Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mayonnaise Inside Oil Filler Cap

kevin65

When I removed the oil dipstick today to check the oil level, I noticed a tiny smear of mayonnaise on the stick, near the top. I took off the oil filler cap and noticed a tiny amount up inside the cap. Coolant level seems constant. I do alot of small journeys and information on the internet seems to indicate its moisture from the air. However, I'd like to solicit the opinions of my learned Aygo here on this forum.

Is this something to be worried about?

take the car for a decent drive warm it up properly and do some dual carriageway/motorway runs, let it rev up to the redline once warm :) that will get rid of your mayo!

A good motorway run for an hour should see you right... :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll give it a blast out the motorway some lunchtime this week. It rarely gets a good drive :)

I had a car that ahd this and its water leaking in to the oil. I would get in checked out if its under warranty. If its not under warranty then flog it before it becomes more serious.

this is caused by the way the breather system is set up on the aygo....its nothing to worrie about....

• Like 1

I'd be more inclined to have it looked at. Usually that indicates a head gasket issue... I had the same with an old punto get it checked if warranty is still on it !!

Sounds like head gasket to me, if it's under warranty go visit Mr T

Sounds like head gasket to me, if it's under warranty go visit Mr T

if its not the head gasket,then the problem is caused by short runs,and/or letting engine warm up before driving off.

mayonnaise is caused by some parts of enginee,ie cylinder head being hotter than rocker cover, causing condensation.

treat engine to a good fast run as others have suggested and more frequent oil channges.

Ours has the same - it's a consequence of it doing short trips most of the time. To clear it we give the car a good run out every couple of weeks or so.

Many years ago I had a Fiesta which at 50,000 miles was starting to suffer from engine trouble and there was enough mayo for a sandwich. I used to have to scoop it from the filler and breather pipes with a spoon!

I have a new B class (4,000 miles) and this had some mayo around the oil filler cap when I did levels checks on Saturday. After 100 miles yesterday it had gone.

Believe me its nothing at all to worry about, i had an oil change done a few weeks ago and had mayonnaise under my oil filler cap as well, the reason i only use my car for short runs and only do about 3,500 miles a year, the mechanic who did the oil change was an ex Toyota mechanic (20 years) ...Hope this puts your mind at rest....Regards Colin

Get mayonnaise in your coolant and then you will have a problem !!!!

Believe me its nothing at all to worry about, i had an oil change done a few weeks ago and had mayonnaise under my oil filler cap as well, the reason i only use my car for short runs and only do about 3,500 miles a year, the mechanic who did the oil change was an ex Toyota mechanic (20 years) ...Hope this puts your mind at rest....Regards Colin

some toyota in the USA were having major problems with the engine design causing mayonnaise build up.this was draining dowm it to the sump and blcking the oil pump strainer,causing main and bigend failure.

not suggesting its the same case here, but its not a thing to be ignored.it can block up the crankcase breather system.

youll soon know if this happens as you will find your engine has developed oil leaks due to crankcase pressure.

When I removed the oil dipstick today to check the oil level, I noticed a tiny smear of mayonnaise on the stick, near the top. I took off the oil filler cap and noticed a tiny amount up inside the cap. Coolant level seems constant. I do alot of small journeys and information on the internet seems to indicate its moisture from the air. However, I'd like to solicit the opinions of my learned Aygo here on this forum.

Is this something to be worried about?

This time of year, especially combined with short journeys, you will sometimes get a little.

All it is is frothed up oil & water vapour that sticks to

the coldest parts of the engine.

go for a good long run & get the engine thoroughly hot, the water part of the emulsion will evaporate

and be removed from the engine. This will just leave the oil.

Back to normal.

Ian.

i AM a toyota licenced tec ie TLT and have been for over 6 years working for a main dealer.....as i said nothing to worrie about...normal for the aygo

some toyota in the USA were having major problems with the engine design causing mayonnaise build up.this was draining dowm it to the sump and blcking the oil pump strainer,causing main and bigend failure.

not suggesting its the same case here, but its not a thing to be ignored.it can block up the crankcase breather system.

youll soon know if this happens as you will find your engine has developed oil leaks due to crankcase pressure.

to the above^^^^^^^it doesnt happen bad enough for that to happen here.....you only really notice it in the cap even when the rocker covers removed theirs hardly anything to see...

Thanks again for the feedback guys. It is just a tiny amount up inside the inner part of the filler cap, not sign of any traces when looking into the oil filler hole. Should have a chance on Friday to give it a good run.

to the above^^^^^^^it doesnt happen bad enough for that to happen here.....you only really notice it in the cap even when the rocker covers removed theirs hardly anything to see...

in the usa they refer to mayonaise/ froth as gel.tried to find article on the cause of the build on well maintained engies.but i rembered that it was caused by faulty cyl head design causing major build up in the cylinde head.

not suggesting that the problem would occur in the uk.

but when london transport replaced the trolley bus with diesel one,one particuler depot experianced major oil leaks on its engines,that was not happening at other depots.what was happening at his depot was that staff were letting the engine running for up to an hour before use,to warm the bus up for passenger comfort.this caused a mayonnaise problem which blocked the crankcase breather system.

this is one of the many website in the usa reporting the problem. www.toyotaoilgel.co

and toyotaoilgel.com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a car that ahd this and its water leaking in to the oil. I would get in checked out if its under warranty. If its not under warranty then flog it before it becomes more serious.

Not sure anyone will be buying a car off you in the future