Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help

RNS

hello there

i dont come on the yaris part of the forums untill now i own a prius..... but a friend of mine is looking at down sizeing hes got a mondeo tdci auto at the min and the 2 cars he likes are the yaris 1.3 auto or the 1.5 colt auto. what do u guys think to the yaris auto ?

ps sorry for my spelling

Yaris autobox sucks (At least in auto mode. Few people here use it in manual mode and say it's much better like that.)

I'd only ever get a manual one personally...

Be aware that the Yaris "auto" is a "robotised manual".

That means its an ordinary manual gearbox where the clutch and gearchange is done by a computer.

So it is more economical than a traditional auto, but its the one area of the Yaris where people on this forum seem to be unhappy with the car.

I've tried a few as courtesy cars and its a strange sensation. As a passenger, it doesn't feel any different to the sensation when a driver changes gear in an ordinary manual car, but as a driver, you feel slightly out of control and the sensations you get when the car changes gear feel a bit unnatural (although probably only because the car is doing it for you and you're just sat there with nothing to do).

There have been a few people on here with reliability issues over the MMT geaqrbox, but given the numbers that must have been sold, I don't think there's a major unreliability problem - simply that because of the forum, you do get to hear from the people with issues...

Bottom line is that you need to try one to see if you like it or can live with it.

"Be aware that the Yaris "auto" is a "robotised manual""

As is the current Colt! AMT they name it, All Mode Transmission. :)

I must confess to now using mine more in E(auto)mode having got used to most of it's little "quirks". Now I know most of the times when it will enter silly sub mode, in E, I just use the manual mode for those occasions. :yes:

I agree, try one, and for a prolonged period on various roads.

Most 'auto' boxes are really semi-auto, i.e. computer controlled clutches.

IMHO the only ones worth a damn are the ones based on the VM DSG system, but the early Toyota MMTs are particularly unrefined. The new tweaks in the current Auris MMT firmware has apparently fixed most of the issues there, but so far they've not been filtered down to older models.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links