); but fortunately thanks mainly to the FBHVC this was headed off at the pass.

I would have thought that the new Aygo will be tooled for DRL's, and judging by the Auris and the Prius, Toyota seem to be embracing an LED solution on their cars.

• 3 weeks later...

daylight running lights look amazing on my aygo .... brought some ring lyra daytime/night-time lights and fitted them just below the grill and they look amazing

daylight running lights look amazing on my aygo .... brought some ring lyra daytime/night-time lights and fitted them just below the grill and they look amazing

Pictures? :)

Since nobody knows what the actual new Aygo will look like,

I doubt if anyone knows how the DRL will be implemented...

Since nobody knows what the actual new Aygo will look like,

I doubt if anyone knows how the DRL will be implemented...

They should adopt the way you fitted yours Jan, they look excellent.

Thanks for the compliment.

I actually had to make the entire thing myself, but you

CAN get retrofit units that will fill into existing foglights.

A "disadvantage" of my system is that it can't be combined with

foglights or it'll look stupid, like on some Mercedeses nowadays...

• 1 year later...

Good evening all

Are there any Toyota technicians on here that would kindly grab me the part number and wiring diagram for the 2012 Fire DRL's...??

when you fit them they have to come on with the ignition & go off when the side lights come on or if they stay on they have to dim not sure by what %

i have used a 5 pin relay and wired them up like this to make them comply

pin 30 - is ignition live

pin 87a - drl's live side

pin 87 - nothing connected

pin 86 - live supply from side lights

pin 85 - earth wire

wiring them like this when the side lights are turned on the relay then toggles and turns off the power to 87a and put the power to 87 where nothing is connected

Thanks Eygo

Is your instruction for the 2012 model or a pre-2012 model; it's just that I wondered if the 2012 loom was identical for Ice and Fire because I've not looked under the bonnet of a Fire...?

I was also wondering what cabled come from the 2012 DRL lights themselves, have you seen one up close and can you comment..?

Thanks Eygo

Is your instruction for the 2012 model or a pre-2012 model; it's just that I wondered if the 2012 loom was identical for Ice and Fire because I've not looked under the bonnet of a Fire...?

I was also wondering what cabled come from the 2012 DRL lights themselves, have you seen one up close and can you comment..?

this is the way i have fitted them to a car without any wiring pre-installed, i bought kath a nissan micra k11 as her first car to learn in, in dec 2011 and i wanted her to me more visible on the road so i fitted some drl's and in jan 2013 i bought her the aygo to replace the micra.

you can take the power feed from anything as you take such a small amount of power,in the micra i took the power supply from the wiper motor(ignition controlled),this kept all wiring under the bonnet.

ANY WHY ALL THE SHOUTING!!?? wacko.gifwacko.gif

Aygo will definately have DRL's as all new models homologated after Feb 2011 have to have DRL by law.

Devon

Thanks Eygo

this is the way i have fitted them to a car without any wiring pre-installed, i bought kath a nissan micra k11 as her first car to learn in, in dec 2011 and i wanted her to me more visible on the road so i fitted some drl's and in jan 2013 i bought her the aygo to replace the micra.

you can take the power feed from anything as you take such a small amount of power,in the micra i took the power supply from the wiper motor(ignition controlled),this kept all wiring under the bonnet.

Did you use after-market OR the 2012 Fire DRL's from Toyota..?

i just used after market drl's

drl.jpg

here is a pic of the micra with them on