Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17Mm Or 19Mm Wheel Nuts?

AYGOgummy

I know someone's said both on here before... but which one is it? I've ordered 17mm wheel nut caps and they appear to be the wrong size for my Aygo! :s

U mean bolts ? ;)

Well whichever... I'm referring to the covers I'll be putting over them though. So do I need 17mm or 19mm?

Get the 17mm covers and if all else fails use a big hammer... :yahoo:

Get the 17mm covers and if all else fails use a big hammer... :yahoo:

Yeah that's what I got... but they don't seem to fit :P it's thoroughly bizarre!! :P

Have you tried a socket on a bolt? The size of the socket required should determine the bolt head size and thus the size of the caps required.

I did buy some 21mm caps for the 21mm headed nuts on my Yaris but they were too tight as well so couldn't use them! I know there has to be some interference otherwise they'd fall off but there was no way these would go on fully. If I'd really persisted there was no chance of removal in the event of requiring access to the nuts to remove the wheel, other than break them.(the covers I mean!)

Have you tried a socket on a bolt? The size of the socket required should determine the bolt head size and thus the size of the caps required.

I did buy some 21mm caps for the 21mm headed nuts on my Yaris but they were too tight as well so couldn't use them! I know there has to be some interference otherwise they'd fall off but there was no way these would go on fully. If I'd really persisted there was no chance of removal in the event of requiring access to the nuts to remove the wheel, other than break them.

That's what I'm worried about too. Might try putting them in hot water as has been suggested on the other thread and see if they go on any better. If it's still not having it, I don't know what I'll do! How much would a set of new bolts be? Excluding the locking nuts? Because they're fine. Just the normal bolts are hideously rusty. IMG_5514.jpg

Don't know about UK-pricing, but in The Netherlands these bolts are €7,50 EACH!

And you need 16 (or 12 with locking bolts), so that's €90 or €120 all around...

Those bolts look awful, I can see why you want to cover/renew them. I know they're "only" bolts but spoil the looks of an alloy wheel in good condition. Were they originally a "chrome" finish? I would be reluctant to spend the equivalent of 90 Euro for them only to go rusty again. :angry:

Those bolts look awful, I can see why you want to cover/renew them. I know they're "only" bolts but spoil the looks of an alloy wheel in good condition. Were they originally a "chrome" finish? I would be reluctant to spend the equivalent of 90 Euro for them only to go rusty again. :angry:

I know :( They were originally a sort of dull grey, not quite as shiny as chrome, but they looked better than this! Literally this has only happened in the last twelve months or so, very bizarre. It started off being the front wheels but the same has since happened to the rear wheels. And exactly, I don't want to spend more money if the same thing is going to happen. When the car was under warranty Toyota said they weren't covered and that I'd have to pay for a new set if I wanted them renewing, even though the woman on the service desk came out and inspected them, agreeing that they were in an awful state (and that was 6 months ago!). I'll try dipping them in warm water as another member has suggested and see if that helps. The thing I'm worried about is getting them off again!! :P

Don't know about UK-pricing, but in The Netherlands these bolts are €7,50 EACH!

And you need 16 (or 12 with locking bolts), so that's €90 or €120 all around...

Goodness me! I don't want to be spending that kind of money, specially considering I'm a student! :P I'll try again with the bolt covers this week and see how I get on. Don't think I'll be able to return them if they don't fit, as they came in that stupid packaging where you have to use scissors (and plasters for your fingers!) to get into the thing! I'd happily see that kind of packaging banned! Anyway back onto the subject of bolts!...

Were they originally a "chrome" finish?

No, they're not. So the next set will rust just as well: mine do... Were replaced under warranty about a year ago.

My suggestion is to derust them and spray them with any colour you like(chrome finish preferably).

In order to prevent chipping off when changing the wheels you can put an adhesive tape around them as protection and take the wheels off and put them on again. I know, that`s a lot of work, but pretty inexpensive :thumbsup:

A possible (much cheaper) alternative.

When I had a Smart Fortwo, owners had a similar problem.

Some of us, rather than sorting out the bolts, came up with a cunning disguise.

I no longer have alloys on my Aygo so somebody else will have to do the measuring / testing......

Blank off the holes with something like......

caps2.jpg

caps.jpg

Look on eBay for " 30mm end caps" or if somebody can test the hole size, " 25mm end caps"

20 for about £5.00 delivered!

Somebody will have to pluck up the courage to test it, but once the correct size is found, Hey-Presto! No more ugly nuts.

You won't even have to clean those pesky holes out! Just sponge straight over the tops.

capsdone.jpg

Ian.

Those things will not fall flush with the rim I'd think...

I had Parking Sensors on my Aygo, but removed them since they were too sensitive.

To not be stuck with 4 holes in the bumpers I put 4 of those in there instead.

100_5537.JPG

Not flush, but WAY cheaper than a new bumper or filling them with a respray...

Got four of them for less than €2,- at a DIY-store: endcaps for metal table legs...

• 2 weeks later...

Right... I'm going to try and return those covers I bought seeing as they don't fit over bolts! If anyone has bought similar covers online, I'd be grateful of a link because I'm keen to get the right ones next time, and I'd like to be safe in the knowledge that they will fit an Aygo!

I'll let you know how I go with the company I bought them off. It says I can return my item as long as it hasn't been opened. But obviously I had to open them to see if they'd fit, and they don't! So I'm hoping they'll see that.

Cheers!

TPI plastic metal look Wheel nut covers :)

photo238p.jpg

Just wipe clean and come with removal tools :)

Just spray WD40 in them and on the nuts before you put them on :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-BLACK-WHEEL-NUT-BOLT-COVERS-TOYOTA-AYGO-/170493354788?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item27b2322324

That's where I purchased a 21mm set for my Yaris and they were too tight. I'm not saying the same will apply for the Aygo as yours seem to fit perfectly!

The listing specified a metal removal tool too but they supplied a flimsy plastic thing which would have broken on it's first use. I received a refund.

I got a really good metal removal tool :) and doesn't scratch them when you try to take them off :) and they come off nice and easily :) and shine nice when wiped

I got a really good metal removal tool :) and doesn't scratch them when you try to take them off :) and they come off nice and easily :) and shine nice when wiped

Thanks Viper, I've seen those myself on eBay, I was hoping someone would testify that they're good! :help: So cheers, I might get myself a set of those, seeing as my wheels are identical to yours, so they should fit. I had an email off the company I bought the others off today, saying "if you measured them properly, then the 17mm should fit"... but obviously I'm having a similar problem to mrpj I replied telling them I definitely ordered the correct size, as yet haven't had a reply. Thanks for the replies here anyway, very useful indeed! Thanks :)

Your welcome gummy i had to take them off this morning as they came to pick my car up :) and they all pulled off no problem nice and easy and no scratches :) i got a Peugeot 107 as a courtesy car so not to bad :)

Your welcome gummy i had to take them off this morning as they came to pick my car up :) and they all pulled off no problem nice and easy and no scratches :) i got a Peugeot 107 as a courtesy car so not to bad :)

Cool!

I've put the dud ones that I got sent on eBay now in the hope that someone will want them, the company I bought them off were amongst the most unhelpful ever! :lol: