Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Avensis Tourer Smart Entry

Nightstalker

Hey all...

I'm about to get my hands on a 09 tourer with smart entry...

Now from what I understand the way it works is you walk up to your car and it unlocks itself...

Does anyone know how close to the car you need to be for this to work? I'd hate to be in close

proximity at work for instance and find that the car isnt locked... :blink:

Also does the car lock itself when you leave? Kinda feel nervous with this system, never had a car with that feature....

Regards

Rob

:huh:

you have to be pretty close so i wouldnt worry about it being unlocked when you are at work. it also wont unlock itself until you have actually put your hand behind the handle.

Mart.

you have to be pretty close so i wouldnt worry about it being unlocked when you are at work. it also wont unlock itself until you have actually put your hand behind the handle.

Mart.

Cheers for that Mart,

Does the system auto lock also when you get out of the car and walk away? B)

Mart.

Cheers for that Mart,

Does the system auto lock also when you get out of the car and walk away? B)

To lock place finger over sensors on top of door handle or use fob in normal way by pushing buttons on fob.

Mine works well, you soon get used to it.

As mentioned, you need to be very close. For instance, standing at the back of the car will only allow you to open the tailgate, the rest of the doors remain locked. If a waiting passenger tries to open the doors, it wont. Its a great system but it makes you lazy. I'm forever walking up the wifes Honda and wondering why it wont let me in, or losing my keys in one of my pockets because the car just lets you in so you dont have to remember where they are.... :rolleyes:

Its also clever enough to not let you lock it from the outside, if the key fob is inside the car.... However, it is very "vocal" (not sure if this can be turned off). If the car is running and you get out of it with the keys in your pocket (for instance to buckle up a small person in the back of the car), it beeps at you (inside and outside the car), or you go to the boot to get something, it beeps at you, or you start the car and get out to scrape the windscreen, it beeps at you (you can see a theme here....) Learn to love the beeps if you have nippers.... ;)

I too have a 2009 Avensis Tourer with this system. Like Brooksm says, it does make you very lazy! I can't help but smile when i see people getting into cars "the old fashioned way."

I can't fault the system and wouldn't be without it now.

I too have a 2009 Avensis Tourer with this system. Like Brooksm says, it does make you very lazy! I can't help but smile when i see people getting into cars "the old fashioned way."

I can't fault the system and wouldn't be without it now.

Agree with all the above, I have it on my Prius and it's fantastic!!!

I loved it on the prius and really miss it on my TR spec avensis, it's a great feature, and it has a big button with START written on it to ....... yes indeedee :)

if you lock the car and then unlock it without opening the door then after short while it will relock itself. at least on my auris it does. the door cannot be unlocked till after 3 secs after its locked.

but just noticed after reading other posts on here,that the boot should open seperatly, that is you can open the boot when standing near it.but ive always had to unlock the car first before opening the boot.after checking handbook it seems the a seperate sensor in the boot for this.

just been out the garage and double checked this and my boot does not operate as it should.

now my warranty ran out 4 days ago,so have just rang my toyota dealer explaining the problem,saying that they have been servicing it so why had they not noticed the defect.anyway they are getting back to me when the service manager is back from lunch.dont want any big bills to put this right.if they wont fix it for free,then i can live with it as it is.had a look for the sensor in the boot, but no sign of it,must be behind the trim,could just be a poor connection.

Tip for the winter

When you wish to warm up the car but don't wont to leave it unlocked and stealable.

Start the car as usual.

When you get out, you can't lock it using the Smart Entry or fob etc.

However if you extract the key from the fob, you can lock the car with the engine running.

brilliant tip thanks for that ;-)

if you lock the car and then unlock it without opening the door then after short while it will relock itself. at least on my auris it does. the door cannot be unlocked till after 3 secs after its locked.

but just noticed after reading other posts on here,that the boot should open seperatly, that is you can open the boot when standing near it.but ive always had to unlock the car first before opening the boot.after checking handbook it seems the a seperate sensor in the boot for this.

just been out the garage and double checked this and my boot does not operate as it should.

now my warranty ran out 4 days ago,so have just rang my toyota dealer explaining the problem,saying that they have been servicing it so why had they not noticed the defect.anyway they are getting back to me when the service manager is back from lunch.dont want any big bills to put this right.if they wont fix it for free,then i can live with it as it is.had a look for the sensor in the boot, but no sign of it,must be behind the trim,could just be a poor connection.

took the car in today to sort out the boot lock.

was informed that my auris smart entry has no antenna fitted for the boot,plus it has no button neet to boot opening pressure pad to relock after opening (boot only)they said some have some have it and some not.the car is a 07 reg 08 model.

so to open boot when car is locked then the car door has be unlocked first.no great problem but would have more user friendly if i could open seperatly.

has anyone on these forums have a simuler lack of this function on their cars .

the handbook does not say anything about this means of opening boot is on some models only.

they did not charge for checking this out, but booked it as a free safety check.

Hi,

I don't want to spoil the party, but the Smart Entry system, or more precise the "Passive Keyless Entry Systems" and immobilisers have recently been hacked with relatively simple and cheap methods called a Relay Attack.

A couple of Swiss guys demonstrated such attacks successfully on 10 modern cars.

I have the 15 pages article describing the attack in detail, and how to counter it.

I don't want to post it here, but I can PM it to anyone who has concerns about this. :(

Needles to say: I have a key and I'm very carefull with it...

Hi,

I don't want to spoil the party, but the Smart Entry system, or more precise the "Passive Keyless Entry Systems" and immobilisers have recently been hacked with relatively simple and cheap methods called a Relay Attack.

A couple of Swiss guys demonstrated such attacks successfully on 10 modern cars.

I have the 15 pages article describing the attack in detail, and how to counter it.

I don't want to post it here, but I can PM it to anyone who has concerns about this. :(

Needles to say: I have a key and I'm very carefull with it...

is nothing sacred?

I'm not too worried. The scumbags don't tend to target our sort of cars. "I nicked a Toyota Avensis" doesn't have much kudos in car thieving circles. ;-)

...doesn't have much kudos in car thieving circles.

Maybe, but there are enough professional criminals out there who do their "jobs" silently, without respect for models and without interest in kudos.

For them, it's only the result that counts and the easier and cheaper the tools, the larger the profits.

is nothing sacred?

No.

No matter how clever an authentication- or encryption system, sooner or later it will be cracked.

The only way to prevent that is to design and manufacture entrance systems so complicated, that either the cost of the required tools are higher than the potential profits, or cracking the codes takes longer than a vehicle's average lifetime. :unsure:

Unfortunately, that would make these protection systems very expensive or so impractible for consumers that they will want their key back. :thumbsup:

...doesn't have much kudos in car thieving circles.

Maybe, but there are enough professional criminals out there who do their "jobs" silently, without respect for models and without interest in kudos.

For them, it's only the result that counts and the easier and cheaper the tools, the larger the profits.

is nothing sacred?

No.

No matter how clever an authentication- or encryption system, sooner or later it will be cracked.

The only way to prevent that is to design and manufacture entrance systems so complicated, that either the cost of the required tools are higher than the potential profits, or cracking the codes takes longer than a vehicle's average lifetime. :unsure:

Unfortunately, that would make these protection systems very expensive or so impractible for consumers that they will want their key back. :thumbsup:

a key locked car couldnt keep my wife out.

Oooo, mine doesn't even go in when I give her the key.

I told her an Avensis is a bunch of computers, that simulate a car. :D

I didn't tell her there's an ECU in her Yaris...