Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Interior -Poor Quality Plastics?

jasonjalet

I currently own a Smart Fortwo (newer shape) and I am considering a White Toyota IQ Luna (or IQ2 I think).

However, I have some concerns, mainly about the interior's poor quality plastics.

When the IQ first came out I noticed that the plastics seemed to scratch easily, I literally swiped my nail against the dash and a big scratch appeared. That was over a year ago.

Yesterday I test drove a 2 year old IQ and the interior cabin was rediculously scratched.

Its a shame that Toyota has used such poor quality materials.

How are you guys finding the interior of your car? Is it really THAT easily scratched? Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

The new light coloured interior seems absolutly fine.

Obviously they are only a few months old,

but I have been in a few of them & seen no scratches & think the plastic quality is fine for a vehicle trying to be kept

down in weight.,

maybe i am just not fussy tho.

I never understand what people do in a car to scratch it, (well i can imagine some things)

I can see that jewlery or buckles or zips might sometimes make a scratch on the type of surface,

but do people really need to be totally careless with their vehicle?

Seen plenty of scratched older/dark colour interiors.

It seems to be like a compulsion when someone has seen wet paint & a 'wet paint' dont touch! sign.

they touch to see if the paints wet..

People seem to look at the original colour interior & try scratching a finger nail along it to see if it scratches,

well going against the grain of the plastic surface with a nail or sharp object,

it does show up as a scratch..

I havnt ever seen anyone try the same thing on the new colour for some reason.

george

Welcome to the forum.

The new light coloured interior seems absolutly fine.

Obviously they are only a few months old,

but I have been in a few of them & seen no scratches & think the plastic quality is fine for a vehicle trying to be kept

down in weight.,

maybe i am just not fussy tho.

I never understand what people do in a car to scratch it, (well i can imagine some things)

I can see that jewlery or buckles or zips might sometimes make a scratch on the type of surface,

but do people really need to be totally careless with their vehicle?

Seen plenty of scratched older/dark colour interiors.

It seems to be like a compulsion when someone has seen wet paint & a 'wet paint' dont touch! sign.

they touch to see if the paints wet..

People seem to look at the original colour interior & try scratching a finger nail along it to see if it scratches,

well going against the grain of the plastic surface with a nail or sharp object,

it does show up as a scratch..

I havnt ever seen anyone try the same thing on the new colour for some reason.

george

i dont know about the later models but my 2007 auris plastics and cloth trim is very poor.i got it s/hand and has loads of scratches in it.as already said very easely scratched.it has nothing to do with hard or soft plastics.

wife hyundai has very hard plastic trim.there is no sign of scratching at all.our grandchildren have world war 3 when they are in it. theres no point in saying anything other than the quality is very poor.

those who say its fine, cant have driven many other brands,and are talking through their backsides.

have a look where the seat belt parks up when not in use.

the seat material and door cloth trim is a disgrace.

Funnily i have been a car sprayer/refinisher since 1976 & am still involved in the motor trade & car sales,

so see rather a lot of vehicles inside & out.

I do admit tho that i reguarly talk through my backside.

george

Funnily i have been a car sprayer/refinisher since 1976 & am still involved in the motor trade & car sales,

so see rather a lot of vehicles inside & out.

I do admit tho that i reguarly talk through my backside.

george

1976,is that all.ive been since 1951.

i rest my case.

lol,

age before beauty then.

anyone over 75 years old is always right in my world.

lots of experience's.

They get a free TV licence & extra personal tax allowances.

george

lol,

age before beauty then.

anyone over 75 years old is always right in my world.

lots of experience's.

They get a free TV licence & extra personal tax allowances.

george

youve forgot the free bus passes,and discounts at many places for SENIOR citizens.

even my fishing licence is cheaper.

but would give it all up to be as young and naive as yourself.

Ok,

i forgot how rude you can get.

& the humour bypass.

regards.

george

your correct,i must control myself.i am turning (or have already) into victor meldrew.

bang goers my new years resolution. please forgive.

its all down to senile decay.

I currently own a Smart Fortwo (newer shape) and I am considering a White Toyota IQ Luna (or IQ2 I think).

However, I have some concerns, mainly about the interior's poor quality plastics.

When the IQ first came out I noticed that the plastics seemed to scratch easily, I literally swiped my nail against the dash and a big scratch appeared. That was over a year ago.

Yesterday I test drove a 2 year old IQ and the interior cabin was rediculously scratched.

Its a shame that Toyota has used such poor quality materials.

How are you guys finding the interior of your car? Is it really THAT easily scratched? Cheers

When the IQ first came out about 2 years ago there was a big debate about how easily the interior could be marked, and many of the road tests at the time said very good things about the IQ but did not like the "cheap feeling" interior plastics.

I personally have had my IQ for 2 years and about 15000 miles and the interior does not have any scratches, probably as we don't have children going in and out and we are aware of the "markability" and take extra care.

I believe Toyota took the criticism on board and have changed the type of interior material, as well as the other colour option, in the 2011 IQs.

If you are after a second hand one, then look around for one that doesn't have scratches...they do exist!

hi

mine's an ex demo 2009 job and while the interior plastic quality isn't up to my 52 plate RAVs , it doesn't seem to be holding up too badly , no unsightly scratches anyway. My dog hasn't managed to mark anything yet , I've had quite a bit of gear in the back as well. Just dont go out of your way to trash your interior i would think.

its a cheap car what do you expect?

Cheap?? I wouldnt call it a cheap car considering their price as new.

Either way, I've owned plenty of 'cheap' cars as you would call them, including: peugeot 107, smart fortwo, and the quality of the plastics in them is much better than the IQ.

Even if this was a cheap car Toyota cannot excuse their use of such crappy materials.

Shame considering the car is beautiful on the outside! :(

its a cheap car what do you expect?

what do you expect? you expect better than that

i dont have loose fittings on my auris,but the vidio shows exactly what i mean by cheap and nasty plastics.

the cloth on the seats and doors would not exist if they were any thinner.the trim quality on my 2 mondeos were far better quality than my auris.how do toyota think they can get away with cars built like that.

there is no excuse which ever way you try and cver for them.

My iQ3 has got the updated interior and the black plastic marks and scratches too easily. Check the area where the seatbelt retracts to, because I've noticed the black plastic there is marked from the seatbelt buckle rubbing against it.

Its hard to believe Toyota engineer didn't realise the failure of the first generation plastic interior and continue to roll out the 2nd generation plastic interior with the same materials on different colour...

I've checked with some local vehicle interior remake dealer and they told me it is not possible to simply use leather to cover up the plastic. Even if they manage to stick the leather on, they won't stick to the plastic for long.

Please let me know if anyone out there manage to find a solution to fix the poor quality interior, I am willing to pay 1-2k to get it fixed.

I've checked with some local vehicle interior remake dealer and they told me it is not possible to simply use leather to cover up the plastic. Even if they manage to stick the leather on, they won't stick to the plastic for long.

Please let me know if anyone out there manage to find a solution to fix the poor quality interior, I am willing to pay 1-2k to get it fixed.

I am seriously considering an IQ, however I would need to have some of the interior trim redone. Kinda crazy thinking of fixing something I don't already have.

But yeah, let us know when/if someone manages to reupholster the interior!!

I really don't see it as a problem.

OK, a small car costing as much as an IQ should have a more resilient interior, but it hasn't.

So you either live with it or buy a different car in the first place.

My IQ has been used daily for over 2 years and it not marked or scratched on the inside, and I don't treat it with kid gloves either.

I have transported many and various odd loads to our local recycling depot without marking the inside.

You just have to take care, as you hopefully would with any car.

I really don't see it as a problem.

OK, a small car costing as much as an IQ should have a more resilient interior, but it hasn't.

So you either live with it or buy a different car in the first place.

My IQ has been used daily for over 2 years and it not marked or scratched on the inside, and I don't treat it with kid gloves either.

I have transported many and various odd loads to our local recycling depot without marking the inside.

You just have to take care, as you hopefully would with any car.

have a look were the seat bellt clip parks,on the auris it son marks up.also inside the bottom of the doors if shoes touch them.as said before it others like kids.it takes the lightest of touches to mark .

dree it up as you will, the quality is absolute crap.

I bought my iQ in July 2009 and had the Guard X applied. I thought maybe that is why there are no scratches on the interior so far. I think that I have read other posts from people who have noticed this as well?

I bought my iQ in July 2009 and had the Guard X applied. I thought maybe that is why there are no scratches on the interior so far. I think that I have read other posts from people who have noticed this as well?

cant see how this makes much differnce,ok for staines,its a bit like paint work protection.wont stop chips.

well, compared to most other cars its cheap, considering the brand also!

can't say i've got any scratches on mine (yet) its a ex demo, 8500 on the clock

guess they have to keep costs down in some ways....

tis definately an innovation in design.